Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

mp3 for basic disco
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
otresb

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 S Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
mp3 for basic disco

How do you connect a ipod to the basic stereo unit in a disco 3 with base radio? I asked the dealer who asked LR in Sydney and they said it was not possible.

Post #2996527th Nov 2005 12:49 pm
Roddy

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

If it helps see this thread: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5950#5950.

I assume your radio is the single CD version like mine?
 Discovery 3 'S' Bonatti Grey.  
Post #2996727th Nov 2005 1:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
otresb

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 S Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

yes single cd unit

Post #2997127th Nov 2005 2:05 pm
macstech

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

there is a cool little device from iriver. I got me one when i visited the US. Works great, but prob not allowed in Europe

https://secure15.nexternal.com/shared/Stor...oducts.asp

Post #3006528th Nov 2005 5:21 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

macstech wrote:
there is a cool little device from iriver. I got me one when i visited the US. Works great, but prob not allowed in Europe

https://secure15.nexternal.com/shared/Stor...oducts.asp

I presume you mean the wireless transmitter. Not allowed technically in the UK due to arcane broadcast laws.

Plenty of people use them though, with varying degrees of success.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Last edited by KL on 28th Nov 2005 9:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #3008828th Nov 2005 8:50 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There are a few FM iPod transmitter products (including built-in charger) available from www.expansys.co.uk (search FM Transmitter).

"All-in-one Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger plays and charges iPods using the car's FM radio and DC power source. Convenient push button operation with digital display. Patented Aerielle wireless technology for superior audio fidelity. For iPod or iPod mini with dock connector. 5-year limited warranty and free technical support.

Works with the new iPod® nano.

Features

All-in-one digital FM transmitter and charger plays iPod tunes through the car's FM radio.
Simultaneously charges iPod using the car's DC power source (cigarette outlet).
Transmits iPod tunes through any available FM radio frequency.
Simple up/down button speeds frequency selection and three programmable buttons lock in station presets.
Patented Aerielle wireless technology enhances noise reduction and stereo separation.
Safety fuse protects iPod from power spikes.
For iPod or iPod mini with dock connector.
5-year limited warranty and free technical support"

Is this any use?
(Text courtesy of Expansys)
Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #3009828th Nov 2005 9:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baybers

Saudi Arabia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I found it very annoying that the advertising for the LR3 here in Oz said that it came with MP3 capability, so now as a new owner i have the same problem.

I think that I will write to Land rover and ask them to fix it if at all possible.

Other than that I am pleased with the car. I was very suspicious of the build quality of LRs of the past when compared with toyota etc, but it seems that they have spent some time developing this one

nice forum guys Smile

Post #363256th Jan 2006 8:52 am
Baybers

Saudi Arabia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The other thing about the car, is that it looks great in the gun metal grey colour, which has the added effect of scaring little children, my own 2 year old son refers to it as the monster, and asks mama to make it go away.

Post #363316th Jan 2006 9:00 am
anthill

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I use a Belkin FM transmitter with my Ipod, I will eventually fit a socket to connect to the Aux input of the standard radio. I fitted a 12v socket to power the transmitter and Ipod (the two front sockets were already used) behind the cubby box (non there unless you have the Aussie HSE), the wiring for the socket is there and just requires plugging in unfortunately no wiring for the aux input. The FM transmitter works ok most of the time but can get interference from other RF sources.
 TDV6 SE (Ausie Spec) COOOL Chawton White.  
Post #363866th Jan 2006 1:05 pm
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I might have some more information on this issue from Land Rover Australia soon as they are looking at it - indeed they seemed surprized initially to find that the brochure actually said the Hifi System is CD/CDR/MP3 compatible. I dont think anyone has asked them the question before or pointed them to what the sales brochures say.

At worst I am hopeing that the standard single disc player was from Alpine in which case there should be another unit compatable from Alpine which can simply slot into the hole.

TDV6 SE - and loving it. Best car I have ever owned by a mile.

Post #411636th Feb 2006 4:52 am
anthill

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I have had a reread of the brochure and it does say the radio is MP3 compatible, it also says that seven cup holders are fitted whereas the SE only has six. I have emailed Land Rover Australia. please keep us informed if you get anywhere with them Vo Rogue.
 TDV6 SE (Ausie Spec) COOOL Chawton White.  
Post #411676th Feb 2006 7:45 am
Dougal

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Just been on ebay and there are number of fm transmitters on offer. Just did a quick search on "ipod fm transmitter".

I've ordered a GRIFFIN iTrip FM TRANSMITTER. Looks pretty cool but does not have a charge funtion. It does however allow you to select any FM frequency, unlike many which are set on bwteen 1 and 4 frequencies. It cost just over £11 plus £6 p&p.

I'l let you know what its like when it arrives.

Post #412266th Feb 2006 11:55 am
martin4x4

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

MP3 refers to the fact that the CD player will play MP3 CD's and not that it will necessarily allow the connection of MP3 Players. Although that said I see for various posts here that there is an AUX in port which can be used for the purpose of connecting an iPod or like.

If you have the AUX port then connect via the docking station and not the earphone socket if you want decent sound!
 Discovery 3 XS Auto, Stornaway, Active rear diff.  
Post #412466th Feb 2006 1:21 pm
Dougal

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Re: mp3 for basic disco

otresb wrote:
How do you connect a ipod to the basic stereo unit in a disco 3 with base radio? I asked the dealer who asked LR in Sydney and they said it was not possible.

Apols Martin, I thought the original post referred to connection of iPods

Apols for the next bit of techy speak, but read on if you're interested Embarassed

As you said MP3 is just a compression codec (code / decode) to reduce the size of the file; there are a plethora of codec on the market - some shared (WMA, OGG MPC), some proprietry (m4a, ra) etc etc

Most commercially available CD writing applications provide the option to encode using either a selected codec or native audio files. If you are writing to CD and your CD player does not read your preffered codec just write it as a native audio file. You may get less tracks on the CD, but you will maintain the integrity of the original recording (in reducing file size, many codec also reduce the quality of the sound - although this is often configurable and it then becomes a trade off)

So that said, your option is to burn a CD and spend your driving days juggling disks, or connect your iPod via AUX or FM transmitter and enjoy the views

Post #412716th Feb 2006 3:43 pm
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Dougal wrote:
Just been on ebay and there are number of fm transmitters on offer. Just did a quick search on "ipod fm transmitter".

I've ordered a GRIFFIN iTrip FM TRANSMITTER. Looks pretty cool but does not have a charge funtion. It does however allow you to select any FM frequency, unlike many which are set on bwteen 1 and 4 frequencies. It cost just over £11 plus £6 p&p.

I'l let you know what its like when it arrives.

my wife has the Griffin for her iPod.
I have the XtremeMac AirPlay for my iPod. http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/wireless/airplay.php

Take a look as it doesn't require any software to be loaded on the iPod (which interferes when using the shuffle option for random playing) and it has a digital display of the fm station you are transmitting on.

(When running shuffle on ur ipod and using the iTrip at the same time, other frequencies are played as part of the shuffle and it ends up changing what channel ur running on.) just my 2c worth.

i'm lucky to have the aux input in mine, so i just leave the audio cable in the glove box nowadays ...
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #413807th Feb 2006 10:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >