Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

MP3 player or iPod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 
MP3 player or iPod

Having got use to having no cassette player and a 6 disc changer in the Disco 3, I now have a single Disc unit and an MP3 socket in the new Disco 4. I am told the way forward to avoid keep changing the CD is to have an MP3 player or iPod. Looked at them both in the shop but now don't have a clue which would be best in the car. I don't want to listen to it while jogging (as I don't jog! Laughing ) Just use it in the car.

Which way should I go - MP3 or iPlayer and then do they all work in the Discovery 4. Confused

Any help would be appreciated.

Post #6998874th Oct 2010 10:20 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

You seem to have an HSE (applies to XS too), so buy a 16GB USB memory stick for about 25 quid, fill it up with MP3s, ram it in the slot under the cubby box lid and you're sorted. The interface isn't quite as slick as using an iPod (which plugs into the port next to the USB port but then rattles around in the cubby box in a peculiar fashion), but for the couple of hundred quid difference, even I can put up with it... Any 'normal' MP3 player can only play through the aux in jack, so there's no touch screen control at all.

You can rip all your CDs as MP3 using any number of tools (Windows Media Player, iTunes etc) and you'd have to do that anyway if you got an MP3 player or an iPod. My 4,500-odd MP3s at 128kb fits onto a 16GB stick and should keep you in music for even the longest journey!

Martin

Post #6999104th Oct 2010 11:25 pm
doubledoom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I wouldnt have anything under a bit rate of 192. I find 128 too low. I use 256 VBR.

Personally, i use an ipod classic in mine. That gets round the problem of having to choose a range from your collection (as you wont fill up a classic in a hurry). However, you then have the problem that too much choice on the road with the finicky ipod controls on the disco mean you sometimes wish you had less to choose from Rolling Eyes

Post #6999155th Oct 2010 12:06 am
Dexter

Scotland 

Must say I'm getting used to the USB stick which is really easy to use and no big deal if it gets stolen from the car, or lost! As all my i-tunes files are in AAC format I had to download a free mp3 convertor (Switch Sound) and you have to set up the folders on the USB as you want to see them on the D4 touchscreen (logically - Artists / Album / Tracks). Once you get the hang of it it doesn't take long to get the files onto the USB.

The first one I did was 'only' 2Gb which took around 15 albums at the highest bit rate of 320 I think.

Sound system in my XS is fantastic Bow down

Dex

Post #6999525th Oct 2010 8:54 am
MartinR

doubledoom wrote:
I wouldnt have anything under a bit rate of 192. I find 128 too low. I use 256 VBR.

You can tell the difference above the road noise?! If you've got an old iPod lying around, the higher bit rates are fi fine, but I think the OP needs to buy something, and 128kb means I can fit everything on a 16GB stick rather than having to choose, or pay silly money for a 32GB stick!

Post #6999625th Oct 2010 9:28 am
doubledoom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
You can tell the difference above the road noise?!

I can. My wife can't. I think its one of those things you are either sensitive to or not. I also run my songs through a DFX enhancer called idfx (not my master library, just the ones to play via the ipod).

The cost of USB sticks has dropped, if you buy online. The shops are still charging silly money for generic brands.

Post #6999645th Oct 2010 9:46 am
MartinR

You're not driving fast enough Wink

Post #6999955th Oct 2010 11:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >