Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

MP3 on standard stereo (not the premium model)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

There have been a couple of posts about mp3 capability of the premium stereo, but I'm trying to sort out some mp3 cds on the basic stereo (the standard one on the base Disco 3).

I've tried most things without success- I keep getting 'disc error' when I load it.

I've tried creating mp3 disc on different burners without success
I've tried different cd brands
I've tried putting tracks in folders and no folders
I've tried burning 'audio cd' and the discs work fine.

I'm using Nero 6 and selecting 'create cd rom iso' as the option- which has worked for me in the past for the few occasions when I've had to make an mp3 cd.

Any suggestions? Am Iexpecting too much? The manual isn't clear whether mp3 cds are readable on standard or premium stereo.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #799022nd Jul 2005 12:07 am
Malferg

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I recently burnt a CD using Windows Media player which used a Media Audio File (WDA). This was about 26mb for the whole album. I loaded the CD in into my Standard Audio system of my SE and it worked perfectly.
There must be another reason for your problem
Regards
M
 D3 TDV6 SE 2005 Bonetti and Ebony  
Post #799422nd Jul 2005 1:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

kevinlally, the standard stereo supposedly doesn't support MP3. Call or web form Customer Service is you want an official answer.

Malferg, you probably burned an Audio CD using Windows Media Player (that would play on any CD player)... not a "data CD" that contains MP3 files. If you browse the CD on a computer, you should see files called {name}.mp3.

The LR system does NOT support audio files in Windows Media (WMA) format.

Post #800022nd Jul 2005 4:44 am
Malferg

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Grommet,
The CD I created was using Windows Media Audio. 18 tracks,a total of 28.8mb. I have been listening to it in my LR3 SE for the past two weeks.
This is the standard player so it definite accepts a media audio file. Another disc I created has 10 albums on it and that also works with room for at least another ten albums on it.
M
 D3 TDV6 SE 2005 Bonetti and Ebony  
Post #800122nd Jul 2005 6:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

Ok, well there you go...

If Malferg has the single non-changer CD player "standard" system, and has a disc with .MP3 files on it that plays fine... there is proof it does indeed work as it does on my "premium" system.

kevinlally, I don't know what to tell you. I guess you can try using another program to burn the data disc... your burner seems to be fine, since you can make an audio CD. Maybe try what Malferg is using... Windows Media Player 10 --> Burn --> Data CD?

Last edited by grommet on 22nd Jul 2005 8:14 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #800522nd Jul 2005 8:12 am
KL

Re: MP3 on standard stereo (not the premium model)

Malferg wrote:
Grommet,
The CD I created was using Windows Media Audio. 18 tracks,a total of 28.8mb. I have been listening to it in my LR3 SE for the past two weeks.
This is the standard player so it definite accepts a media audio file. Another disc I created has 10 albums on it and that also works with room for at least another ten albums on it.
M

Did you use Nero / Roxio / MS media player to burn the CD? Is the 'standard player' the single disc version in your country?

Thanks Malferg and Grommet for your help.
I've got a HD mp3 player (Creative) but I thought it would be nice to have a 'standard' mp3 disc in the car for childrens stuff and another with wifey's favourites, so that they can have it always there rather than pinching my toy and messing with it.

Never mind!

Post #800622nd Jul 2005 8:13 am
Roddy

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I've tried every which way but would say that the BASE radio with single CD does not have MP3 capability. End of story. Tap into the Aux and use iPod.

Post #802222nd Jul 2005 11:04 am
KL

Roddy wrote:
I've tried every which way but would say that the BASE radio with single CD does not have MP3 capability. End of story. Tap into the Aux and use iPod.

Thanks for this.

By 'tap into the aux' I presume you mean the connectors at the rear of the head unit? I've not yet had a really good look round my 1.5 day - old car yet, but I seem to recall reading an old post about the rear of the unit having an aux line in.

Post #802322nd Jul 2005 12:28 pm
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Re: MP3 on standard stereo (not the premium model)

Malferg wrote:
Grommet,
M

A SE would not have a standard player it would be a premium player which will play MP3's

Post #802522nd Jul 2005 12:39 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

When you insert the CD you have just burned back into your PC and browse it (hold "shift" down while it spins up if you want to stop it autoplaying), what does it show?

If it just shows lots of files called (for example):

blahblah.mp3
dshfds.mp3
ertetert.mp3

or

track01.mp3
track02.mp3
track03.mp3

then it should work... Let us know if it says anything else. Depending on how you've got Windows set up, you may not see the ".mp3" bit, which makes it more difficult to check whether the tracks are in mp3 format or another format (such as WMA), so if this is the case, in the Windows Explorer window that you are browsing the files from, select "Tools", then "Folder Options", then in the window that opens up select the "View" tab, then in the list of check boxes look for "Hide extensions for known file types" make sure this is UNchecked, then click OK.

Post #804422nd Jul 2005 1:36 pm
anthill

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

scorpio,

The Australian SE is fitted with the standard radio. I have also tried all different methods of creating an MP3 disk plus other file formats without success. Sad

Post #813623rd Jul 2005 7:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >