Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

MPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
graemem

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

you see this is what confuses me, if you let the engine wind up slowly it takes longer to get to a cruising speed. Stomping on the gas (within reason) surely gets you to a cruising speed quicker. So is it (in MPG terms) better value to take it slowly to speed i.e. travelling less distance in the same time or is it better to travel greater distance in the same time period. So if you were using a cup of fuel (I wish) which driving option over the same distance would use the most fuel.

I am stil struggling to see where the torque comes into this Brian (I never was mechanically minded) but I recall in my old days on the farm always being taught to high rev the engine into the gear change on both landrovers and tractors.

So if you forgive my ramblings there are clearly some guys & gals getting superb MPG, what is your driving style that gets you that? High revs or low revs? and where does the torque come into it?

Post #1819719th Sep 2005 10:03 pm
BN

England 

graemem wrote:
you see this is what confuses me, if you let the engine wind up slowly it takes longer to get to a cruising speed. Stomping on the gas (within reason) surely gets you to a cruising speed quicker. So is it (in MPG terms) better value to take it slowly to speed i.e. travelling less distance in the same time or is it better to travel greater distance in the same time period. So if you were using a cup of fuel (I wish) which driving option over the same distance would use the most fuel.

I am stil struggling to see where the torque comes into this Brian (I never was mechanically minded) but I recall in my old days on the farm always being taught to high rev the engine into the gear change on both landrovers and tractors.

So if you forgive my ramblings there are clearly some guys & gals getting superb MPG, what is your driving style that gets you that? High revs or low revs? and where does the torque come into it?

Simple, use the torque which comes in around 1200 rpm and drops off severly at 2200. After that you are just making noise and getting no where. Sort of boy racer style. Landies are built to tow upto 3.5 tonnes and need all the grunt at the bottom because it would not move anything with high revs. Simple.

I average 29 to 32 mpg in a similar location to yourself, being up the road from you.

I starte this in the early days of the site and some guys took it on board and it does work. I actually earn my living getting economy out of fleet drivers.

Post #1820219th Sep 2005 10:28 pm
Pelyma

England 

And it does work, but you do have to think a bit about it initially, particularly if you have an auto
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1823220th Sep 2005 8:01 am
graemem

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Will give it a go and see what happens. I am currently doing 25mpg measured (rather than instrument) so will report back in a couple of weeks.

Post #1856020th Sep 2005 7:44 pm
OMAHA

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Im getting 28mpg at the moment, combined driving up and back from Dublin. Im only driving the engine in so im taking it easy. would fuel consumption get better after the driving in period?

Post #1903822nd Sep 2005 12:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jim

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Having read Brian's post on the torque range, I fully intend to try and stick to it.

Just filled up as part of the test.
Old style driving was exactly 24.68mpg. Thud Thats is if I have worked out my conversion correctly, put in 45.5 Ltrs which I think is 10 Gals exactly. Which makes the rest simple as I had done 246.8 miles.

Hope the 'BN Method' inproves this for me Smile
 Jim  
Post #1905022nd Sep 2005 2:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Jim_Last wrote:
Having read Brian's post on the torque range, I fully intend to try and stick to it.

Just filled up as part of the test.
Old style driving was exactly 24.68mpg. Thud Thats is if I have worked out my conversion correctly, put in 45.5 Ltrs which I think is 10 Gals exactly. Which makes the rest simple as I had done 246.8 miles.

Hope the 'BN Method' inproves this for me Smile

Jim, it does work, but it is hard. I have done it most of my life as a business. Full to full is the best way of working out your mpg. I think you will also find, I do not hang about as Slimer found the other day, so you can get going once you know where the torque is most useful. Best of luck.

Post #1905322nd Sep 2005 2:21 pm
Jim

Thanks Brian, I am certainly looking forward to the results. Have already noticed the improved accelleration changing between 2000 and 2500 revs, working the gears. I guess that this is how LR expect slightly better mpg from the manual over the auto box.
 Jim  
Post #1905622nd Sep 2005 2:25 pm
BN

England 

Jim_Last wrote:
Thanks Brian, I am certainly looking forward to the results. Have already noticed the improved accelleration changing between 2000 and 2500 revs, working the gears. I guess that this is how LR expect slightly better mpg from the manual over the auto box.

It's not really that Jim, you are just using the power where LR designers put it at the bottom end. Have you tried the brake test yet?

Post #1905822nd Sep 2005 2:36 pm
allie

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
Jim_Last wrote:

It's not really that Jim, you are just using the power where LR designers put it at the bottom end. Have you tried the brake test yet?

Bn what is the brake tst? I am glad to say I drive the way you recommend, when my husband drives it which is not to often, he can not get used to it and complains about the lack of power as he is driving it like a performance car. he remains impressed with it on long journeys, not around town.
 Allie

A11 EEY 

Post #1905922nd Sep 2005 2:51 pm
BN

England 

allie wrote:
BN wrote:
Jim_Last wrote:

Bn what is the brake tst? I am glad to say I drive the way you recommend, when my husband drives it which is not to often, he can not get used to it and complains about the lack of power as he is driving it like a performance car. he remains impressed with it on long journeys, not around town.

The brake test is to simply show just how much power the D3 has. It is very simple. Find an area that you can place the car in low range, level or uphill. Put the car into 1st gear or lock into 1 in an auto. Then DO NOT touch the accellerator and let the car move away. Keeping your foot away from the gas. An auto needs a bit of gas to move off then off the gas as it moves. Now press the brake pedal gently and increase the pressure. The car will alter the power automatically and you will find it is very difficult to stall the car. Take your foot off the brake just before it does actually stall. You can do this uphill by the way, not just on a level ground.

Then ask hubby to try that in his sporty cars Very Happy

Post #1906022nd Sep 2005 3:01 pm
Jim

Brian,

I will have to try that Smile

Maybe over the weekend sometime.
 Jim  
Post #1906122nd Sep 2005 3:10 pm
BN

England 

Jim_Last wrote:
Brian,

I will have to try that Smile

Maybe over the weekend sometime.

Jim the bit that is clever, even if you go up a steep hill it will work. The car is really clever.

Post #1906222nd Sep 2005 3:13 pm
allie

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
allie wrote:
BN wrote:
Jim_Last wrote:

The brake test is to simply show just how much power the D3 has. It is very simple. Find an area that you can place the car in low range, level or uphill. Put the car into 1st gear or lock into 1 in an auto. Then DO NOT touch the accellerator and let the car move away. Keeping your foot away from the gas. An auto needs a bit of gas to move off then off the gas as it moves. Now press the brake pedal gently and increase the pressure. The car will alter the power automatically and you will find it is very difficult to stall the car. Take your foot off the brake just before it does actually stall. You can do this uphill by the way, not just on a level ground.

Then ask hubby to try that in his sporty cars Very Happy

Most certainly will Twisted Evil Laughing
 Allie

A11 EEY 

Post #1906722nd Sep 2005 3:47 pm
adam

United Kingdom 
MPG

Mid 20's for me
Pay's your money, takes your choice
Merc C class I had before (2.6 V6 Petrol) not much better
Bet you can't guess what I prefer.......
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #1913922nd Sep 2005 9:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >