Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

MPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

so.., I had a pug 406v6-24v, it did about 25mpg, I've a manual d2, it does about 25mpg,... the d3 cometh next week....

wdyar? Laughing
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #1914722nd Sep 2005 9:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
croyde

Just done a full to full on a half long journeys and half city driving and have got 20 mpg.

Not much worse than my BMW 323 but a lot worse compared to everyone else here.

The car has only done 500 odd miles though, so maybe it will improve with time, hopefully.

Post #1957724th Sep 2005 9:44 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I don't think it's as bad as all that, the first couple of tanks in my 406 averaged below that! The TD5 took about 3000 to creep above 24 as well, I think it might just takes a little time to 'familiarise' with the driving style maybe?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #1958124th Sep 2005 10:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
croyde

Sat behind a lorry on the motorway this evening at 55 mph, reset the trip computer and over 10 miles it showed 40 mpg.

As soon as I accellerated to 75 it dropped to 34 mpg and kept on dropping till it settled around 29 mpg.

What was nice was when getting on the motorway I reset the trip and it briefly showed 63 mpg, but this was whilst settling and heading downhill on a trailing throttle.

Post #1968825th Sep 2005 10:34 pm
BN

England 

croyde wrote:
Sat behind a lorry on the motorway this evening at 55 mph, reset the trip computer and over 10 miles it showed 40 mpg.

As soon as I accellerated to 75 it dropped to 34 mpg and kept on dropping till it settled around 29 mpg.

What was nice was when getting on the motorway I reset the trip and it briefly showed 63 mpg, but this was whilst settling and heading downhill on a trailing throttle.

I have posted many items on mpg. The main thing is to run the car in first, no idling, no overspeed etc. Second is that harsh accelleration will not help the car especially later in life. Also the power band is from 1200 to 2000 rpm anything below or above is wasted energy and fuel. The D3 is a grunter, not a racer as the guys who have been on the fun days have found. It will pull up a hill on tickover from a standing start that you cannot walk up.

Always check mpg from full to full on the diesel tank. Hope it helps.

Post #1969926th Sep 2005 6:46 am
newtolr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

so filled up this morning, that's always fun.

Anyway reset things and after 10 miles it showed 18mpg, then 5 miles later i was on 49mpg, so thought not so good.

Pulled over, turned the engine off, waited 10 mins and then started again.

Back to 28.6 mpg consistently for the other 50 miles.

weird!

Post #1970126th Sep 2005 6:50 am
BN

England 

newtolr wrote:
so filled up this morning, that's always fun.

Anyway reset things and after 10 miles it showed 18mpg, then 5 miles later i was on 49mpg, so thought not so good.

Pulled over, turned the engine off, waited 10 mins and then started again.

Back to 28.6 mpg consistently for the other 50 miles.

weird!

Now that is quite interesting because just before my car broke down big time the other week I had exactly the same things happen. I don't see why yours should break down as you have nothing wrong and my engine had cut out recently before, but it is quirky.

Post #1970326th Sep 2005 6:52 am
croyde

As BN says, the best way to check MPG is the tank full to full method and get out your calculator.

The Trip is dealing with constantly varying parameters and should only really be used as a rough guide over a long trip.

Can't stop playing with it though Laughing

Post #1971426th Sep 2005 8:46 am
BN

England 

croyde wrote:
As BN says, the best way to check MPG is the tank full to full method and get out your calculator.

The Trip is dealing with constantly varying parameters and should only really be used as a rough guide over a long trip.

Can't stop playing with it though Laughing

Another small point is that my D3 does not alter the trip between day to day driving unless I do. The one I borrowed from LR the other week had a daily reset system.

Post #1972226th Sep 2005 9:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >