Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

MPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
stuart27

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I've now done about 4000 miles since new in March 06. The best I got was on a motorway run from Darlington to Glasgow....approx. 28 mpg. 26mpg is best I get on a mixture of dual carriageway and limited town. If I drive more aggressively, this drops to around 24 mpg.

It's an auto so I guess it's not at all bad for a car of this size, but filling up time is painful!!! Petrol station attendant thought someone was stealing diesel the last time I filled up and was relieved when I came in to pay!

Will seriously consider chipping when I'm confident there are no long term problems.
 2006 TDV6 SE Auto :- Buckingham Blue with Alpaca  
Post #5908419th May 2006 8:29 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I guess I'm either very gentle or lucky with my particular engine, but I've got pretty good economy from day 1.

When the car was 2 weeks old we went on a 1500 mile trip around Ireland, with 7 and luggage . Twisty roads and some dual carriageways- averaged 34.5mpg overall (most driving was 40-55mph, with little traffic)

Normally in mixed motorway use we get 30-32mpg
Around town and in traffic we get 26-27 mpg.

Easter monday I did a trial run fully laden- a 340 mile straight drive from W Sussex to NW tip of Wales. Averaged 33.7 mpg on 70% motorway /30% dual carriageway, which included a fair bit of heavy traffic and roadwork sections (pootling at around 70 when we could).

In conclusion, I think we get good consumption given the size and loading of the car, and it's down to a combination of driving style and our particular engine.

BN has posted excellent tips in the past for optimising fuel economy. Basically try and keep the car in the 1700 -2000rpm band, and you won't go far wrong.

Turbochip has been touted as being good for a few extra mpg. I've not tried them, as I'm far too tight to spend out £600 odd on such frivolities!
Might be worth a look if your particular engine doesn't seem to be giving its best on the economy though.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #5909219th May 2006 9:12 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

stuart27 wrote:
I've now done about 4000 miles since new in March 06. The best I got was on a motorway run from Darlington to Glasgow....approx. 28 mpg. 26mpg is best I get on a mixture of dual carriageway and limited town. If I drive more aggressively, this drops to around 24 mpg.

Dread to think what aggressive driving would do to my fuel consumption!! Mind you, my partner is not noted for her passive driving style, nor for having any sympathy toward anything mechanical - thank goodness she only has the D3 twice a week!!!

Another Darlington resident eh Stuart27? Probably seen you and your D3 around from time to time. Did you get yours from Stockton?
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #5910819th May 2006 10:19 am
stuart27

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Sure did.....from Rossleigh in stockton. Not had any dealings with them yet....other than initial purchase. (which was somewhat less than a special experience!) I had a jaguar s type 2.7td before and when I bought that from new...the dealer made a real effort...car draped in black cover for unveiling and a bottle of champagne. Not much cost involved, but at least made you feel as if you'd just paid £35k for a car! Spent £38k on the D3 and got sweet FA!

Wrt fuel issue....I think I'll mention the consumption to them when I get the 1st service as mine seems to be below par compared to a lot of others. I should mention I generally drive with economy in mind...i.e. try to keep revs below 2000rpm, so would have expected better than 24-26mpg for the routes I take.
 2006 TDV6 SE Auto :- Buckingham Blue with Alpaca  
Post #5912619th May 2006 12:59 pm
lr1

United Kingdom 

Reciently after averaging 25.5mpg decided to drive much easier. My journey is across country and then some town traffic to work each day. Round trip 40 miles.

After 2 weeks of not resetting the trip I am averaging 31.6mpg.

Even thought I am taking it easier my journey time remains about the same!

Post #5912919th May 2006 1:06 pm
RS

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4
Fuel Economy

I have noticed with all diesel cars that there is a big improvement in economy when the warmer weather arrives. Less oil drag etc. Short winter trips are not good news for my economy which dropped to 24 at one point. Now averaging 30mpg on most runs staying at legal limit. Towing a heavy caravan (1700kg)in winter dropped economy to 23 but I am OK with this. My Defender 90 used to give 30 mpg solo and 24 mpg towing.
Webasto heater in the winter might be a gas guzzler. Even if I just move the Disco in my driveway when temp is below about 8 degrees (which is most of the time in winter) the heater fires up and does not switch off even with the engine off. I wouldn't mind if it also heated the cab!

Post #5913819th May 2006 1:54 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

stuart27 wrote:
Not had any dealings with them yet....other than initial purchase. (which was somewhat less than a special experience!) Spent £38k on the D3 and got sweet FA!

My purchase was a pretty flat experience too and as for further dealings, I don't know that I'll bother with them. There's this oufit in Sunderland http://www.4wheeldrive.co.uk/ who I shall be contacting when my first service is due. Done 8500 miles now so am over half way there.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #5913919th May 2006 1:59 pm
Keith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi stuart27

Got my HSE from Rossleigh in Stockton. Had it serviced with them & they seem OK. It goes in for a computer upgrade next week so will keep you posted on results. Your fuel consumption seems about par to me. I've averaged 24.1 over last 1k mls of mixed driving. Motorway driving might see it up a bit but if you don't reset it, it always seems to settle around that over 8.5k mls of driving.

Post #5914019th May 2006 1:59 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

RS now don't get techie on us! Thought U might get onto the heater point.

D

Post #5914319th May 2006 2:09 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Stuart I'm only getting 23ish mpg, will be worse as that was the 1st tank & I'm now officially now no longer running it in. Tried the manual shift on the auto but forgot to switch back to manual after ofertaking so drove for a few miles up at about 3000rpm Embarassed

If I get less next tank I'll blame the wife as she was using it last 2 days!

Derek

Post #5914419th May 2006 2:14 pm
RS

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Hi DSL.

I'm learning all the time. What a great site to pick up tips. Thanks for the info!

What news on the underbody protection? Give me a call pls.

RS

Post #5914519th May 2006 2:20 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Don't I manage to have U call me all the time?? I just know to call U when U are in a meeting & U have to call me back. If U are on here U are not in a meeting so now is not a good time to call!
will give U a shout.

D

Post #5914719th May 2006 2:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >