DISCO3.CO.UK > General

MTRs V Road Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 
MTRs V Road Tyres

You know the phrase ‘I didn’t realise how good it was till it was gone’. Well this week my D3 has been in to have the broken CV joint replaced. Land Rover collected my car and delivered it to my dealer. A replacement car turned up for me whilst my car was in for repair. This car was an 06 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto (same as mine), I loaded the car Monday and proceeded to carry out my usual working week this being driving around the UK fixing and surveying water tanks.
I can now confirm that I would not hesitate in changing to Goodyear MTR tyres. I have used the MTRs on my car for about 70,000 miles now. The ‘loaner’ had 19” road tyres on I don’t know what they were Embarassed , the mileage was 7,500 and the tread depth looked low.
To keep this brief I will simply highlight my reasons. The UK has had a fair bit of rain this week and the roads have had standing water on them.

Aquaplaning:- I could not believe how easy the standard tyres let go, the MTRs win hands down.

Wear:- OK this is a hire car so who knows if the tyres are genuine to the car/mileage, the tread was 2-3mm from the wear markers. At 7,500 miles you cant tell that the MTRs have actually been used. I change my MTRs after at about 33,000 35,000 miles and they still have usable tread left.

Mud:- The loaner had to work a lot harder to keep momentum, and steering was very vague. The MTRs do a great job in keeping you going and pointed in the direction you chose.

There you go for what its worth Wink

Post #10467625th Nov 2006 8:16 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Great news for those with 19's Big Cry none for 18 or 17 inchers... and I really wanted some MTR's too Confused

Post #10468525th Nov 2006 9:14 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

But simon U can get Cooper STTs (or is it SSTs, never can remember)! For what you paid for those 17s, you owe it to yourself!

Andrew, how much do you think MTRs reduce mpg?? I cruised to Yarwell at constant 60mph (sad git I know) and got 28 mpg, previously I'd been getting 33 for similar driving on Pirelli Zeros.

Post #10469025th Nov 2006 9:31 pm
simon

DSL wrote:
But simon U can get Cooper STTs (or is it SSTs, never can remember)! For what you paid for those 17s, you owe it to yourself!

I know Smile

Post #10469225th Nov 2006 9:41 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Or you could put them on your Chrissie list, Santa might just squeeze then in! Shocked Laughing Laughing

Post #10469325th Nov 2006 9:42 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:

Andrew, how much do you think MTRs reduce mpg?? I cruised to Yarwell at constant 60mph (sad git I know) and got 28 mpg, previously I'd been getting 33 for similar driving on Pirelli Zeros.

Not a clue but I would imagine the rolling resistance of 'off road' tyres will be greater than 'road' tyres resulting in lower MPG

Question Do the tyre manufactures actually state the rolling resistance of their tyres, if not then why not Exclamation

Post #10469925th Nov 2006 10:23 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:
Great news for those with 19's Big Cry none for 18 or 17 inchers... and I really wanted some MTR's too Confused

The Coopers are a good off road tyre chap. We have them on our 110 Defender and the boys don't complain about them, in fact they have transformed the ride in the Defender to being quite enjoyable. They are 150% better than the Bridgestone crap Defenders are supplied with.

Post #10470225th Nov 2006 10:34 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I noticed the same the other day when I left my Cooper STTs on after the Yarwell trip. I drove through large puddles at speed and couldn't feel a thing and very little water splashed up too. It was very impressive. I'm now back on my 19" Pirelli Zeros and while they improve the car's handling, you certainly have to hold on when you hit water.
I may keep the 17" STT's on for a few months when the bad weather really sets in. They should be good in the snow....if we ever get any.
 Matt  
Post #10471726th Nov 2006 12:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

Cheers boys.

Anyone have any good sources for Coopers ?

What is the real world difference having the STT's on instead of Wranglers when on the road ? Will they cause alarm on corners that the Wranglers take with no drama ? Will they be OK cruising up and down the roads at 70 (and a bit maybe) ?

If they are cheap enough I may consider putting them on sooner. I'm happy to have brand new Wranglers for winter (along with a new wheel style I kind of prefer to the 18's) as they will give me more wet weather grip than the set I currently have that are starting to lick in TC on occasion now in the wet.

Post #10472326th Nov 2006 1:34 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I swap between the STT's and Wranglers and the difference on the bitumen (wet/dry) is noticable. The STTs are more vague in the steering due to the bigger tread blocks and softer compound. Of course there is less rubber contacting the road with the STT's as well due to being mud tyres and are 245 vs 255.

On wet bitumen I feel less confident to comit the D3 into tight turns with the STT's on with fear of a big understeer off the road.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #10473926th Nov 2006 10:44 am
simon

thx Chris. Kind of expected I guess, as each to their designed job.

Post #10474626th Nov 2006 11:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >