Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Multicar Insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Vanguard

United Kingdom 
Multicar Insurance

Hi all. Am looking to get a comparable quote for a 4 car multi car insurance policy. More people seem to be doing it now (as well as Admiral) but struggling to find an insurer who would include all members of the family but not all of whom live at the same address. Anyone had experience of this?

Post #188520730th Nov 2017 4:57 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Be aware that Admiral will migrate policies over to one policy as and when they expire with your existing insurer and then all policies will then expire on the same date....fine for the first year but year 2,3 and 4 they then whack you straight between the eyes on renewal Day....

I fell foul of this trick and then suddenly you are left trying to reinsure 4 cars on the same date which becomes a bit of a marathon...

I am now with Axa on a multi car policy for my cars and the missus... you are right in the fact they don’t like younger drivers and won’t touch them....as a result both of the kids car’s are with Admiral owned companies which I found via comparison sites...

Always worth negotiating with the insurance telesales on renewal.... knocked £40 off only yesterday with Axa on renewal of wife’s Cooper Works....

Good hunting!

Post #188521330th Nov 2017 5:21 pm
Vanguard

United Kingdom 

Cheers! Crazy thing after spending hours on line I can get individual policies cheaper than the multicar quotes! Its definitely a racket that you can only crack, as you say, with negotiation.

Post #188522030th Nov 2017 5:57 pm
Farmer Chalk

Use those quotes to your advantage....I use confused.com and have set my account with all my cars...saves hours and hours of form filling... just as I receive my renewal I do a search and get the cheapest prices..

I then ring either Axa or Admiral and tell them I want to leave as I have cheaper quotes elsewhere..invariably Axa will price match at worst ... with Admiral they seem to own most of the smaller cheaper quoting companies using different brand names and will also negotiate a cheaper deal to keep them....

It definitely works and sometimes I wonder how they can insure so cheaply.... Very Happy

Post #188522630th Nov 2017 6:10 pm
Dave T

England 

we are with Admiral for three cars including a 19 year old with an Adam, the renewal came in at just under £1700 for D4, Golf and Adam, a very good price I would say.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #18853461st Dec 2017 7:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Aviva for us and they have become wise and no longer seem to push the prices up on renewal. As such its not worth the cost to move.

£220 for the PHEV and £419 for a multicar policy on my V8 / JCW.

Post #18853531st Dec 2017 7:38 am
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

caveat emptor!!!

I was with Admiral a few years ago. I ended up with 4 cars on the same policy.

Everything was fine until they pushed the price up.. then I looked to go elsewhere. The BIG BIG issue was that I LOST MY 20+ NCD on 3 out of the 4 cars!!
ie the new insurance providers would only accept that I had ONE POLICY.. so only 1 lot of NCD!!

caveat emptor!
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #18853661st Dec 2017 8:58 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

I've been with Admiral for a few years now as a single policy, but have just moved son no1, SWMBO and the house insurance on tot he policy and have made huge savings. Moving all the policy's to the same date is not an issue for me as I always put aside a few hour every year to get he best deals

Next year when the quote is due, I will still search around both for individual quotes and multi quotes to make sure I get the best price possible

Only problem for me now though is my 'No fault' accident that has to b e declared next year Sad

My advice would be to move to Admiral (Or similar) if you can get a great price, but always be prepared to put the legwork in and move policy(s) again next year Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #18853841st Dec 2017 9:59 am
Farmer Chalk

Totally agree with Iggy..... Thumbs Up

The other thing that worked for us was that we got a full years discount for a 9month period that we added our lad onto the multi car policy....which helped us enormously....

Axa likewise have also been excellent upon renewal and amazingly always came back cheaper than advertised on a comparison site...

You just need to play the game and be prepared to move... tell them you’re leaving and they always seem to be able to drop the price further to retain you as a customer! Confused

Post #18855111st Dec 2017 4:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >