Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Multiple issues (TV, PDC, AV, 4x4 Disp., Low Coolant....)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3
Multiple issues (TV, PDC, AV, 4x4 Disp., Low Coolant....)

Hi everyone,

I am a proud new owner (since 16-03-2020) of an old D3 (2007). I was living in UK before and had a happy Freelander Mk1, now I moved to the Netherlands and decided to get a D3 TdV6 HSE.

Nice drive, smooth, powerful, comfortable, in summary, IT IS GREAT and am loving it.

Before I decided to post here, I spent many days and night researching here and elsewhere about the faults... I will start by those that bother me less and I pretty much can live with it. Some background information: one of the previous owner, installed another AV input (a Playstation) using an inverter and the cables going under the seat. The car is fitted with headrest displays, Eurologics M-VSC-33 controller and supposedly TV receiver. Also Bluetooth.

1 - Low coolant warning in dashboard: Apparently it is a known issue with the expansion tank, I checked the level and it is high enough, so I assume the problem is with the floater (and it will continue to be Laughing )
2 - I am not sure if this is an error or just me being picky. 4x4 display shows the image of the differential only N or R (Hi). It never showed D or anything else. Should it show D ? (The dashboard shows all correct). All other driving terrain showed ok including the little opened padlock when applicable.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

3 - The bluetooth was not working and after some post from Wiggs and others I manage to make it work with my phone, Skype and whatsapp call worked perfectly. Thanks guys.

4 - Today I manage to disconnect the power from the right display as it was broken and I realise that the AV controller was actually working, but the remote control receiver was corroded, a bit o wiggle here and there and now it works, I can independetly turn each screen on and off as well as select AV1, 2 and 3. (DVD is currently AV2, TV??? is AV1 and AV3 is available for my chromecast project)

5 - Now we talk about TV, I am not sure if it is working or not. It shows in the main display the numpad and TV things, but I cannot select the country nor see anything from channels. Basically I can change channels from 1-9 but nothing changes in the display. I could not trace the AV1 cable to see where it comes from. I have only 2 remotes, 1 for the eurologic and 1 for the DVD. Both are working now. I used the 753 trick and the config shows the TV there. Is the receiver powered? Where is it located so I can check the connections. In the rear right window there is a connector in the center but the other two connectors are not connected (left rear window is not connected at all).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
I could never select the country as I can select the TV format below

Click image to enlarge

Here one can see the selected by becoming orange.

Click image to enlarge

6 - PDC does the looooong bip in the back and then flashes the light in the switch. I removed the connectors and it was sort of corroded green-ish colour. A little spray of contact cleaner and some brush, it worked for 30 seconds then bip again. It works very intermittently, so I am not sure if the problem is with the rear sensor, the loom, the module, the contacts. Any tip or help here will be appreciated as this is for now my priority.

It is all cleaned now, but strangely where the corrosion is, there is no connected pin.

In summary, point 6 is highest priority to be fixed and point 5 will be a bonus.

What I can tell, the fuse F47-15A going to the boot 12V connector was blown (probably because the inverter they used for the Sony PlayStation, turned off now) replaced the fuse and all is fine. There is a fuse connector in boot which goes to outside (I assume it is for the trailer connection, correct?)

So.... I have on the left side boot trim from the back to front: a power supply to DVD and Eurologics, an inverter, the eurologic module, 3 noise decoupler for sound, the PDC and the Playstation power supply.

On the right side boot trim, I could see the Radio receiver, the Sony controller for the center console connector (old school) and the bluetooth.

Sorry for the huge post guys, I tried to be as concise as possible and present all the issues and points that might be correlated.

Could any of you help me at least with point 6 (and 5)?

My next projects are: make the display trick to have RangeRover options and install HDMI to AV converter so I can use anything there, especially my chromecast.

Attached you can some pictures I took, I will take more tomorrow during the day showing all the stuff together.

Thanks a lot and let me know if more info is needed on anything.

Almost forgot, I am looking to buy the parcel shelf for the D3 7seat as well, anyone knows a cheap place to get one second hand? Wink

Cheers
Andy

Post #213230227th Mar 2020 11:03 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Do you have front park sensors?

If no, buy 2 sensors off eBay and swap them about until you hopefully get it working

Post #213230727th Mar 2020 11:34 pm
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

Hi @Pete, Thanks for the question.

Yes, there are front and rear sensors.

I tried to disconnect the rear connector to see if the front would work, no luck same fault. Same for disconnecting the front connector only.

The outer-left-rear sensor could be damaged due to a small hit, but I thought the others would work.And they are a pain to change.

Is there any way to check/test individual components (sensors, loom, module)?

Post #213232328th Mar 2020 12:20 am
Pete K

If any one of 8 go short circuit , all 8 stop.

A fault code reader like gap iid will tell you. But these are expensive.

The long error tone probably points to a fault with rear sensors.

Bumper loom wiring can also rub and fail

Post #213234928th Mar 2020 8:25 am
Prette

Thanks again Pete,

I tried to read the DTC with a cheap ELM327 I had laying around. No messages at all, but I guess this cheap version will not read those specific codes.

Is it possible to test each sensor, directly at the connector by the module, using a multimeter? At least this way it will be possible to test the sensor and the loom. Also, I was planning to remove the PDC module and open it to check if there is sign of corrosion inside. Do you know it this is possible, or is it a sealed unit?

Yeah, I read about the bumper loom, I was trying to avoid removing the bumper. Sounds like a major job. It could also make sense, Arrow last week I lowered/raised the car to test the system and suddenly the PDC worked for 10 seconds then fault again.

Post #213236328th Mar 2020 9:36 am
Pete K

Sadly no.

You really need to remove the bumper.
You aren’t going to fix it without doing this.

Leave the sensors out and dry them in the house for a few days

Post #213237728th Mar 2020 11:19 am
Prette

Well... a long time has passed. I managed to find a new (used) rear bumper, as mine was broken anyway. Embarassed

Swap the bumper and in the mean time tested a new loom with new (2nd hand) sensors. all same errors with PDC.
I tried many combinations of sensors (I have in total 8 sensors, and I refuse to believe that 4 are broken).

So... new (2nd hand) bumper is installed. Really nice and easy job actually, and I took the time to repair/isolate some loom for the trailer that rubbed in the counter-weight/balance-weight, or whatever is that dangling thing in the rear behind the bumper.

Anyways.... I tested two looms and 8 sensors and the long beep persists. I removed the connector from the front bumper and the beep transferred to the front followed by a message saying "front parking assistance deactivated) reconnecting the front parking connector and again, no message, just the looong annoying beep.

I tested the loom with a multimeter, all the wires are conducting perfectly. (no breaks nor shorts) I also measured the sensors with the multimeter, all seems to measure the same, although I am not sure with to test or the value to get.

Does anyone have any further idea of what/how to test?
I only have EML327 to read the codes but so far I have not found any good app to use with it which shows the PDC codes.

I fear I will need to rely on the steealer next week. Big Cry

Post #213772713th Apr 2020 12:10 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Top tip, buy a GAP IID, since there are 30 ECU’s on your disco3 you will earn it back in no time..
It is not JUST a code reader, but much more and IMHO needed if you maintain your LR yourself...

Regarding the pdc, it will exactly pin point the faulty sensor(s)

You can even update your ecu’s to the newest firmware etc. Although some are free, some need a small amount of money..
Saves money and time very very quick... believe me Wink
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #213774313th Apr 2020 1:10 pm
Prette

Thanks all for the help. I bought a code reader. Thumbs Up Bow down

First issue (6) PDC solved. Result here: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/parking-sensors-187435-15.html

HDMI to AV is working perfectly, I can use chromecast/amazon fire, and whatever outputs HDMI into my center screen and rear seats. (also DVDs, but not TV though, I think I do not have a receiver ... yet Wink )

As I said, next step is to check the right-hand door mirror that does not fold. (or adjust properly).

Post #21438235th May 2020 5:05 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

You should have the tv fitted the box should be behind the right hand panel in the boot if it was not present the tv button on the screen would be greyed out so i would think it there some where if not it may have been fitted with nav tv which is aftermarket so see if the box is in the rear first Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #21438645th May 2020 7:17 pm
Prette

Hey Geoff,

I have checked that already. No TV box there. Nor anywhere else.

I suppose the previous owner have fitted something else to use their DVD, Xbox, and aux input. There is a box behind the leftside of the boot trim that control all the inputs. I traced almost every cable except one the all important Input AV1 that gives me a black screen.( AV2 is the DVD and AV3 was the xbox, now is my HDMI. )

I am not too bothered with that. A bit disappointed tho.

Post #21438735th May 2020 8:38 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

Perhaps you should trace that cable as i thought unless the box was connected it would grey out the button the screen as it would break the most loop so would not work and the fact you can access those screens.The other option is speak to the previous owner see if he can shed some light Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #21439446th May 2020 8:48 am
Prette

I will definitely trace it after I sort the suspension.

Not worth asking previous owner, he is not a tech guy, he simply took to the steaeler and pay for it.

I am sure there are somethings aftermarket in the entertainment of the car (DVD, XBOX kit, inverter, power supply, etc...) I am just curious to know what the Censored goes into the AV1.

As far as I traced, the cable goes from rear left (behind the boot trim) to the right under the rear seats (together with the right-rear-screen feed) then they separate, at the rear-right-door-step, screen cable goes under right seat and up to the screen, the AV1 goes somewhere via the right foot step, I lost it here, and I suppose it goes in direction to the fusebox and I assume to the center console, that will require me to remove the trims and possibly the screen itself. Not worth atm.

Ps.: I also checked and no AV wire or TV module is in the right side nor is the antenna connected to the window (only the center pin one, which I assume is the radio antenna). I do have the little horn in the car but I also think is just the cellular antenna and possibly GPS antenna, right?
What else could be fed as AV? Is there a hidden AV input somewhere I do not know? (middle seat console has only audio jack AUX in)

Post #21442507th May 2020 12:26 pm
Pete K

1. does it have a reverse camera
2. does it have an aftermarket unit under the left front seat?
3. does it have rear screens ?
4. does it have a green connector going into the rear of the left display .(if you happen to notice)

Post #21442547th May 2020 12:43 pm
Prette

1 - No reverse camera (in fact, when i shift reverse it stops the video and tell me to pay attention on the road Rolling with laughter )
2 - No aftermarket under the seat. (not that I noticed, only GPS under RH seat and amplifier under LH seat)
3 - Yes, two rear screens, one each side, on the headrest Traced them already. AV1 OUT is left-rear, AV2 OUT is right-rear, AV3 OUT is the center-front main LCD.
4 - dunno yet, I never took the trim or the center screen off. Yet Whistle (I own the car for less than 2 months Sheep )

any ideas?

Post #21442587th May 2020 12:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >