Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Mutliple faults lit up the dashboard
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 15 <123 ... 131415>
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The dirty connectors from the TCM behind the battery as Wiggs said are probabally the cause of your errors in this case.

Ill await your map file when your car is alive again.

Pete

Post #68186611th Aug 2010 10:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
slrk1725

Sweden 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Yes, he was probably spot on.

If you have a chance listen to the mechanical noise that the gearbox makes - I edit my previous post with the youtube link.

Fredrik

Post #68187211th Aug 2010 10:20 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ive not herd that noise before, may be its the hi/low solonide faulting with the rest of the faults.

Post #68187711th Aug 2010 10:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
slrk1725

bellautos wrote:
Ive not herd that noise before, may be its the hi/low solonide faulting with the rest of the faults.

I talked to the mechanics today and they have ordered a new Hi/LOW "motor" since that was broken.....if that is the root cause or not.... I don't think they know

Fredrik

Post #68345717th Aug 2010 8:14 pm

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hej Fredrik,

Sorry to read about the tough start of your D3 relationship Big Cry
Really hope the hi/low motor solves the issue for you, but all those lights and warnings seems more like a wiring or ECU problem to me.

/1784 Thomas

Post #68383618th Aug 2010 9:24 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

That noise is the sound of the parking pawl slipping. That noise can only happen if the vehicle is moving. If your vehicle was stationary when you filmed the clip, then something is seriously wrong because the gearbox is turning, when it actually should be stopped.

Your transfer box could be stuck in a neutral gear, which might explain why your mechanics have ordered a new hi/lo motor.

I am not expert on any of this, other than I know that the sound is the same one you get if you put the car in Park before it has stopped moving Whistle

Post #68385918th Aug 2010 10:01 pm
slrk1725

@ Thomas - nice to see you here as well. The car is at PIKAB so I have confidence in them at least.....

@ Gareth - The movie clip was filmed when the car was stationary on my parking lot. HOWEVER when it first starting to look like a video game on the dash board the EPB engaged by it self while the car slowely was rolling.

Fredrik

Post #68392019th Aug 2010 7:56 am
slrk1725

Hi
The car is back from the garage with a new steering module for the auto gearbox - the computer behind the battery. It was full of goo according to the mechanics.

Next step is to read the ECm map again to see if they did something to that and send it to Pete for a tune Very Happy

Thanks for all feedback

Fredrik

Post #68655927th Aug 2010 5:21 am
Discogeek

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Multiple faults lit up on dashboard

Just had my 57 plate Disco in for it's 45K Service, it had the service and then went to be valeted and came up with multiple faults very similar to this, the garage were brilliant took ownership of the problem and over the course of three days diagnosed the faulty pin. We thought it must be the valeting to start with but this seems unlikely. It was corroded because water was collecting behind the battery and under all the electrical boxes. Seems all the wiring is not very well shielded at all, plus water is getting in somewhere? There is a rubber grommet where the wires come through above the wheel arch / leading us to think this is how the water in getting into this bulkhead underneath all the electrics. I am assuming I cannot be the only Discovery 3 with this problem?

What a nightmare! Now I am left wondering how long before it happens again.

Post #6997334th Oct 2010 3:52 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Sorry for the slow reply, just seen this post.

The three connectors you have are for the transfer box ecu. The reason you get a grinding noise is because the transfer box is in neutral, allowing the gearbox to spin when you go through reverse to park, the gears are still moving, & the park pawl is grinding over the spinning gears.

I can't seem to get your other photo to display, so can't help with that connector.

I would suggest, as the transfer box ecu has to have communication through it to allow the high speed CAN network to function, you have still got a bad connection, or worse a water damaged transfer box ecu. remove the ecu & carefully remove the tabs & outer case, you will probably see water damage.
You will need to repair the loom connections to it, & see how bad the terminals are on the ecu, as I have seen some corroded right off.
If still no luck, you may need a new transfer box ecu & will have to have it adapted to the vehicle.

When you have it all working again, seal outer rubber grommets & ebox case with sealer to prevent it happening again

Regards
Steve

Post #6997444th Oct 2010 4:08 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Multiple faults lit up on dashboard

Discogeek wrote:
Just had my 57 plate Disco in for it's 45K Service, it had the service and then went to be valeted and came up with multiple faults very similar to this, the garage were brilliant took ownership of the problem and over the course of three days diagnosed the faulty pin. We thought it must be the valeting to start with but this seems unlikely. It was corroded because water was collecting behind the battery and under all the electrical boxes. Seems all the wiring is not very well shielded at all, plus water is getting in somewhere? There is a rubber grommet where the wires come through above the wheel arch / leading us to think this is how the water in getting into this bulkhead underneath all the electrics. I am assuming I cannot be the only Discovery 3 with this problem?

What a nightmare! Now I am left wondering how long before it happens again.

I would suggest it was the valeting. The transfer box ecu is behind the main battery and is prone to getting water in the connectors and shorting them, which is why on the D4 it is in the second battery box. This can wreck the whole module sounds like you (or hey) were lucky and it just caused corosion and a bad connection.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6998474th Oct 2010 9:11 pm
Discogeek

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the info regards this, I am not convinced it was the valeting at all, the pins were corroded and looked like it had happened over a period of time. It's obvious Land Rover are aware of the issue, hence moving it on the D4. I was also made aware that the plastic box covering it was actually open a little, maybe from new? or left by the local dealer? The servicing company have been fantastic, doing all the repair work FOC spending hours researching and fault finding for 3 days. They have asked for the car back in about a month to check if water is getting in again. So I'll keep everyone posted. I think all D3 owners should check this out, because the dealers will not be so thorough and they'll just throw new boxes at the problem.

Also the wiring is not well shielded anywhere under there, very amateurish to say the least! Just asking for trouble.

Post #6999935th Oct 2010 11:49 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Put a current accross the connection with the detergent it can corrode vary fast.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7000645th Oct 2010 1:51 pm
charlo

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Maya GoldDiscovery 3

I had a similar problem, left D3 into LR dealer who spent next 5 days trying to sort it out. localised it to "Ride Control Module". got software upgrade and the module didn't need replacing they also sorted out some poor wireing issues from my bluetooth. So far So good but cost a bomb! Crying or Very sad

Post #73534121st Dec 2010 8:46 pm
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The same has just happened on my 08 D3 XS, i drove down the road, stopped to talk to a friend and the dash lit up like a fruit machine, various messages.....

HDC fault
Gearbox fault
Engine fault
Suspension lowered,

Tried at first to cycle the ignition........ No better
Tried the hard reset.........still no better

Call made to land rover support, they advise me no LR tech available so the called the AA, he turns up, does what i did, no joy, he links up his diagostic kit and finds no faults or errors logged, he rings tech support who advise him the faults point to a blocked fuel filter, he isn't geared up to do the repair and advises me the car will need to be recovered, this was saturday and recovery was not available until tuesday because of the bank holiday, i tried to get Courtesy car but could't have one until the Dvla was open as i didn't have my licence on me, i was 140 miles from home in north wales, Big Cry

Tuesday comes round and the car is recovered and taken to conwy landrover, at 2.00 oclock the courtesy car turns up... Nissan Pathfinder... Nicish looking car with all the toys... But being honest drove and felt poor towards the D3 (being generous)

4.00 oclock conwy lr ring me and tell me the car is fixed.....

The problem.....Brakelight switch....

Now why couldnt the AA diagnose that....

Good service from Conwy LR and a nice clean car

4 days without my car for a job that took less than 20 minutes to fix
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #8024451st Jun 2011 2:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 15 <123 ... 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >