Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Mutliple faults lit up the dashboard
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 15 <123 45 ... 131415>
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

the ecu is a one vehicle only use ie you'll have to buy new.

for it to be adapted to the car the vehicle has to have the software re-installed via the dealership.

as an easier explaination:

imagine you buy a computer with no software on it (ie your ecu), you need to have an operating system (ie microsoft windows 7 etc) installed to get it to do anything Thumbs Up

Post #9872028th Oct 2012 11:48 pm
Banjoplayer

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3

character wrote:
the ecu is a one vehicle only use ie you'll have to buy new.

Thanks for the tip, I called the Land Rover importer in Norway and got it confirmed that it's a one vehicle unit. The VIN is hardcoded into the TCU when the vehicle is assembled and this info cannot be overwritten.

I suspect the official justification for this is that it reduces the risk of vehicles being stolen for parts. The real reason is of course increased earnings for Land Rover at the expense of their customers. Mad

There is no technical justification for this nonsense as the TCU relies on configuration data to be constantly updated in the unit. I can forgive LR for sh*t quality and design errors in parts of the design, but when someone has made a concious decision to shaft their customers upon product failure, I get seriously Censored

I think I need a drink Wink
 Franco  
Post #9873259th Oct 2012 1:06 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

There is a capacitor attached to the underside of the gearbox (pull off the plastic guard and you'll see the connector for it). I think it's to suppress radio interference noise.

I was getting intermittent Christmas tree dash and not moving out of park. Restarts seemed to solve it. Eventually the D3 failed completely and kept blowing the fuse for the gearbox.

Disconnected the capacitor - problem solved.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #9873349th Oct 2012 1:15 pm
njinstallation

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The Transformer wrote:
Try a hard reset? see the wiki for how to Thumbs Up

Hi where do I find how to do hard reset

Post #100620620th Nov 2012 11:45 am
Hoss

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Evening all

Got this problem now, must be six weeks ago first happened. "bing" and on came warning lights suspension system, dynamic stability control, brake system, HDC system fault, suspension lowering on reduced power. Did it twice but was cured by turning off ignition for few seconds. But then yesterday did it 3 times on 20 mile journey and today no go at all, booked into Lookers Bishops stortford in morning (if I can get it there!!) did go through some deep water on saturday ?????

Will keep u posted.
 D4 XS
2010 Buckingham blue 

Post #100948826th Nov 2012 6:46 pm
tsexon19s

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Unknown ColourLR3
My experience

For the past 2 months my 06' LR3 SE has been throwing multiple warning lights and messages. Similar to those displayed in the OP:

Transmission fault
HDC fault
Electric Hand Brake fault
Reduced traction
Terrain response system unavailable
and so on...all types of warning lights on the dash - looking like a US christmas tree (no offense)

No gears will engage - the dash indicates a F where the number ususally shows up (in sport mode)

I have owned the car for the past 4 years, and have put over 50k miles on it. Lots of long road trips, with mainly highway miles. The car originally started to show wear to the airbag suspension,then numerous sensors would go off and on. I have only maintained oil changes and changed breaks/tires. I took the car into a local LR mechanic after the car would not start on me. I was told nothing was wrong with the car based on his readings and diagnosis. I then did the 100k tune up, with spark plugs, cleaning fuel injectors, etc. The car started up just fine for the next few days. Yesterday, seemed like all the faults were being displayed again. I have read on this forum that the battery could have been the issue, and although when it was checked, it was not indicated to replace the battery. I ended up replacing the battery today and have noticed that all the all the fault messages, and sensor messages are now gone, and the car is even automatically locking the doors when in drive (something I have not noticed for years).

I love my car, but its electrical system is very frustrating. This forum has helped me a lot. Sometimes, the most complicated situations are fixed with simple measures. Maintain the car, don't cut corners and REPLACE the battery often lol. Thank you so much for all your help. It seems like most land rover dealers that I have dealt with only want money, so I am truly appreciative of this strong LR community! Thumbs Up

Post #100953726th Nov 2012 7:44 pm
Hoss

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

well, they phoned me & said low fuel pressure, needs new fuel filter, done & still the same. now saying fuel pressure sensor, parts to come tomorrow.

watch this space !!

Mick
 D4 XS
2010 Buckingham blue 

Post #101003327th Nov 2012 6:39 pm
Liston

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hoss wrote:
Evening all

Got this problem now, must be six weeks ago first happened. "bing" and on came warning lights suspension system, dynamic stability control, brake system, HDC system fault, suspension lowering on reduced power. Did it twice but was cured by turning off ignition for few seconds. But then yesterday did it 3 times on 20 mile journey and today no go at all, booked into Lookers Bishops stortford in morning (if I can get it there!!) did go through some deep water on saturday ?????

Will keep u posted.

Had same problem, turned out to be ride height sensor n/s with bad corroded wiring, water getting in under wheel arch when driving through deep water.
See if that sorts yourr problem out.

Post #102265921st Dec 2012 10:01 am
Bridgehill

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Mutliple faults lit up the dashboard

Thanks for making this forum!

I have also this faults now. The car was on the main service right before christmas and 1 week after the problem shows up.
Problem: The battery goes flat (its new battery) and the dashboard shows all this faults as mention in this thread. When i stoped car, the automat gear will not go out of parkingshift. Its like it dont aloud me to drive due to the low battery.
When i charge the battery, everything seems fine again for a while.. Is that the same problem?
I have also checked if it is charging, an it does. At least at the point/ time i´m checking.

Any solution? Confused

Post #103734418th Jan 2013 12:42 pm
Phifross

Nigeria 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Many fault messages even battery, Brake Light Switch changed

I have this problem for months now..... but I had also an accident to explain why I didn't do something for months too (A drunk man was driving a car without brakes (it's common here in Liberia) and hit my when I was just walking) Also I had to leave the country to receive treatment... during these months the LR3 didn't receive treatment... Laughing

Sometimes, when I try to turn on the car it's impossible.
I have plenty lights on the board and the most important I have found, the four flashers are on, when they are on, it's impossible to turn on the engine.
Sometimes, they will be off by themselves after few minutes or sometimes I have to wait (but I don't let the key on II) many hours also it is possible to turn on the engine, even if I still have many lights on the board.

More of that, I have plenty default messages like HDC, Transmission, Engine and brake faults....
They are not always the same, but plenty are here.

Whn I'm able to turn on the engine, I have anyway many lights on and many fault messages. After a bump on the road (common here too) or simply like that, the four flashers are on and at this time, the RPM and Speedmeter are no more working...
The more crazy is, when I press the reset button on the dashboard the four flshers will be off, for few seconds or few minutes... but what is the link between the reset button and that ? Really no idea !!!!!

I have seen also that when I have these many messages and lights on the board, I can't put the Parking Brake, sometimes it try to wok but it will not keep it...
Sometimes but not often when I touch the Parking Brake button I will have an alarm (dong dong).
Same when the key is on I and no more on II.
But when I remove the key, I can always put my Parking Brake without any problems.....

I have checked the ground wires on the driver side, under the carpet, nothing rusted...
I have checked the wires behind the dashboards, everything ok.
I have checked all the plug behind the battery everything are like new plug, no rust at all.
I have changed the two brakes sensors for brake pads.
I have checked all the fuses (very painful....) they are all ok.
I have checked also the plug lights for the rear lights, no problem at all
I have checked the wires behind the screen of the GPS.
I have checked the wires to the Parking Brake button and to the transmission too.

I have even tried the Hidden Display with the code 753 but I really don't understand the MOST what it does and I have not found an answer on internet.
I have seen that we can put another code 134679 but it seems dangerous because we can mess up the MOST bus functions.... but still I don't know what it is... and no explanation on internet

Soon I will be able to write a book how to remove any part of the LR3...

I change the Brake Light Switch, I check also my Brakes bulbs, they are from OSRAM not a Chinese brand... they are not broken too and they are well aligned.
I also changed my battery.
After that I did a hard reset. It was nice for three hours and again the same things happen.

I can't rely on something, sometimes will work sometimes not, not always the same fault message, not always the same lights on...
And in Liberia I'm really alone, I have to everything by myself.

I really don't know what to do, please please please someone can help me ?

I have also just seen now on this new Hidden Display that my brand new battery has a voltage of 11.5Volts when the engine is off and 12.5 Volts when it's on... Is it alright or too low ?
If it's too low, please tell me the Voltage I need to have.
Please tell me too some battery brands how are good one please !!!!

I have visited many forums and they were helpful about the Brake Light Switch, Bulbs, Battery and Hard Reset, but now, they don't know what to say...
I have done everything in my eyes.....

I really really need help, please give an answer, I'm really stuck here and it's not practical and even dangerous at night !!!!

Thank you so so so much in advance, really !!!

With my best regards

Philippe Frossard

Post #10478143rd Feb 2013 1:08 am
6605paull

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Fault codes FCR30 faultmate

Hi Everyone, not looking to hijack this thread but being a new member am struggling to start/join in a new post, just me I guess. Can any member please tell me re a FCR30 fault mate if when you clear a fault it should stay clear if it is not a fault that actually exists. I cannot get my head around the fact it reads numerous faults but the D3 drives OK and is not showing any alarms etc on the dashboard. I have a D3 SE model on a 55 plate, had it for 6 months. Also can anyone point me toward what the FCR fault codes actually mean please, i.e 5 digit codes prefixed with either U,B/P and the most common one a Comm 1 failure. I have looked but no luck. Thanks in advance. Bow down

Post #10501516th Feb 2013 12:44 pm
anglefire

England 

Just put the fault code into the search box on Pete Bells site http://bellautoservices.co.uk/

That will tell you most codes.

Then you will need to work out what the explanation means Laughing
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #10503906th Feb 2013 8:31 pm
6605paull

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for that, as you say what it then means is another challenge. Beginning to think if the vehicle seems OK ignorance in this case could be bliss. The reason I started asking was that my D3 during an MOT Question ended up with lights flashing everywhere apparently a stuck diff motor was the cause (it was fine before it went in for the MOT) not that I know what that does by the way.I assume the garage who to be fair who put it right and re calibrated it at no cost to me did not clear the numerous fault codes. I will clear the fault codes and then check in a week or so, hopefully they will stay clear. How complicated are these vehicles Shocked I need to find a site where only good things are said as I'm now looking and waiting for something else to go ti*ts up.

Post #10505036th Feb 2013 10:58 pm
Phifross

Nigeria 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
I need help please !!!

I wrote a post but I haven't received any answer about my problem.

Today I have changed the Temperature sensor and still same problem...

I check the wires it seems ok, any problem.

What can do that the temperature gauge is going up ? The car didn't start for two weeks as soon as I put the key in ignition, the four flashers were on and the temperature gauge was in deep red... how this is possible with a new temperature sensor ?
Like I wrote it beofre, in February 2nd, impossible to start the engine when the temperature gauge is up....

Please help me !!!!

Thank you !!!!

Post #106372627th Feb 2013 11:44 pm
ChrisD3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I had similar fault and it looks like you have tried all the recommended fixes from this forum

My fault was the (TCCM) transfer case control module that I had replaced today

My pics has example of fault light

Chris
 2005 D3 SE Auto  
Post #106410128th Feb 2013 7:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 15 <123 45 ... 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >