Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

MY07 SE TDV6 experience so far
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
MY07 SE TDV6 experience so far

Hi Folks,
I thought I would share my experience with my new toy - received on 29/12 - a late Christmas present.

For the run in, I made two trips down to Culburra Beach and back. No problems - ran like a dream. Good fuel economy too.

With 1000km on the odometer, I packed up the trailer, loaded family and headed to Murwillumbah.

Issue 1: trip computer range is totally wrong! I will have to take note on the way home, but the first half a tank seems to last a lot longer than the last half. For example, I was at Grafton and the range said something like 190 km - much further than the 133 km distance to travel. Well, I only made it to Woodburn - and that was after driving the last 30 km at 80km/h with A/C off... and for the last 3 minutes, the range was "0 km" Shocked Put that one down to experience... will not trust that again!

I saw a silver LHD D3 HSE TDV6 at Cabarita Beach with German plates. It had 17" (S) wheels and BF Goodrich A/Ts, and all the gear on the rack for a serious trip.

I now have over 3000 km on the odometer. Averaged 9 L/100km since leaving home. The permagrin is fixed... I love it!

Cheers,
Rob

Post #12047816th Jan 2007 11:24 pm
steveo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Rob,

I picked up my identical 07MY TDV6SE only a few weeks before you. I haven't done a long trip yet, just the usual commute but can confirm the same issue with the trip computer. I now fill up as soon as the amber light comes on if not before!

How're your auto wipers? What I'm finding is that there's almost no difference in the sensitivity of the wipe sensor when the rotary knob is turned on the wiper stalk. I find it far too "enthusiastic" at wiping drizzle.

How about the acceleration lag from standing start - is this an issue for you?

I'm really happy with the car, a couple of small niggles but nothing to write home about.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Post #12055717th Jan 2007 12:08 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Use the Sand setting for Dragster style starts (Search for another thread on this...) Smile
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #12055917th Jan 2007 12:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Rob,

Yes, the range indicator is not accurate, it will count down to 0=zero then roll over and start counting up if you refuel without resetting it. I refuel when I have done approx 650 to 700km.

Make sure you check your oil level. At 10,000km, mine required 1.2litre of oil. When new the diesel tend to consume a bit of oil before it beds in.
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #12089117th Jan 2007 9:15 pm
jonesy63

steveo wrote:

How're your auto wipers? What I'm finding is that there's almost no difference in the sensitivity of the wipe sensor when the rotary knob is turned on the wiper stalk. I find it far too "enthusiastic" at wiping drizzle.

How about the acceleration lag from standing start - is this an issue for you?

Hi Steve,
The auto wipers seem to work ok on mine - to a point. The problem (feature?) with mine is that they speed up fine when rain gets heavier, but never slow down when the rain gets lighter.

Acceleration lag from start - no problem with mine. Before I received mine, I had a petrol V6 D3 for a couple of weeks. Acceleration of the petrol model was much better than my previous drive of a TDV6. My previous drive of a TDV6 was when I was first looking at the D3. I can honestly say, I am now not thinking of having it remapped.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #12106318th Jan 2007 2:48 am
jonesy63

Which oil to use when away from dealers?

DiscoAtom wrote:
Hi Rob,

Yes, the range indicator is not accurate, it will count down to 0=zero then roll over and start counting up if you refuel without resetting it. I refuel when I have done approx 650 to 700km.

Make sure you check your oil level. At 10,000km, mine required 1.2litre of oil. When new the diesel tend to consume a bit of oil before it beds in.

Hi DiscoAtom,
What oil did you use? I am still at Murwillumbah and not even sure where the nearest dealer is. I recall seeing a post from someone saying to use Castrol oil.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #12106418th Jan 2007 2:53 am
away

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hey folks,

we picked our SE TDV6 up on 14-12-06. Since then we've changed the wheels to 17" and fitted 265/70R17 BFG's, Genuine roofrack, ARB winch bar, sidesteps, snorkel, CB radio, mob. phone antenna, GPS re-radiating antenna, bonnet and headlight protectors.

Coming soon are rear wheel carrier (tyre on one side, jerry can on the other), long range tank (110 litres - will go where the spare wheel used to be), Black Widow drawers with two fridge slides in the rear, Sheepskin seat covers for the front seat (that are designed to allow the seat mount airbags to deploy), winch from old vehicle getting fitted to winch bar and then I think (hope) the spending will stop.

I'm really happy with the vehicle so far apart from having read the owner's manual three times and still can't remember what all the widgets do. I, too, have the lag in the throttle. My other fourby (2005 Mitsi Pajero DiD - I know....I know...) is also a diesel, but doesn't have anywhere near the lag. It's a bit disconcerting.

I'd like to tell you whether the auto wipers work properly but it never rains here lol..

The Minister for Interior Decorating and I are off on a five or six year...nah stuff it...indefinte trip around Oz starting in July, so this was our choice of "retirement buggy". I think we've done the right thing.

See ya somewhere out there! Very Happy Very Happy
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #12106618th Jan 2007 3:33 am
DiscoAtom

Hi Rob,

I used Castrol Magnetec Oil. When I checked the oil level at 5,000km, it was just below full but at 10,000km, it was just below empty. 1.2litres of oil brought it back to full.
Your nearest dealer: Maybe, Gold Coast or Brisbane ??
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #12106818th Jan 2007 5:00 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

hi AWAY

Sounds like quite a journey you have ahead of you - if you want to test the auto wipers, drop down to South Gippsland and say g'day!

What accom plans do you have - camper, caravan, etc?

Regards,
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #12107018th Jan 2007 5:10 am
jonesy63

DiscoAtom wrote:
Hi Rob,

I used Castrol Magnetec Oil. When I checked the oil level at 5,000km, it was just below full but at 10,000km, it was just below empty. 1.2litres of oil brought it back to full.
Your nearest dealer: Maybe, Gold Coast or Brisbane ??

Hi DiscoAtom,
Yes - I looked it up and Gold Coast dealer is a bit less than an hour from here.

I checked the oil (again), and no movement... still full.

Will keep an eye on the oil level, but so far, so good!

Cheers,
Rob

Post #12114918th Jan 2007 11:22 am
away

TDMP wrote:
hi AWAY

Sounds like quite a journey you have ahead of you - if you want to test the auto wipers, drop down to South Gippsland and say g'day!

What accom plans do you have - camper, caravan, etc?

Regards,

I have a Kimberley Kamper. Got it new, just over a year ago. It has already been from Geraldton to Esperence to Broome and back. We're really happy with it.

Might just drop in too! I have an uncle at Briagalon that we will be catching up with and also a cousin at Sale.

Post #12120218th Jan 2007 1:33 pm
d3syd

Yes I concur. The trip computer is inaccurate. I got caught out a few months back and ran out of fuel on the highway. Rang for help and my recuer was pulled over fior speeding by the cops Sad
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #12125118th Jan 2007 3:46 pm
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

away wrote:

Might just drop in too! I have an uncle at Briagalon that we will be catching up with and also a cousin at Sale.

More than welcome - we are in Leongatha, on the way to Melbourne from Wilsons Prom. PM me when you get close - we will certainly be able to give you a break from the camper.

Regards,
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #12148119th Jan 2007 1:37 am
away

TDMP wrote:
away wrote:

More than welcome - we are in Leongatha, on the way to Melbourne from Wilsons Prom. PM me when you get close - we will certainly be able to give you a break from the camper.

Regards,

Cheers Tristan.

Post #12162619th Jan 2007 1:12 pm
jonesy63

Home again!

Well, I left Murwillumbah at 7am and made it home at 18:45 - and that included a stop at Grafton for breakfast, Macksville for one hour to see my grandmother, and Taree for lunch.

Averaged 86km/h and 9.1L/100km on return trip - with a huge trailer load and 7 people.

Took it in for a car wash and interior clean - to get rid of the sand. I could have done it myself and done a better job, but didn't have the time today.

Anyhow - still looking new - more than happy about *not* collecting any stone chips!

Next trip - in 4 days time! Going to Melbourne for the long weekend. That means I have to put in a big effort of 3 days at work this week... it will be hard, but I will suffer through it! Laughing

Still no oil used and absolutely tickled pink with the D3.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers,
Rob

PS. Away - if/when you arrive in Sydney - you are welcome to stay here. I am really envious of your trip and want to replicate it!

Post #12235321st Jan 2007 8:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >