Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

MY16 DRL's when towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Washwipe

England 

Russell wrote:
What caravans are they attached to? Just a thought that it may well be a caravan issue perhaps.

Swift like yours Russell, so we'll in tune with the LED Lights and the issues.

Troon wrote:
My 16MY with factory-fit 13-pin also runs the marker lights on our folding camper when connected. This is by design, it seems — the electrics are configured correctly such that the rear fog works on the trailer not the car etc etc.

A 14MY FFRR I tried also did this.

Relax, it's as intended. Even if it would be OK to have the lights off, it's not a problem to have them on is it?

Not a problem? Might be if it is not working as it should, especially involving electrics, nothing better than the smell of melting cables, some do some don't, just looking for the answer.

Post #165869123rd May 2016 6:17 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Ask the dealer about it, get them to check configuration and ask them what the lights should do.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #165881323rd May 2016 9:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

Mines a MY16 with a Bailey and doesnt do this. DRL's stay on at the front OK when 'van connected, but all other lights are off.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #165891524th May 2016 7:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Washwipe

England 

Being checked, obviously not correct as some do some don't.
Fitting instructions say nothing about enabling, recall older models used to show an eye looking at a laptop.

Post #165913224th May 2016 5:34 pm
Jarvis

England 

al cope wrote:
Mines a MY16 with a Bailey and doesnt do this. DRL's stay on at the front OK when 'van connected, but all other lights are off.

Al

Same here, MY16 and Bailey with DRL on but caravan off.

Post #165913824th May 2016 5:44 pm
trevorb1

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Do those with the lights on trailer permanently illuminated have Led trailer lights and a box fitted to fool the car into thinking the trailer actually have standard bulbs.
My outfit 15my Se tech towing Coachman with stardard bulbs on trailer, drl's work same with or without trailer.

Post #165915324th May 2016 6:26 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I went and double checked mine tonight just to be sure. DRLs on, no lights on caravan at all. So just what I thought from last time I looked, how I want it to work and how I suspect it should work.

Post #165918224th May 2016 7:08 pm
wireworld

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

My trailers have standard bulbs and the marker lights are always illuminated. landmark MY 16 factory tow electrics.

Post #165923324th May 2016 8:38 pm
discoteca

The functionality must have changed half way through MY16, all the ones where the van lights are on with the DRLs seem to be Landmarks i.e. later builds than those of us with SE Tech or HSEs

Post #165925924th May 2016 9:45 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

My van has LED's and a box to fool the car fitted in the caravan which was supplied by Sargent. The lights all work as they should eg DRL on car are on but nothing illuminated on caravan, turn side lights on and the van lights come on.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #165926024th May 2016 9:50 pm
Washwipe

England 

Update on this, the Landmark demo has gone, the MY16 HSE is in my possession, connected to the same van with LED lights, everything works as it should, rear sensors disable when electrics connected, with the DRL's on the other lights are all off as they should be.

Is the trailer module coded on this one and wasn't on the Landmark demo, or is it just a Landmark quirk Question

Post #166974419th Jun 2016 1:10 pm
Washwipe

England 

Checked the trailer lights again today with the Landmark, seems to be a Landmark quirk, plug the trailer in, start the engine select Drive, rear lights on the Landmark illuminated and are the rear lights and marker lights on the trailer.

Checked with a spare trailer board, seven pin plug with an adapter to 13 pin, same again, Light Board illuminates as do the tail lights on the Landmark when the DRL's are on.

Checked with the IID Tool, correctly coded for 13 Pin electrics

Post #168160316th Jul 2016 9:49 pm
discoteca

Without any trailer lights connected do the rear lights on your Landmark come on with the front DRLs?

I'm sure I saw a Landmark the other day with front DRLs on, bright LED strips so definitely wasn't the sidelights that were on, as it passed me I noticed that the rear lights were also on.

Maybe this isn't anything to do with towing electrics at all. Maybe the MY16.5 functionality changed so that the rear lights are also on when the DRLs are on regardless of whether a trailer is connected or not?

Post #168160716th Jul 2016 10:14 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

Just checked this afternoon. My Landmark (collected last week) has rear lights on along with DRLs and lights up the tintent lights when connected in DRL mode, even with car lights switched off.

Dex

Post #168161716th Jul 2016 10:38 pm
Washwipe

England 

discoteca wrote:
Without any trailer lights connected do the rear lights on your Landmark come on with the front DRLs?

I'm sure I saw a Landmark the other day with front DRLs on, bright LED strips so definitely wasn't the sidelights that were on, as it passed me I noticed that the rear lights were also on.

Maybe this isn't anything to do with towing electrics at all. Maybe the MY16.5 functionality changed so that the rear lights are also on when the DRLs are on regardless of whether a trailer is connected or not?

No, with no trailer attached DRL's function as they should, fronts only, it's only when plugging the electrics in the rear lights come on along with the trailer lights, connected with engine off, or on, makes no difference.

Also rear parking sensors are still active when trailer plugged in, when in reverse, but can be turned off by pressing the dash button.

Post #168167217th Jul 2016 8:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >