Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

MY16 DRL's when towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Washwipe

England 
MY16 DRL's when towing

I have currently a MY16 Landmark demonstrator on the drive whilst waiting for my own MY16, the dealer has kindly fitted 13 Pin electrics for me, so tested that it is working OK as I also have LED's on the van.

Issue I've found is, the DRL's function normally when not towing, select D and the DRL's come on, front only as they are designed to, so far so good, connect the 13 Pin, all good so far, everything works as it should, except the DRL's, the rear lights on the Disco are also on, as are all the marker lights and tail lights on the van, no matter where you have the light switch, all side lights remain on.
Electrics were OK on the previous MY13, yes I know I didn't have DRL's and it is a different 13 Pin Towing electrics set up, also have the VLMP box fitted on the van to get over the flickering lights.

Only way I've found to stop all the lights being on is to disable the DRL's.

Post #165800022nd May 2016 9:42 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Do you happen to know which electrics they fitted as I need to fit some to a MY16.5 and some tow socket sets are quoted as 2013 onwards. I would have thought there was no difference from 2010 onwards for a D4 or is there a change to the plugs or something.

Post #165800122nd May 2016 9:50 am
Washwipe

England 

Sorry, don't know which ones they fitted but I have every confidence that they have fitted the correct ones, I know that the towing electrics from the MY13 I had were a different part number so I have to get the later ones as the part number changed when DRL's became standard.

Looking through details I've found online also seem to indicate that the later ones do not need any intervention to enable them, Plug and Play.

Post #165800522nd May 2016 10:08 am
wireworld

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I have a factory fitted 13 pin on a landmark and all my trailer marker lights come on all the time. I sort of thought it was just a natural extension of the DRL system

Post #165801822nd May 2016 10:48 am
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Sounds like a logical assumption to me.

Re enabling the towing electrics, are the reverse parking sensors disabled when the 'van is attached? If not then the electrics will need enabling & you may then find that the lights go back to normal? - just a thought but saying it as the dealer I bought my D4 from fitted towing electrics and assured me they were plug and play and that there'd be no issues with the parking sensor... turned out they were not quite right about that Shocked
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #165802322nd May 2016 11:01 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

My MYD4 HSE has 13 pin electrics fitted and I tow a TA Swift, the car lights work with the van on the back exactly the same as when towing solo, reverse sensors also work correctly in that they shut up when the van is on the back unless you push the switch
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #165805322nd May 2016 12:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wireworld

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

My rear sensors don't work with a trailer attached and work fine once the trailer plug is removed

Post #165809322nd May 2016 2:23 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Washwipe wrote:
Sorry, don't know which ones they fitted but I have every confidence that they have fitted the correct ones, I know that the towing electrics from the MY13 I had were a different part number so I have to get the later ones as the part number changed when DRL's became standard.

Looking through details I've found online also seem to indicate that the later ones do not need any intervention to enable them, Plug and Play.

The change in part number was only because the connector mounting bracket changed slightly between pre and post 2014. The wires are identical.

They don't need to be enabled to work, as with pre 2014 D4s, but if not enabled you won't get disabling of the rear parking sensors or the car rear fog lights when connected.

As it happens my 2016 which is enabled (did it myself) does not behave as you describe with regard to the drls. It all works exactly the same whether something is connected or not.

Post #165833222nd May 2016 10:06 pm
CarlW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Hi
I have a MY 16 Landmark which arrived in March with factory fitted towing pack. I've also noticed that whenever a trailer is connected the vehicle rear lights and trailer side lights are on constantly. Everything else is as you would expect, such as rear parking sensors are disabled, info screen asks for confirmation of what type of trailer is connected (this might be part of surround camera option I also have) etc.

Regards
Carl
 Disco 4 Landmark
Mercedes Benz SLK CDi
BMW 335D Touring
Defender XS SW 2010 - gone
TDV8 2008 RRS - gone
Disco 3 HSE 2005 - gone
BMW R1150GS 

Post #165840223rd May 2016 3:58 am
Washwipe

England 

Mmmm, checking of the enablement is the route to go down me thinks Question

Post #165840623rd May 2016 5:48 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

CarlW wrote:
Hi
I have a MY 16 Landmark which arrived in March with factory fitted towing pack. I've also noticed that whenever a trailer is connected the vehicle rear lights and trailer side lights are on constantly. Everything else is as you would expect, such as rear parking sensors are disabled, info screen asks for confirmation of what type of trailer is connected (this might be part of surround camera option I also have) etc.

Regards
Carl

Yes ity is part of the surround camera and trailer stability system
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #165842223rd May 2016 7:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoteca

So Russell's and mine don't light the van lights when connected, Washwipe and CarlW's do. All MY 2016 and all enabled so it would seem. Odd. The two that do light the van lights are Landmarks so presumably a much later build (mine is July 15 build)?

Out of curiosity, on those two, if the light switch is in the off position and the van is connected and its front marker lights and rear lights come on, what do the led lights at the front of the car do; are they lit brightly (drl mode) or dimly (sidelight/indicators on mode)?

Post #165848423rd May 2016 10:29 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

What caravans are they attached to? Just a thought that it may well be a caravan issue perhaps.
D4 camera club 

Post #165849923rd May 2016 11:20 am
wireworld

discoteca wrote:
So Russell's and mine don't light the van lights when connected, Washwipe and CarlW's do. All MY 2016 and all enabled so it would seem. Odd. The two that do light the van lights are Landmarks so presumably a much later build (mine is July 15 build)?

Out of curiosity, on those two, if the light switch is in the off position and the van is connected and its front marker lights and rear lights come on, what do the led lights at the front of the car do; are they lit brightly (drl mode) or dimly (sidelight/indicators on mode)?

Mine is a Landmark as well! Built Feb 16

Post #165851323rd May 2016 11:45 am
discoteca

I realise that it may be intended, the curiosity is why some do and some don't!

Post #165856623rd May 2016 1:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >