Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Mysterious clunking sound...help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
StuartR

Iceland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Mysterious clunking sound...help!

Hello everyone. I have a quite new D4, one of the last produced. It only has about 40,000 km on it now, but in the past six months or year, there has been a sporadic clunking sound coming mostly right under my feet or a little in front of them in the engine bay. Sometimes I can actually feel the vibration from the clunk when it happens. It seems to come mostly when the car is first turned on, and at low speeds. It has also happened when stationary. The driving seems to be fine, and I cannot really make it happen, at least I have not figured it out yet. The car has been in twice to an independent LR trained shop and twice to the main dealer, and they cannot find the issue. I am cynically thinking they are waiting until the car is out of warranty to find it. Any ideas on what this might be? They checked the suspension a few times and said it was fine.

I live in Iceland, so I thought perhaps it could be from the Fuel burning heater causing the car to heat up and then some pipe could be warping with the heat. Or more ominously, perhaps it is something in the transmission or engine? As I said, it does not seem to affect the driving at all, and it does not seem to happen when the car is driving at a normal pace, even for long periods. But shortly after setting off, it often happens. The sound is under my feet, driver's side, which is on the left in Iceland. Or perhaps it could be something in the differentials? I have a rear locking diff too. The weird part, as I said, is that while it usually happens shortly after turning the car on and setting off around 2nd or 3rd gear, it has also happened while the car is in P and idling. I also heard it today when I turned off the car, and it made the sound as the engine cut off.

Any thoughts? It is driving me crazy, especially since this was a very expensive, very new car. I am worried that it will be a big repair if out of warranty whenever it decides to break. It does seem to be getting worse as time goes on.

Post #193587012th Apr 2018 6:31 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

WELL...............how great to have a D4 in Iceland
Think you need to keep great pressure on dealer and confirm everything in writing so you can refer later on if needed....
No idea what fault is sorry..let us know how you get on...you could try an e mail to the land rover customer service contact on this site....someone will hopefully post a link for your help....good luck

Post #193594412th Apr 2018 9:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StuartR

Yes, it is great to have a D4 in Iceland, but it does give you a bit of pause to drive on a mountain road if you have clunking noises coming from the car!

Thanks for the help. I have been able to narrow down the behaviour that causes the problem a little bit more. I have noticed that if the vehicle is in off road height and I lower the vehicle, more or less as soon as I push the lower button, it makes the clunking sound. It is not always as loud as it is after the first time it happens, but it seems to be there. Are there any valves or parts in that part of the air suspension that might cause that kind of noise and vibration (meaning you can feel the vibration under your feet when the sound occurs, like tension is being released etc)?

Post #193608313th Apr 2018 11:54 am
IndusD4

Australia 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I've had an intermittent issue with the volume buttons on the steering wheel and the dealers couldn't find it. With a phone these days it is easy to record so did that. Next time back at the dealers they couldn't deny there was an issue and it was fixed.

As for your issue, a dash cam can also record sound, fit one of these then when it happens download the files, submit this with your written complaint. From a warranty point of view I thought that as long as the issue was reported inside the warranty period then it should be fixed. Doesn't matter if the vehicle is actually outside the warranty period at the time it is being fixed. My compressor was replaced, issue reported inside the warranty period but fixed outside. Same with my daughter's Suzuki that has a squeaky wheel. It's over a year out of warranty but they still replaced parts a month ago.

Ron

Post #193625213th Apr 2018 7:15 pm
Barry C-All

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Suggestion, rear lower wishbone bush, front suspension. I believe it is a fluid filled bush, which when fails allows the bottom wishbone to contact its mounting on the chassis. Test by driving slowly and dabbing the footbrake on and off sharply to hear knocking sound as wishbone moves rearwards.Very Happy

Post #193647714th Apr 2018 5:18 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Nice bright torch and look at all the upper and lower arm mounting bolts for signs of fresh rust, fresh rust = movement.
The fact it happens as you go from off road height says to me something is moving as the bushes twist in the arms.

Post #193649714th Apr 2018 7:17 pm
StuartR

This is still an issue for me. It went to the dealer for its regular service and came back still clunking. They found several issues and did a warranty repair because several internal components were leaking (I did not see evidence of it, however...they said it was just a small amount). They said one pipe under the chassis looked like it had been rubbing another, so they shifted it out of the way and tied it down. I was pretty sure the problem was still there. Sure enough, I did not even move the car and I could reproduce the sound upon changing vehicle heights. It makes the noise when the height is lowered, and when the car is turned off. There is a kind of clunk or click. It sounds quite internal...somewhere between the front and back wheels. The guy who heard it is not the actual mechanic, but the guy who handles the customers. They have had it for the last week or so, and will have a look again on Monday. The guy who heard it suggested it might be something with the valves that control air flow in the suspension....any thoughts on that?

The good news now is that at least it seems reproducible....still, for a car with only 40,000km, the last of its kind, I would have hoped that they would have sorted it a bit better. They have given me a Discovery 5 to drive around in while it is being fixed, and while that is very kind of them, I am happier than ever that I chose to get the Discovery 4, even with all the issues!

Post #194818425th May 2018 7:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >