Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Any nearer getting a manual "Extended" mod?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Any nearer getting a manual "Extended" mod?

It occurred to me at the weekend that another time the extended mode (and extended+) would be useful is when wading. I'm puzzled why LR would provide a system that gets you off a rock but leaves to you sink if the water is too deep Confused

So apart from carrying a block of wood in the boot and fooling the car into extended mode with the "access height" trick, has anyone yet come up with a better way of getting the car into extended mode? Is there any way we can petition LR to provide this functionality on a future software patch? If it had a low speed limit attached, higher than the 3kmh of extended+ but well under road speeds, I can't see LR having issues with liability for accidents on road if this mod were used inappropriately.

It would look 8) too......
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1279206th Feb 2007 12:33 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Surely if the water is too deep you shouldn't be going there in the first place? Confused I also know that you'd set TR for whatever the ground circumstances dictate, i.e. if it's rock, then select rock crawl etc.

I'd also be wary if the centre of gravity is too high in water, however i haven't had this kind of experience, some of the others may well have other opinions Very Happy

I also think LR would have an issue, as the blame culture in society will ultimately get round to the manufacturers.

Just my two'penneth Thumbs Up

Post #1279306th Feb 2007 1:02 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Please fill me in on this block trick Razz What do you strap it to?
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #1279326th Feb 2007 1:10 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

That kind of makes my point. I wouldn't go through something if the water was too deep for the current setup, but if I had the option of an extra few inches of lift the definition of too deep would be different. Stability shouldn't be an issue as the amount of car still in the water and subject to flotation/flow would be the same or less with extra suspension height, and so would improve stability? The immersion of the body would still be restricted by the physical location of the intake.

I note the handbook suggests you talk to your dealer if you intend deep-fording on a regular basis. I think I'll do this and see what they have to say as the implication is that there are things they can do.

::shrugs::
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1279346th Feb 2007 1:15 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Oh dear, Sideview is asking about strap-ons Shocked

You can fool the car into extended mode by placing an obstacle (a handily large piece of wood) under the car and dropping it into access mode. Try not to place this under the compressor, fuel tank or anything else that looks important. Your jacking point would probably be a good starting point? (Did I really just say "jacking" like that..... of dear)

When the car hits the wood it thinks it has grounded out and will go into extended mode to get over the "obstacle". You grab the piece of wood, throw it back in the car (remembering your car is higher now so don't go slinging it at where the door used to be or you'll dent something), climb the rope ladder to get back into the driver's seat and marvel at the message on your dash telling you that you are now in extended mode. Once you get used to the height you can press and hold the brake pedal while pushing the height switch forward, keeping them there for 5 seconds or more, and you will find yourself in extended+

You can now drive in this and it will stay there until you exceed 2mph for 45 seconds, so don't do it if you think the crossing /obstacle course will take 50 seconds!!!
Post #1279376th Feb 2007 1:23 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I love motor talk - it sounds so dirty Rolling with laughter

Thank you for the info NoDo$h, very useful to know! I think I'll try it out today. Thumbs Up
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #1279496th Feb 2007 1:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >