Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Need guidance for mod list
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
phurley

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Need guidance for mod list

I just recently purchased a new, 06MY LR3 HSE. It is my first Land Rover, and I am totally in love with this auto (my wife isn't worried though - she says 'The new wife has nearly 7000 lbs. on me'). This website is awesome too! LR should be sponsoring this website as the 'Owners Information' site. Thanks for the work and contribution for new owners like myself. Thumbs Up

Of course, as with all things that one loves, one wants to change! Smile

Toward that, I have compiled my mod list.
1) Hidden winch ala wiggs or christyler. I do have some questions about these. Should I query here or via pm?
2) 2nd battery system. Straightforward with the excellent advice here, just hard to source since I'm a US owner.
3) Roof rack lights. I have the expo rack and I plan on mounting lights like the G4 but I plan on wiring them by coming through the roof Shocked where the front rack support bolt is. That way I could also keep the HID ballasts in the cabin if I decide on the LF 140 HIDs instead (HID leads are about 3' long). Does the OEM aux light switch near the instrument cluster operate these on the special vehicles or is there another switch?
4) iPod/ACM kit. Only I want to have the iPod either in the center armrest area or in the center cubby. (Especially since the ACM mount goes where I want to put the rack light switch!) Does the kit iPod cable reach that far or does anyone know of an extension?
5) RCA plugs mounted next to aux input (back of armrest console) wired to overhead OEM DVD player. I've seen this on a LR vehicle somewhere and now can't remember where. It looked OEM, in that blank plate next to the aux input. Maybe on the 08s? Maybe on a RRS? I want to put a PS2 slimline (for the 2 footers) but I don't want cords hanging all over either.
6) Ladder and flooring for the roof rack. I figured I'd just get a couple of panels of expanded metal for the roof. I thought the diamond plate looked great but I also like the alpine roof windows.

Have I missed anything? Smile I know, pretty ambitious but I think doable. Any and all help and advice is much appreciated,

Peter

Post #19382223rd Aug 2007 9:15 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Sump shield??

Post #19382923rd Aug 2007 9:18 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Raised Air Intake

Post #19384023rd Aug 2007 9:24 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

at least one day's proper offroad training to see what the vehicle does and how?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #19384723rd Aug 2007 9:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoStu

England 

Welcome Peter Thumbs Up

Can't help with all your questions, but;

1. Hidden winch - ask away here. Unless it's prices etc, which might be better pm'd. Knowing Ray though, there'll be no problem either way.

3. I wouldn't go through the roof. If you need ballasts they'd be fine water-proofed and tucked away in behind the expedition rack fairing. Not sure about the switch in G4 vehicles, but the AUX OEM switch does my roof lights. Others have an extra switch up in the roof panel (by the phone mic).
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #19387623rd Aug 2007 9:54 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Stu,
bit of a trip to visit Uncle Ray.... http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/atlas.php?mode=distance&u=2973 Wink
If it helps, I can provide a wiring loom & instructions for an aux. battery installation, I'd suggest mounting the ballasts in an IP rated enclosure and running the supply cables from the tailgate to the rear of the rack and onto the ballasts. not sure of lighting requirements in US but in UK any 'auxilary driving lights' need to be switched seperately. I'd suggest taking a side light feed to a switch with the output triggering a relay to provide power to the rooflights

Post #19388423rd Aug 2007 10:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoStu

England 

I know where he is - thought the hidden mount wasn't available elsewhere though. And it's quite a good exchange rate at the moment. Oh, it's not that good from there side, is it? Rolling Eyes
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #19388523rd Aug 2007 10:08 pm
phurley

Thanks for all the feedback already.

DSL - Does sump shield imply a full skid plate set - front, gearbox & transfer?
bluemeanie - I've already been rockcrawling up our granite ledge in our backyard although my wife wasn't too keen on seeing the car on the back patio! Mr. Green I definitely plan to do a training day or two especially for figuring the bow wave speed in deep water. I plan to do that with someone else's vehicle! Plus, winching might be helpful although I'm a climber so anchors & rigging systems are easy for me.
simon - I've heard mixed things about the snorkel. Have you driven it in windshield-level (windscreen, sorry) water without trouble?

TFC - Thanks for the offer of a loom for 2nd battery. I'll be in touch if I can't get one from Australia.

Roof rack lights
Stu - The aux switch you mention mounted near the phone mic - is it OEM?
Stu & TFC - I saw the pictures of the water-resistant 4-way connectors on the back hatch. That looked great. What connector parts are those so I can dig around for a supplier here? Also, the picture I saw didn't show the upper connector and wiring from there to the rack. Do you have one you could point me to?

Also, doesn't the front rack support bolt go through the roof anyway? I didn't install it so I didn't see.

Hidden winch mount
An overseas company is offering a hidden winch mount through a supplier - British Pacific - here in the States. My current plan is to put a Warn M12000 (they claim it fits if the solenoid box is relocated - which I would do anyway - wiggs waterproof box was really great) into this winch mount. However, there's several questions that seem to arise.
A) How much clearance on other hidden mounts is there between the intercooler and tray?
B) Has anyway tried to integrate the crash bumper with the tray? Corollary: Does the tray interfere with airbag deployment?
C) On one of wiggs photos the fairlead seems to be mounted a good distance from the tray on two threaded studs or bolts (1/2"?). It seems that if the cable were pulling at a steep angle against the fairlead that it might bend in that direction. Has anyone with this setup had that happen? Does that seem likely? 7000 lbs is alot of force especially through a deflection angle... It's one thing to replace a fairlead and completely another to replace a wraparound bumper. Very Happy
D) If I use a Optima yellow-top (750 CCA) as a second battery, shouldn't I connect the winch to the second battery instead of the starter? Optima advises using the yellow top for electric winching applications.

Thanks again guys,
Peter

Post #19393723rd Aug 2007 11:15 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Roof light loom is dependent upon rack & requirements, of the six or so I've fitted, each one is different dependent upon the clients requirements. The connectors are generic waterproof auto type stuff.... in UK they are available from RS components, Farnell's etc. there should be a US equivalent
The rack is fixed to the M6 points built in to the roof to body side seam - no intrusion into panels is required
if you have a winch connected to the aux. battery, be careful that the split-charge unit can handle the high current - yes, you're right, connect to the second battery... although you'll drar current from both batteries, due to volt drop and cable resistance, the aux battery will be depleted by a larger amount than the primary battery

Post #19394023rd Aug 2007 11:29 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

phuley this pic shows how far the non winch Mantec plate goes back. It ends at the black shielding that is part of the LR3 original spec:

There is a good vid clip of Andrews with water over the bonnet, trying to find it.

PS found the clip c/o AndrewS:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ossing.wmv

Much more at http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=868

Post #19402124th Aug 2007 9:00 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Peter, what do you intend to do with your LR3 and how often do you plan on doing it? When you do it, is it alone, or with a group?

First thing to seriously look at is getting decent tires. I have a list of options on my website here:
http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=20 (scroll down a bit)

I'm not really sure additional lights are of tremendous benefit. If you have the bi-Xeons already, they are spectacularly bright as it is. I'd add them later on after you've wheeled it a bit.

Depending on your intended use, I consider underbody protection as essential. British Pacific (in California) sells the RASTA three component skid underbody plates. They work really well, and cover more area than the Mantec plate posted above. Here in the States, I'm not even sure where to get the Mantec plate.

I found having an on board air compressor or Power Tank to be very valuable.

You might also consider some rock sliders, steel front and rear bumpers.

Post #19530426th Aug 2007 11:39 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

phurley wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback already.

Hidden winch mount

A) How much clearance on other hidden mounts is there between the intercooler and tray?
B) Has anyway tried to integrate the crash bumper with the tray? Corollary: Does the tray interfere with airbag deployment?
C) On one of wiggs photos the fairlead seems to be mounted a good distance from the tray on two threaded studs or bolts (1/2"?). It seems that if the cable were pulling at a steep angle against the fairlead that it might bend in that direction. Has anyone with this setup had that happen? Does that seem likely? 7000 lbs is alot of force especially through a deflection angle... It's one thing to replace a fairlead and completely another to replace a wraparound bumper. Very Happy
D) If I use a Optima yellow-top (750 CCA) as a second battery, shouldn't I connect the winch to the second battery instead of the starter? Optima advises using the yellow top for electric winching applications.

Thanks again guys,
Peter

A..About 20mm on mine.
B..No , not tryed to intergrate the crash bumper..i would suspect the hidden mount is stronger than the original bumper..although not as long.Crash sensors are mounted much higher than the bumper , there under the headlights on the front ..i have pictures if it helps.
C..Mine are two threaded M10 bar , about 90mm from the mount.I can stand on the hawse fairlead (without the bumper cover in place ) with no problem.
I have not used mine in anger yet so time will tell.Chris Tylers is the same ( i think) and i have seen his being used a few times with no problem.
Also would it be advisable to use any winch with such a deflection angle ?
D...don't know ..mine is connected direct to the battery.

Hope this helps
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #19607228th Aug 2007 7:31 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Don't forget the disco3.co.uk sticker, it gives you super powers Wink

Welcome & congrats Peter!
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #19627229th Aug 2007 12:05 am
phurley

nwoods, Thanks for the suggestion about Rasta's 3 piece skid plates. I'm definitely going with that (esp. since they're the ones selling the hidden winch mount too!). Did you finally do something with the exhaust from the mid-box back? I don't think re-routing over the rear axle would work on my D3 since the air lifts take up a lot of space... Also, I saw the rock sliders. Those look mandatory and expensive. I'm considering getting the sliders without the side bar, although is the finish really glossy?

wiggs, Thanks for the info. I've been holding off on ordering 'til I had some good intel on the hidden winch mount. Now I'm set for that.

sideview, just the ticket - super powers! Thumbs Up

I'll post some pics once I get started on some of these projects!

Thanks everyone!

Post #19631529th Aug 2007 1:38 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Hmmm...the finished is powedered coated. It's not a matte black, but it's not polished either. It's not unlike the finish (in sheen) of your external side mirrors (yes, even though they are plastic).

The sliders without the stand off bars are almost invisible (until you open the doors and sill the extensions protecting the sills). They are a good option if you don't have anyone short in your family to accomodate (as side steps) or don't have many rocks to lean your truck up against. In my area, I have a lot of rocks, and those stand off's have been quite handy.

Post #19631829th Aug 2007 2:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >