Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Need help from experienced tintenters to a newbie....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

highbayrack wrote:
If anything, I can't help but feel this price seems either too cheap for what your getting included, or your getting a real bargain. I'd be definitely wanting to go and see it before I bid on it. Thumbs Up

Its still got 6 days to run...
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #114425915th Aug 2013 2:59 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

somersetjem - the layout you showed is that common across all makes? I've seen some that look like what you have there and would I be right in saying the front is lounge and makes up to double by lowering table and the rear is two fixed beds with a cabinet in middle?

If so how do they become a double?

Post #114426015th Aug 2013 3:03 pm
dubbs

He has already been offered £7000 on collection - didn't need to tell me that as I could just let the auction go - not even told him I'm interested just asked a couple of questions.

Seems a pleasant chap (buyer beware and all that)

Post #114426215th Aug 2013 3:05 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

first impressions are nice van with a lot of kit for the money , but as others have said there will be a lot for sale in september.

i was always put off Hobby by the traveler image but got to say build quality is superb on them and i will consider one when i next change Thumbs Up

re the layout ,you will prefer the piece and quiet of putting the kids in the awning ,ive got a big twin axle but always throw the kids out in the awning and it wont be long before it is uncool to go in the caravan and so i say pick the layout for you and the missus Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #114429215th Aug 2013 4:49 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I would go for a caravan you can live "inside" comfortably. you wont always put the awning up. its a lot of work for just a weekend - especially if you arrive in the evening, in the dark and when is peeing down with rain.

if you are only ever going to use the caravan for 1-2 week break for example then fine, but I bet you will use it more often and its good for a weekend break.

we leave ours full of food and spare cloths - if we suddenly decide to go away, we can be off the drive in 15 mins. that makes getting away for a weekend easy Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #114429915th Aug 2013 5:01 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This is advertised as a lightweight Hobby.
The lightweight or 'easy' models are 150 kg lighter that other models. This is achieved by making everything thinner and of lesser spec materials. The reason for this weight reduction is to be able to tow it with something a bit lighter than a D3.

I have a 560 model Hobby and it has a fixed bed in the front, 3 stacked beds in the back and a u-shaped seating where we can eat with 5 people if necessary, albeit with three kids aged 8-6-4. The seating can be formed into a bed so 7 people can sleep. We chose this layout because we do not want to have to convert the bed to seats when we want to sit, and the seats to bed once someone wants to sleep. You say your youngest offspring is 6 months... I'm just assuming that you will not be able to watch any TV.

If you are looking at travelling a lot and don't want to put up an awning, you won't want to put up tents for the kids either and this layout is unsuitable. If you go somewhere and put everything up to stay for a few weeks, you can put up tents. You will have to ask yourself whether you want the kids in their own tent then... the youngest certainly not for the coming 5+ years I assume... which will then again make you convert the bed to seats to a bed to seats every day.

Given your family situation, I would *not* go for this layout.

Regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #114435215th Aug 2013 8:01 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Grunders wrote:
highbayrack wrote:
If anything, I can't help but feel this price seems either too cheap for what your getting included, or your getting a real bargain. I'd be definitely wanting to go and see it before I bid on it. Thumbs Up

Yes, but the seller says in questions section that they have a "buy it now price" of £7,450.00 or £7k for cash in hand, so I can't see anyone bidding higher than that as surely the seller would close the listing early if someone offered £7,450.00 I assume, unless I've read it wrong.
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #114436515th Aug 2013 8:37 pm
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

highbayrack wrote:
Grunders wrote:
highbayrack wrote:

Yes, but the seller says in questions section that they have a "buy it now price" of £7,450.00 or £7k for cash in hand, so I can't see anyone bidding higher than that as surely the seller would close the listing early if someone offered £7,450.00 I assume, unless I've read it wrong.

If i was selling and it went over what i expect i wouldnt close the listing.. Whistle
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #114437815th Aug 2013 9:30 pm
JonnyL

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Hi dubs,

Ive had 2 Hobbys and they are great vans.

The width is not an issue as law changed but need to be careful on bigger ones(720 Size) like mine as they are too long.

£7k seems fare to me, don't worry about depreciation as I actually made a profit on my first one through a British contact in Germany who exports them back to Germany.

Check for dampness under front window and to underside at rear and check the water heater works and is not cracked due to frost.

Don't worry about insurance as caravan club covered my 540 and then went to coop(expensive but limited security needed) and then went to towergate for about £300 a year.

They're great vans and don't listen to all the anti hobby crap you hear.

Cheers

JonnyL

Post #114448616th Aug 2013 9:20 am
dubbs

Thanks Jonny, He has a couple that will pick up on Saturday and as we've been conversing well (and I've asked a lot of questions) he has offered it to me if I'm quick for£7200 - not a special deal from him by any means.

The fact it looks in such good condition, has full caravan store and full awning (with sides and front) pretty much unused and a remote control mover, wireless reversing cam etc., makes me feel like it's a really good deal and not to be missed.

however I'm also concerned about both the "fools rush in" and the layout issues that others have suggested - I feel it'd work for us but then there's those on here with much more experience and I'm keen to learn from their mistakes Smile

Post #114453016th Aug 2013 11:10 am
dubbs

I'm also concerned about the "lightweight" comments and the fact these Hobbys aren't as well built/solid as the non-lightweight models.

Towing wise I'm not really phased as I'd be taking my time and it'd be sited for most of year rather than me using it for major touring. I'd just move it 2-3 times a year to the next place we want to explore.

e.g, 3-4 weeks of cornwall, 2 weeks St.Ives end, 2 weeks North cornwall, rest of year sited somewhere within reach for weekends that sort of thing.

Post #114453316th Aug 2013 11:12 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

dubbs wrote:
Towing wise I'm not really phased

you shouldn't be. I assume this van would be around 1400-1600 kg fully laden, your D3 will tow two of them at a time and you won't notice.

Re the lightweight: go and have a look, open doors and stuff, have a 'feel' around in LW and non LW models. You'll notice.

The layout dilemma remains but when you're going to have a look you can see this too. Don't be tempted by how it looks but imagine yourself using it on an every day basis for a couple of weeks. Then decide.

Regards

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #114454816th Aug 2013 11:51 am
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi, 2p worth regarding layout,

we had same layout as S.J. has shown with a pageant Auvergne it was a 5 berth, front makes up to a double or 2 singles, rear makes up to a double and has a bunk above along back window.
We used it as a 2 berth Smile once we set the rear bed up as a double used it like a fixed bed and closed the area off during the daytime.

Friend had same layout in an Avondale I think Question they have 2 daughters and used as two doubles (however got short straw had the narrower rear double)

Although both caravans same layout, the bailey pageant was a tad longer van and this was clear when you made the rear double up, we had what seemed a much wider bed

So as some have said above, sometimes living with a layout means you think about other options and try to see how you will use the space, try setting all the beds up while you are all inside........ you will all end up holding a cushion or two until the beds are made Laughing

We are off we our Tintent tomorrow morning hopefully will fit in a few green lanes in North Yorkshire

No doubt many an evening will be spent in an awning till the early hours as well Whistle
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #114466116th Aug 2013 7:06 pm
Washwipe

England 

Put the details in to the Caravan Club website for an insurance quote, the Hobby's are very desirable by some, one went missing a couple of years ago round Esher way, two days old, it went before the owner had fitted a tracker for his insurance requirement.

As for towing they cant be very as I followed one up the M6 this week, he felt it was narrow enough behind his D3 that he didn't need mirrors Censored

Post #114469716th Aug 2013 8:37 pm
dubbs

Went to look at tintents at Michael Jordan caravans... Well, definitely an eye opener.

So in terms of what we like but can't afford we saw two.

a Swift Challenger Sport twin axle at 16995 from 19720 which had two bunk a dinette that converted to bunk then either two singles or a double at the front. Realy nice.

A Bailey Pegasus GT85 with fixed double but a dinette that converts to bunk beds and a double
/twin at the front.

Nice setups, the salesman wandered off the second we mentioned 7-8k and pointed us in a different direction and left us to get on with it.

How do you guys justify the costs? I guess just ensuring every holiday is in the tintent and it offsets against renting properties.... We love the two large ones we saw, need to see how long they have been made with those features...

Post #114485417th Aug 2013 3:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >