Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Need some info from owners of roof tents and awing.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
access

Malta 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 4
Need some info from owners of roof tents and awing.

We are a family of 4 and I am looking to buy a roof top tent and awning. At the moment I have an old Air Camping roof tent that I both second hand from a friend.
Weight is the main issue so we cannot go for family tents. I was thinking of a 140 cm touring tent so that the kids can sleep up in the tent and me and wife sleep downstairs. Since I never saw one of these tents can someone please tell me if they come with ground sheet and is it possible to put a mattress for two persons? Is it possible to post some photos of the inside.
As for the Awnings I was looking at the Eezi Awns Bat (12kg) or Foxwing(?kg). Can anyone post there experience with these 2, which is best?
Thanks for all your time and help. Bow down Bow down

Post #93599828th May 2012 11:48 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Fox wing are the best but i also have the other one to as for the tent you could get a 1.6 i have one and we have had 3 adults in it and at another time 2 adults and 2 kids
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #93600328th May 2012 11:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
access

RLD wrote:
Fox wing are the best but i also have the other one to as for the tent you could get a 1.6 i have one and we have had 3 adults in it and at another time 2 adults and 2 kids

Thanks for the info RLD... Thumbs Up Bow down

My i ask you how did you manege to sleep 2 adults and 2 kids in a 1.6?? Whistle

The fox wing you have to put the guy lines, right?

Post #93600928th May 2012 12:13 pm
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I don't know if you can get side panels for a awning there, I have duel
awnings like this, Howling moon x 2.5 meter.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

More pics in my gallery
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #93603928th May 2012 1:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Declared interest, we sell foxwings.

The Foxwing retails in the UK for £580, provides 10m2 of awning cover and weighs 18kg. Yes you do have to pole/guy it out. Job takes a few minutes. Oztents can be joined onto the Foxwing as well. We have had the Foxwing deployed in 55mph wind which lasted all weekend at Manby with no problems. OK we did borrow an extra body to put it away.

The Eezi Awn Bat 270 retails in the UK for £804 and weighs 12 kg. I am assuming that the 270 refers to 270cm which is the long edge of the fabric and would be same measurement as the Foxwing. Has 3 optional legs which you peg the base down in incremental weather.

A big difference in weight and price.

Brendan

Post #93606328th May 2012 2:26 pm
access

[quote="Discoeast"]I don't know if you can get side panels for a awning there, I have duel
awnings like this, Howling moon x 2.5 meter.

That is a great setup you have there...thanks for the idea. Is there also ground sheet attachment?

Post #93606928th May 2012 2:35 pm
access

leeds wrote:
Declared interest, we sell foxwings.

The Foxwing retails in the UK for £580, provides 10m2 of awning cover and weighs 18kg. Yes you do have to pole/guy it out. Job takes a few minutes. Oztents can be joined onto the Foxwing as well. We have had the Foxwing deployed in 55mph wind which lasted all weekend at Manby with no problems. OK we did borrow an extra body to put it away.

The Eezi Awn Bat 270 retails in the UK for £804 and weighs 12 kg. I am assuming that the 270 refers to 270cm which is the long edge of the fabric and would be same measurement as the Foxwing. Has 3 optional legs which you peg the base down in incremental weather.

A big difference in weight and price.

Brendan

Thanks for the info Brendan. Weight is a big issue for me. Trying to keep to LR specs of 75 kg.

Post #93607128th May 2012 2:39 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It is surprising what you can do in a 1.6 roof tent Fox wing been up in the Western Highland this last week Friday Saturday extremely windy but fox wing just fine as long as its pegged down ok
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #93609528th May 2012 3:45 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I do not know the LR spec for roof loading on D4s. On Defenders it used to be 75 kg Europe and 150 kg ROW and is I believe now 150 kg on Pumas worldwide.

You will struggle to get a folding roof tent, awning, rack/roof bars etc within 75 kg.

I could not readily find Eezi Awn roof tent weights but would image they are similar to Autohome folding roof tents which are 55-65kg. That is for basic roof tent then the weight of any annexe etc.

If weight is a priority use roof bars rather then a roof rack. A 3 roof bar system will weigh probably less then 10kg whereas a roofrack could easily be 30 kg+ Also could be several hundred £ less

A roof tent + 3 bars + awning could easily be 90-100kg which exceeds your 75 kg limit.

To keep within 75kg or less that is just a roof tent plus 2 or 3 roofbars and nothing else.

Brendan

Post #93610628th May 2012 4:25 pm
access

You have a point there Brendan, 75 kg is a bit low. Just saw LR photos of D4 heading to China and they had 4 X 20 liter jerry cans, spare wheel and roof rack. I think in total it come 150Kg. Thumbs Up

Post #93611028th May 2012 4:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >