DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Need your most wise and sincere input
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
vasssilis

Greece 
Need your most wise and sincere input

Hello to all Land Rover owners.
I live in Athens and I am considering to go for a Disco 4 MY2012 to be used as an executive taxi!
You might consider this a rather weird idea...well, I believe with this type of car I would be able to offer you (when you will travel to Greece for Holidays or Business) the best service, an elevated limo for the town and an easy going SUV for trips around archeological sights and virgin natural landscapes.

Thus, I would be gratefull if you could post the 3-5 most important reasons for either 'go' or 'not go' for disco4.
Obviously reliability issues are of my top concerns considering the use of the car, but to be honest I don't have a clear picture about the situation for contemporary models. I am sure that your are easilly guess what would be the alternative to Disco.

So please, express yourself.

Thnak you in advance for helping on that.

Vassilis,

Athens

Post #8689839th Dec 2011 6:01 pm
Niall

I'll offer my opinion to start, sure you'll soon get others!

For:

1 - Premium brand
2 - Looks good
3 - Will be a smooth ride on bumpy roads and will go anywhere.

Against:

1 - Running cost
2 - Reliability
3 - Initial purchase cost

To qualify that though, reliability won't be a problem with a warranty (as long as you don't have a breakdown with customers!) and I'm sure similar alternatives are of similar initial cost.

Good luck! Thumbs Up

Post #8690039th Dec 2011 6:59 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Rolling Eyes How many D4 MY2012's have broken down so far then ?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8690069th Dec 2011 7:06 pm
Niall

Clearly not a lot, but based on previous Land Rovers it's always worth raising the issue!

I'll happily stand corrected, but Land Rovers are prone to niggly faults... I'll go back to the D3 threads now! Laughing

Post #8690189th Dec 2011 7:44 pm
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Good luck with your venture.

However, I don't think the D4 is an Exec taxi / limo experience. It's a great drive in the front. But not nearly so good in the back seats.

3 seats across and everso slightly cramped legroom. Yes, it is still very nice but not luxury class. For real class it needs to be the FFRR to compete and surpass the rear seat comfort of Mercs etc or BMWs. Saddens me to say but I'd rather sit in the back of an X5 (though not on rough roads). But I'd take the D4 as a driver every day and twice on Sundays.

Post #8690719th Dec 2011 11:15 pm
vasssilis

Greece 

Unnecessary quote removed

Well, it is true that the legroom at the back seats is limited plus the design to have three distinct seats of equal width makes them of limited comfort alll of them. It is a pitty that the middle seat does not provide when folded an appropriate arm rest and finally it should be available, at least for the two outer seats, the backrests to recline, that would give it some serious extra comfort.

On the other hand it provides the best room when it comes to be used as a 7 seater and its ride comfort is benchmark as already mentioned.

I have test driven also the X5 and the Land cruiser (as 7 seaters alternatives). Best room for passengers at the back seats is at the toyota.

PS what is the FFRR stand for?

Post #8690809th Dec 2011 11:44 pm
A1GSS

England 

FFRR = Full Fat Range Rover (i.e. the "proper" one, not the Sport = Semi Skimmed)

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #8690849th Dec 2011 11:52 pm
vasssilis

Greece 

antoniasdad wrote:
FFRR = Full Fat Range Rover (i.e. the "proper" one, not the Sport = Semi Skimmed)

Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #8690869th Dec 2011 11:55 pm
A1GSS

England 

Thumbs Up

I love the Discovery, I think it's an astonishing car. Whether it's tight for you I dunno, but it's hard to imagine it as a BAD choice.

Why not lease one for a few months and see whether it works for you?
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #8690889th Dec 2011 11:58 pm
vasssilis

Greece 

Leasing only for a few months is not possible here in Greece and would cost too much such a trial.
Does anyone have first hand experience for a straight comparison with a Land cruiser (small or big one) for the purposes I am interested in? That would be very helpful.

Post #86949911th Dec 2011 11:43 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I get driven to the airport in FFRR or Volvo XC90 2 - 3 time a week. I also spend a lot of time in the back of an X5 going to the rugby.

Personally i Think the the FFRR beats them all hands down but interestingly the chauffeur company we use is looking at the D4 HSE. I would be very happy to be ferried around in a D4 HSE.

The question I would ask is, is this the right time to start up a limo business in Greece?

Post #86950611th Dec 2011 11:54 am
highlandcow

A couple of months ago I saw a chauffeur-driven D4 in Gleneagles Hotel livery waiting at Edinburgh airport.

Gleneagles Hotel is a fairly expensive establishment and it was a bit disappointing to see that the D4 was an XS.

Post #86954411th Dec 2011 2:50 pm
vasssilis

Greece 

Thank you very much for keeping contribute to this topic.

Regarding the business timing question.
The point is that until the time we are talking it is not possible to start a private taxi company in Greece, either you have the yellow cabs or the real limo servises. The sector is 'closed' and regulated by state. Within the next days it is expected new legislation to pass that regulates openly this market so it will accessible to everyone to start either a yellow cab company or a private taxi one. So the issue is raised as it becomes a possibility.

Whether it is the right time or not considering the prevailing economic situation my thoughts in a few lines are the following.
Regarding the business case, I foresee a mix of upper-class tourists and local/visiting executives of 70-30 for this market sector. Further I consider tourists market as more robust and less sensitive to economy fluctuations, at least for the target group I aim for.
On a parallel line, considering the austerity measures taken in Greece, and everywhere else, and the worsening for the next years to come, I think that being employed for a private company or public services is not promising at all any more thus leaving only one way out....entrepreneurship!

Post #86958711th Dec 2011 5:23 pm
MogulBoy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Good luck with the Entrepreneurship! Regarding the D4, its a great way to travel but possibly worth bearing in mind that access to the rear seats requires a bit of gymnastics. Nothing too serious but if you are not familiar with the vehicle you might assume that being comparatively large that the thrid row is just as easy to access as the second but this is not the case. When the seats are occupied, there isn't that much luggage space so you may need to consider a big roof box or possibly even a trailer or tow bar mounted box if you anticipate picking up large parties with luggage... This is where some of the alternative executive express mini-van type vehicles can shine as it is easier to get more passengers in.
 MY11 D4 SDV6 SE LHD (with remote park heater, heated seats in row 2, heated steering wheel and rear HVAC controls!)  
Post #86987012th Dec 2011 11:12 am
vasssilis

Greece 

Thanks. I have checked the third row entry and it is as you say. Nevertheless I expect to use the extra seats occasionally and mainly by families with many kids. I guess kids will not find it hard to get in there. Luggage space is a common issue for all 7-seaters SUVs, but on the other side a mini-van cannot deliver the safety, luxury and comfort you can get in an SUV. Some trailer or roof box could solve the problem whenever appears (know it before hand though).

Post #86990312th Dec 2011 12:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >