Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Never Again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jamo

Australia 
Never Again!

Since the Kal dealer was closed down (not just the LR component, but the whole thing) I've been going to Albany - Never again.

1. The first time I went for the tyre wear TSB + a service. I informed them three weeks in advance, drove the 500km+ to Albany. At the end of the day (note: driving back the next morning) they informed me the service had been done,. but there was no TSB on the tyre wear! I told them they were wrong, the service manager went out the back, came back in 5min later saying "sorry, we couldn't find it before, can you come back in a few days"

Funny how you can't find something in three weeks that you should already know about, but can find it in 5mins when it's too late!

2. OK, three weeks later , I go back for the tyre wear TSB. two days later I go to collect the car: " Sorry, we need new camber bolts for the front, so we did the back and not the front. Can you come back in three weeks as they have to come from the UK?"

Annoying, but, OK so they didn't have the necessary parts! I can sort of understand that, but since it's now been six weeks since they were first informed, couldn't they have prepared a little better?

3. Another three weeks later I again drive the 500km+ to ALbany to get the front done! Go in to pick up the car: "We need to keep it overnight to charger the battery!" Why?' says I; "because the procedure takes time and sometimes it can flatten the battery". "But", says I, "the TSB states that the battery is to be connected to a suitable charger to prevent drain during the process". "Oh" says they!

Pick up car next day (filthy) drive northe to Mt Barker to look at a Banksia Farm on the way home. get there and notice one of the headlight protectors isn't on properly. Open the bonnet to fix this and what do I see but the top of the main battery staring at me!

So, back the 50km to Albany to collect my battery case cover.

I feel sorry for the girl at the service counter. The gormless service manager left it all to her to explain.

My Uni maths lecturer would say: "First time, might be mistake! Second time, could be coincidence!, Third time, must be right!"

So I am right, they are incompetent and my vehicle will never grace their workshop again!

Taking a 1500km return trip to Perth once is better than a total of over 3,000km return for something that should have been done in the first place!

Rant over!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #14113821st Mar 2007 12:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
away

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jamo,

as a fellow country dweller I can empathise with you. I'm not even going to bother going into the dramas I've had over the years. I'm just going to ask a dumb question "What is the tyre wear TSB and why does the battery get involved?"
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #14115221st Mar 2007 12:34 am
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Jamo,
I wonder if you pointed this forum out to your (old) service manager and the owner of the dealership whether it would improve their service? It wouls at least let them know that others won't be using them either until they improve their game! Obviously LR don't seem to check on what their dealers are doing if you read some of the comments in the UK section!

Peter
 regards
Peter

Post #14115921st Mar 2007 12:51 am
Jamo

Australia 

Away, It's a "Technical Service Bulletin" issued to correct uneven tyre wear due to poor geometry settings. I was getting significant wear on the inside edges of all tyres.

In actual fact there are two TSB's to correct the situation.

One covers the actual setting of the geometry (takes 1.8 hours)
The other put's the car into a geometry setting mode. (takes 5+ hours all up).

The testbook needs to be plugged into the car the whole time due to software upload/download. The longish nature of these procedures can drain the battery.

The TSB has 'Caution' written in bold with a warning triangle next to it, advising that the battery is to be put on charge during the procedure.

Hopefully, this wasn't all they missed!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #14116021st Mar 2007 12:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

Peter,

I don't think there's any point. He was avoiding me like the plague!

The girl even had an argument with him about waiving the $25 courtesy car fee (he idea, not mine. She was the only one trying to help). He stayed in his office and my wife heard him say "we gave him a good deal last time!" (which is a complete load of rubbish).

What goes around comes around. There's only about six D3's here. I know them all and will be advising them as to which dealers are the better ones!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #14116621st Mar 2007 12:58 am
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Jamo,
Hurt their pocket is often the only way to get their attention!
Maybe a call to LR customer service (don't know if Australia has one that is similar to what the UK has?) AND if enough people had complaints then the dealership would be investigated by LR?
The old story of everybody thinking somebody will do it and nobody does!

enjoy your trips to Perth Smile
 regards
Peter

Post #14117321st Mar 2007 2:16 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Jamo, I feel for you mate.

It is too easy to get upset at how matters like this are handled by managers and staff when they exhibit incompetence. My suggestion is to be more assertive, letting the people concerned know that you have a good knowledge of what needs to be done and maybe establish a checklist with them so that they can confirm each and every task is satisfactorily handled.

It is disappointing that the dealership has treated your pride and joy in such a way, but of more concern is that they don't seem to value you as a customer and will have to bear the consequences of their displayed ineptitude. From your discussions with them, I have no doubt that you have presented as more knowledgeable than the "average customer" (esp. with access to resources like GTR and disco3.co.uk). That should have alerted them to be more attentive to your needs.

Good luck with future servicing issues but just quietly and firmly stand your ground, set in place some 'groundrules' when you talk to them but never be aggressive as natural human reaction to that is to 'get your back up'.

BTW, I'll bet the banksias looked good...

Regards, Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #14118121st Mar 2007 4:33 am
kenso

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

WOW Shocked I take back all those bad thoughts I had about the guys here!
Kenso

Post #14118321st Mar 2007 4:45 am
Jamo

Australia 

LeighW wrote:
Jamo, I feel for you mate.

It is too easy to get upset at how matters like this are handled by managers and staff when they exhibit incompetence. My suggestion is to be more assertive, letting the people concerned know that you have a good knowledge of what needs to be done and maybe establish a checklist with them so that they can confirm each and every task is satisfactorily handled.

Problem is, I let them know the first time that I had access to the GTR. In fact, it seemed the more I knew, the worse they got!

When they discharged the battery, I let the first guy who was making some stuff up as to why the battery was discharged know what the TSB said and he said "I don't know the whole story so I'll hand to over to someone else." The girl at the counter was then the one that they left to explain the situation. I explained to her what they should have done.

I didn't get upset or angry or yell or anything. I just laid out the facts. It wasn't the girl's fault, and I would suggest that the service manager needs a little more 'customer focus' and 'intestinal fortitude'. One of the greatest ills with society today is that very few people are willing to stand up and take resposibility for their actions. He's getting paid to manage the service department. He should try some actual managing!.

I didn't really get annoyed until I went back the next day at 9am, having been promised the car would be ready by 8:30, only to find they hadn't touched it since the day before!. Now that is incredibly bad service and a complete and utter failure by the service manager.

LR reads this forum and I don't think any formal complaints in this regard will get me anywhere. I don't care if that dealer does improve, I'm not going back.

I'm also not going to tell them where they're going wrong (anymore than I did when I was there). For that, they'll have to pay me my consultancy rate!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #14118621st Mar 2007 5:22 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jamo,

Sorry to hear of your troubles with dealers.

How about complaining to LRA about this Dealer. Might be worth the effort to get some compensation on your time and costs for travelling.

Just a thought.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #14118721st Mar 2007 5:38 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Chris - I agree. This would then be a real proactive hit to the dealer's hip pocket.

Jamo - good luck!

Cheers,
Rob

Post #14119021st Mar 2007 7:47 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Jamo
What poor service, it certainly does not encourage you or others to purchase their products Exclamation
I have found the mechanics are better to talk to than the pin striped doods at the fancey desk,
When I pick my D3 up after service the head mechanic who alwayse does mine slips out into the
parking lot to talk about what has happened and to answer my questions, this is very much apreciated.

I have no answer to your problem, in eney case dealers only carry basic parts so have to order in which causes
delays, I have this problem too but only have a 45 min drive, this is a newcence too but more so for you.

Rob

Post #14120021st Mar 2007 9:24 am
Denroyd

Australia 

Jamo

Not good, especially as I am picking a new D3 up from them next week. Having said it is unlikley I will be having my car serviced there as I live in Perth

Thanks for the comment

Den

Post #1461606th Apr 2007 3:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >