Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

My new 2016 LR4 SCV6 Landmark
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
My new 2016 LR4 SCV6 Landmark

After maybe 12 months looking I finally found a very late model LR4 to replace my aging but excellent 2006 LR3 V8 (my 7th Discovery 3 or 4). I wanted the LR4 because the vehicles really work hard for us and I've found nothing that compares for hauling, camping, kayaking, etc. Prices in the US for these are very strong indeed and have actually risen throughout 2020. As a result, good vehicles go very quickly and for strong money. Stories of people flying across the states or shipping them across the states are not uncommon.

In the end, and having had a search with a 1,500 mile radius, this vehicle came into the LR Manhattan stealership, about 28 miles away. It was built in late 2016, is a one-owner Landmark with 35K; no accidents, etc. It came with 2 years of Certified Pre-owned warranty, but it was absolutely top dollar (as they say here). One of the reasons my search took so long was because of the spec I was after. As has been established, US Disco 4/LR4 do not come with the transfer box as standard, and so very few vehicles have it as an option. I also wanted adaptive cruise and a couple of other things like the cameras, collision avoidance thingy, etc. This vehicle has the lot.

I've started work on sorting out the corrosion and rust-proofing it (recoated the underside with rust-inhibiting paint, spraying the cavities, etc). I've also played around a little with the cosmetic aspects and am going for a black-pack (it was sort of a half-way house when I got it).

Some pics.

As-received:

Really like the look of these tyres (Nitto - had never heard of them but they get really good reviews):

Interior was a key factor in picking this vehicle:

And the transfer box...

And the adaptive cruise:

Front grille originally (I'd already removed the air dam thing at the bottom of the bumper and plastidipped it black by this point):

Masked up the grille to go after the shiny silver strip and paint the roof rails black (were silver). Also removed and plastidipped the fog lamp bezzels and swapped the grey LAND ROVER for black letters:

Next steps are to get rid of the side steps and replace with rock sliders ordered today from the UK at extortionate shipping costs Big Cry Shocked

I very much like the power of the LR4 SCV6, but it sounds like toss compared to the purr of the V8 (also the ac only works cold on one side of the car, but that's for the stealer to sort).
 PAGODA  
Post #218743816th Nov 2020 6:57 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Nice Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #218744216th Nov 2020 7:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Very nice and liking the way your going with the mods. Thumbs Up

Thank goodness you weren't tempted to put "discovery" lettering on the bonnet
(I know it's LR in the USA).
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #218744616th Nov 2020 7:23 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I really like the colour of the leather.

You’re right, there’s nothings available that will directly compare with the D4. You have to compromise, how much is down to your needs.

If I’d had the space at the back of my house for another vehicle I would have been very tempted to keep my last Landmark as a “toy”. Fantastic vehicle and whilst l love the FFRR, I do miss it.

Look forward to the updates.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #218744716th Nov 2020 7:23 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

ronp wrote:
Very nice and liking the way your going with the mods. Thumbs Up

Thank goodness you weren't tempted to put "discovery" lettering on the bonnet
(I know it's LR in the USA).

Thanks, Ronp. To be honest I've looked closely at your LR and basically copied what I could! I thought about the snorkel but only for cosmetics. I don't think I'd need one, so probably won't go down that route although I think it looks really good on yours. The side steps don't work for us as we're all over 6 feet, so they're just at the wrong height. I'm going to plastidip the wheels I think. Over time and when I need new tyres I'm going to look at Black Rhino wheels. Prices for quite decent looking wheels in the US aren't too bad. A friend has these: https://fitment.blackrhinowheels.com/alloy...;model=LR4

I think they'll look cool. Maybe one day...

@LT: Thanks. I really like the FFRR. A couple of mates have them and they love them, but we have so many bits for the D4 (barrier, cages, racks, etc) and really need the 3rd row. One day I'll have a FFRR (and a 911). Hopefully I can make this LR4 last a decade or so, in which case it'd be where I let me V8 go. Fingers crossed.
 PAGODA  
Post #218746016th Nov 2020 8:29 pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

That is one very, very lucky D4 Thumbs Up

It has clearly gone to a good home and will be cherished Thumbs Up

Post #218753317th Nov 2020 9:05 am
garrycol

Australia 

I have the same Nittos on my RRS - are a good all round tyre - quiet on the road and pretty good offroad when needed. Pricing is also exceptional - they are made in Japan by Toyo tyres.

Garry

Post #218753517th Nov 2020 9:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >