Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

New battery / BMS query plus cold start issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
alex0264

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4
New battery / BMS query plus cold start issue

Good morning all and happy new year to you. I have a couple of queries I would like to run past you please. I will add that the car is under warranty, and I will be contacting the garage when they are open again.

The main vehicle battery failed on me Christmas day - just after we had loaded everything up! Luckily we have another car so that wasn't a problem, and I knew the battery had problems anyway. I decided not to cut any corners and purchased a genuine LR094642 battery and fitted it on Thursday, problem solved. The question I have is that I replaced a Lucas 95Ah 800CCA battery and the car was configured for a 950CCA battery. The genuine LR battery I have fitted is rated for 850CCA, but my GAP IID tool doesn't seem to have an option for this capacity of battery, so I have left it on 950CCA. I did do the BMS reset for the main battery in the CCF menu, so perhaps I don't need to do anymore with it?

The second thing is an odd issue I'm experiencing when starting the car from cold. I press the start/stop button and wait for a few seconds, then I press the brake pedal and the start/stop button, the blower motors turn off, the glow plug light illuminates for around 2-3 seconds, then the car starts. I should add that the glow plug light never illuminates, only when this happens which I find a bit odd. I never experienced this issue with my previous two D4s, so I'm a bit worried, but I guess it's still under warranty so all should be well.

Many thanks

Post #23573701st Jan 2024 12:49 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

when you start from cold all you need to do is press the brake pedal then the start button you don't need to hold the button in i don't quite understand why you press the button first the press the brake then press the button again that's not necessary
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #23573711st Jan 2024 1:15 pm
alex0264

I always press the button first - it's the equivalent of turning the key to the ignition position before starting. I've always done this to ensure the glow plug light has gone out before attempting to start the vehicle.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 - D4 HSE Luxury Scotia Grey - Just as bad as the last one!
2014 - D4 HSE Indus Silver - Moneypit v2
2011 - D4 HSE Stornoway Grey - Legendary car
2006 - D3 HSE Buckingham Blue - Moneypit v1 

Post #23573721st Jan 2024 1:18 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

you don't need to just foot on brake press button and release then the glow plug cycle will start and you will get a delay until the starter cranks depending on how long the glow plugs need

when you want to turn the ignition on without starting you press the button without your foot on the brake pedal (glow plugs don't cycle)

have a look in the owners handbook it will explain, I've had my d4 for 5yrs now that's how mines always worked

ps just reread your fist post prob saved you an embarrassing conversation with you local dealer lol Thumbs Up
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #23573731st Jan 2024 1:32 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: New battery / BMS query plus cold start issue

Quote:

The second thing is an odd issue I'm experiencing when starting the car from cold. I press the start/stop button and wait for a few seconds, then I press the brake pedal and the start/stop button, the blower motors turn off, the glow plug light illuminates for around 2-3 seconds, then the car starts. I should add that the glow plug light never illuminates, only when this happens which I find a bit odd. I never experienced this issue with my previous two D4s, so I'm a bit worried, but I guess it's still under warranty so all should be well.

This is normal behaviour for the car. As has been stated no need to press the start button before putting foot on brake. After you press it the first time, you're effectively turning the ignition off by pressing again. I guess holding it in on the second press with the brake pedal eventually turns it all back on again and starts the car.

Sorry, can't answer your query ref battery. I thought the correct battery was 950.

Cheers[/quote]
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #23573821st Jan 2024 3:23 pm
faulksy

Wales 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

alex0264 wrote:
I always press the button first - it's the equivalent of turning the key to the ignition position before starting. I've always done this to ensure the glow plug light has gone out before attempting to start the vehicle.

i always do that when its cold. but now i will do it the proper way Laughing
 had a d1 ,d2 a land mark d4 for 3 days now have awsome d4 in orkney grey hse sdv6 my12  
Post #23578275th Jan 2024 8:19 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

The ECU won't turn on the glow plugs unless an actual Start has been requested.

A traditional key would have 0/1/2/3 (Start) positions with the Start spring loaded. Yes 2 would allow you to preheat the glow plugs before turning further against the spring to engage the starter.

The Start button with no brake is position 1 not 2, 2 is button + brake and the ECU automatically goes to 3 once initial tests are complete and the glow plugs are up to temp. It is impossible for the starter motor to engage unless they are hot.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #23578435th Jan 2024 9:59 pm
faulksy

tried it correctly today before doing the turbo bypass mod.
started is per instructions, it didn't start immediately, it waited untill the glow light went off then tuned over. approx 2 second delay then all was good Thumbs Up
 had a d1 ,d2 a land mark d4 for 3 days now have awsome d4 in orkney grey hse sdv6 my12  
Post #23579156th Jan 2024 8:34 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yes, that's exactly what mine does this time of year. I guess it's waiting for glow plugs to heat. In the summer when it's warmer , the time between pressing the button and starting is almost nothing.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #23579166th Jan 2024 8:46 pm
faulksy

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #23579226th Jan 2024 10:17 pm
alex0264

This was a definite learning curve, no surprise it was operator error on my part! Needless to say now I depress the brake pedal and then press the button, wait a few seconds and off it goes. Honestly, these forums are worth their weight in gold, even just for sanity checking sometimes it is so helpful. Thanks all
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 - D4 HSE Luxury Scotia Grey - Just as bad as the last one!
2014 - D4 HSE Indus Silver - Moneypit v2
2011 - D4 HSE Stornoway Grey - Legendary car
2006 - D3 HSE Buckingham Blue - Moneypit v1 

Post #236311728th Feb 2024 4:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >