DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

New D4 SE just ordered, wondering about new accessories
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Juliat

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
New D4 SE just ordered, wondering about new accessories

Hi All
Just placed an order for d4 se with e-diff, won't get delivery till october at the earliest, but am now considering the add ons and would be grateful for ideas/advice

Having had a bash plate from Rasta to protect the radiator on my 2008d3 am keen to obtain one for the d4, but my researches are hitting a wall in my attempts to find an email address to locate a distributor in oz. The original came from melbourne but 4X4 intelligence seem to have disappeared.
Does anyone have any ideas or alternative suppliers?

My current 2nd battery setup a Redarc with odyssey battery has been terrific, fitted by Grahame Coopers in Sydney hasn't missed a beat, but I note that many people favour the Traxide setup, does anyone have experience of either of these systems in the D4.

Last but not least what to do about tyres/wheels. We have a set of 17s with cooper sts for touring which I imported myself from the uk, and use the 18s with cooper hts when back in sydney. Have looked at the compomotive 18 option but not sure what tyres are now available for these. The salesman was suggesting 20 inch wheels as there are apparently more tyres to choose and just have an aAT type tyre and no second set of wheels. Sounds attractive but having already been caught once unable to get a replacement tyre I am inclined th think that the extra side wall height of the 18s might be better
Not sure about taking 20 inch wheels into the victorian high country or anywhere else remote for that matter.

Mitchell hitch can be transferred to the newie with just a fitting kit replacement which will save me a bit of money. Phew thats lucky!

Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome.

Post #11112331st Jun 2013 3:38 am
sheerluck

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would say you are correct to be wary about 20" wheels offroad. Gordon at the Green Oval Experience (user name gghaggis on AULRO) will be able to help you with 18" wheels that will fit the D4, and the bash plates.

For the dual battery set up, Traxide sell D4 specific kits rather than generic parts, and I know from his postings here that Tim at Traxide understands the D3/4 electronics very very well indeed.

Me, I'm saving up for one of his D3 kits.

Post #11112351st Jun 2013 4:38 am
Juliat

Thanks Sheerluck
Sounds as tho the Traxide is the way to go. Will make some enquiries.
Will also email green oval and make some enquiries re wheels and protection.
Plenty of time yet, but I will be in the uk in August so I have that up my sleeve, it did cross my mind to import directly from the uk, but I am not sure about the import duty, didn't arise last time as the wheels were second hand officially although taken off a new car. Had to pay all sorts of agriculture inspection fees etc but was only a small cost compared to possible import duty on new wheels. Saved me a small fortune when compared to the cost in buying new wheels from land rover australia.

Post #11112381st Jun 2013 5:32 am
garrycol

Australia 

I believe Gordon commissioned the 18" wheels himself with clearance on the calipers, so unless someone else has had made special wheels made I doubt you will be able to get any 18" to fit other than Gordon's.

Garry

Post #11112551st Jun 2013 7:39 am
JeffD4

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
18 inch

I have 18 inch rims supplied by GOE here in Perth with Bridgestone LT tyres fitted. A great combination. I believe GOE is the "approved" distributor in Australia and the price is very reasonable Very Happy
 Land Rover Series IIA 1967
Discovery 300 Tdi 1998 (white, ARB bullbar, suspension lift, roof rack, Lightforce spots etc)
Discovery 4 3.0 Litre White, e-diff 

Post #11113201st Jun 2013 12:10 pm
phl

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

FWIW, the Traxide from Tim has more smarts than the Redarc (which I also had in my previous 4WD). The Traxide keeps the battery joined until the voltage drops below 12V; enough for the main to start theD4, but also gives you extra Aux battery capacity, whereas the Redarc separated as soon as the engine stopped. Also allows the batteries to equalise. The new kit also has a limiter to cut out the rear cig sockets to stop the Aux battery being drawn down too low. Tim has also pre-cut/pre-crimped everything, so it's an easy fit (once you get it through the firewall); did take me nearly 4 hours though, as it was my first time.

I'm still waiting for Gordon to get back to me re: bash plates. The D4 ones are undergoing field tests.

Post #11113211st Jun 2013 12:12 pm
Juliat

Thanks everyone, will start getting onto it although I have not been given a definite delivery date yet as I specified an My14 build in an effort to reduce the number of fairy lights, but it is unlikely to be before October/November.

Post #11115392nd Jun 2013 4:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >