DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

New Disco on its way!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JBS003

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
New Disco on its way!

Hi all,

I have been pottering around this forum for a few weeks now as I was in the process of buying. The information here really helped me make an informed decision and made the buying process very easy. Clearly this is an accessible and friendly forum.

I am a true anglophile when it comes to motor vehicles, and have always loved the Land Rover marque. I almost bought a Disco II in '99, but at last minute went with a Patrol (which I must say was great) because I got an exceptionally good price . Moved to Sydney and had to get rid of it because wife didn't like driving a tank around the suburbs. A few months after I entered a lease for my current car (Liberty 3.0R, awesome car but way too small for me), the Disco 3 came out and I was blown away! Wife was not so keen ("its too boxy"), but after 2 years of whinging a couple of weeks ago out of the blue she capitulated! Didn't waste any time, took advantage of the drive away deal and the corporate deal and now have a Java SE V6 on order to arrive in late June/early July. Will be a very long couple of months. Especially can't wait to get back into the bush and on the sand.

I am currently working out what to deduct for running expenses with my novated lease, so a couple of quick questions for any of you out there who have a V6 and use it a lot in a city:

Are the consumption figures quoted by LR fairly accurate?

Do you use 95 or 98 gas? Is there a noticable difference in performance or economy between the two?

Look forward to joining the club and contributing here.

Cheers
J

Post #14386528th Mar 2007 11:23 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You may have to wait for the USA members to give you the consumption figure, we don't get the V6 petrol in UK. Anyway, great choice and welcome Thumbs Up

Post #14386928th Mar 2007 11:29 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
the USA members

Australians surely, G? Wink
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #14387028th Mar 2007 11:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Embarassed Yep them too Wink

Post #14387228th Mar 2007 11:33 pm
MJC73

Hi JBS

Welcome to the 4.0L V6 Java SE club - mine is now 6 weeks old and have been having a ball - not a problem to speak of yet (touch wood), will be getting it on the sand this weekend up at Noosa.

Regarding fuel consumption I have found it to, if anything, be better than suggested - I do drive pretty gently (cant see the point of thrashing a 2.6tonne 4X4) but according to the trip computer I have been getting 15L per 100k's for compeletely urban driving which I dont think is too bad especially given the size of the beast. The torque of the V6 engine is pretty impressive, and a nice match to the 6 speed auto, consequently its rarely over 2000rpm.

I was previously driving a Holden Astra and having to squeeze the three wheeled pram into the front seat when taking the wife and baby shopping - its a nice change to not have to worry about things like that and the 7 month old loves his new high view out the window.

All you have to worry about is how you're going to survive the wait. Smile

Post #14389029th Mar 2007 1:26 am
JBS003

Cheers guys,

MJC that is very good news re consumption. I have no intentions of stamping on the throttle either. I am bracing myself for a bit of a hit at the bowser, but my subaru is extremely thirsty as well - I often average 13L/km. If I can get anything near your figures I won't even notice the difference.

We are in the same boat on baby's, strollers and boot space. I was comfortable with the Subes until we had our first baby 8 months ago. We too have one of those mac daddy 3 wheeler strollers. When we go away on weekends (which is quite a lot), throwing in that, the portable cot and associated baby junk, then adding wife's junk, I don't have enough room for a six pack.

I will be interested to hear how you go in the sand.

Post #14389129th Mar 2007 2:12 am
MJC73

Will be my first 4X4 experience on the sand so should be interesting - the secret apparently (according to sand driving experts) is to let the tyres down to 20psi, disengage DSC and make sure that you dont go over 50kph in soft sand at offroad height or you could come-a-cropper as the Disco lowers itself automatically at that speed.

Will let you know how we go.

M.

Post #14389429th Mar 2007 7:06 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi JBS,
I had a 2005 V6 SE loaner for 2 weeks, just before I took delivery of my TDV6. I concur that about 15L/100km in city is normal. On the highway trip from Sydney down to Kiama and back, I was able to get about 13L/100km.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #14389829th Mar 2007 7:43 am
Jamo

Australia 

MJC73 wrote:
Will be my first 4X4 experience on the sand so should be interesting - the secret apparently (according to sand driving experts) is to let the tyres down to 20psi, disengage DSC and make sure that you dont go over 50kph in soft sand at offroad height or you could come-a-cropper as the Disco lowers itself automatically at that speed.

Will let you know how we go.

M.

If your'e running the OE 18's you may need to go down to as low as 10psi in really soft sand.

If you've got 17's then 16-18psi is good for the soft stuff.

I found that the 255/60R18's didn't start to get a whiff of flotation in the soft stuff until 14psi.

Welcome aboard JBS003! Very Happy
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #14393829th Mar 2007 10:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MJC73

Its going to be dead low tide when we get there so I'm expecting to be driving on the hard sand most of the way probably only in the soft stuff at the entry to the beach itself, reckon I'll give it a go at 18psi, give it a bit of gas getting on and off the beach and cross my fingers, I'm just a bit worried about previous posts about tyres rolling off rims at low inflation.

If I'm not here posting on Monday can someone come up to Teewah beach and give me a tow Laughing

Post #14434330th Mar 2007 1:28 am
away

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hmmm....dead low tide + bogged vehicle = Dead vehicle.

And another hoary old quote "Time and TIDE wait for no man."

Be careful, it ain't all rock hard down a the low water mark and there are plenty of people around to testify to that.
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #14456030th Mar 2007 9:27 pm
MJC73

Managed to survive the drive....without getting bogged

Actually it was all pretty simple - there were some well worn rutts in the sand at the entrance to the beach so I utilised those, dont think I even needed to deflate the tyres to 20psi.

Managed to get the Disco wet too, the third cutting on the way back from Rainbow beach has a perfect little creek crossing, walked it first and found it to be up to my knees so back in the car and with offroad height selected I took off (a little fast as it turned out, think I might have left it in sand mode and got the extra grunt) we had some water over the bonnet for a second but we made it across safely (much to the relief of my wife), got back to the hotel and realised that I'd lost the front number plate - if anyone up that way finds it I apologise for littering.

Smile

Post #1448721st Apr 2007 8:06 am
JBS003

Good to hear it ate it up. 20psi is a good pressure, no stress about the tyres coming off the rims and ok to drive on the black stuff. I rarely had to get my Patrol below that on the sand.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but why wouldn't they let you lock the suspension at height over 50km/h for times when you are doing things like sand work? Is it a safety thing to avoid toppling them over?

Post #1450222nd Apr 2007 1:19 am
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

One can only guess what the Landrover engineers were think when they set the limit at 50km/hr but yes, we tend to think it was to stop the vehicle toppling over. Imagine this and litigation tendencies in the USA....

I remember reading somewhere in this forum of an European firm which had a work-around for this issue.
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #1450272nd Apr 2007 3:21 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DiscoAtom, that company is Matzker - if anyone wants more info search this forum using "Matzker AND suspension"

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #1450292nd Apr 2007 4:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >