Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

New Disco3 Owner and already in trouble?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
eluijten

Belgium 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
New Disco3 Owner and already in trouble?

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and new to owning a LR. I bought a 2005 Disco3 SE Manual gearbox (first registration may 2006) with 90000 km's on the odometer. I got it on march 18th 2011. I was really happy as the car drove perfectly when I test drove it ( I took it for a descent spin with a friend of mine that is a car mechanic).

On March 20 the bonnet wouldn't open, because of a snapped cable. I wanted to clean the engine bay but the snapped cable prevented that. So off to the local LR Dealer. It took us 2 hours to open the bonnet without any damage ... pfffff. So I was all happy again. It turned out the cable came loose and was not snapped. The housing where the two cables join had opened, allowing the cable to detach. 2 tie wraps will prevent this from happening again...

Anyway, serious issues 2 days later. When I started the car, all kind of warning on the dash....HDC Faults, ABS faults ... special programmes off etc. I believe these are referred to as the "three amigos"??
So I turned the engine off and restarted a few minutes later. It wouldn't start.... After an hour it started but it was stuck in low gear and the suspensions were low. Off to the dealer again....

I started reading the forums for possibles causes as my LR dealer claims to never have had this issue before....In the mean time tested the battery, that is apparently still fine. Replaced the transmission ECU as my dealer thought that had failed. Issues still exist. Next thing he thinks is that the transfer case is broken....that is going to be a massive cost.

I am worried what might be next and if the transfer case replacement is fixing the issue. I have faith in the LR dealer as he is trying his best and seems to be very helpful.

I have a warranty of 1 year on the car via a separate insurance.

I was just wondering if anybody had good tips to what to look for....

thanks Erwin

Post #7817082nd Apr 2011 8:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

First of all, the "3 Amigos" refers to a regular fault on the Discovery 2, when the SLABS computer fails and lights up 3 warning lights - nothing to do with the D3.

Your errors are the kind of things that occur when the battery is low, or the alternator not charging. I would be doubtful that the transfer box needs replacing. More likely the plug to the Transfer box ecu has got water ingress (you didn't pressure wash the engine bay did you?)

Get a second opinion.

Post #7817112nd Apr 2011 8:38 pm
eluijten

Belgium 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Gareth,

I cleaned the engine bay by hand using a sponge. My friend (who is a mechanic) warned me not to use a hose or pressure wash it.
My dealer said he tested with a brand new battery and problems persist. I suggested to him to try that after digging through some forum's.

We checked the transfer box ECU and even replaced it as it had some but very litlle corrosion on the connectors. It seems to be ok.

Thanks for your input though. I really appreciate it.

I am kind of frustrated now as I am in Scotland for business for three weeks and can't do much but wait...

grrrrrrr

Post #7817142nd Apr 2011 8:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >