Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

New Discovery 3 owner, terrible brakes - oil in servo!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Felstmiester

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just out of interest. What is the cost of the repair that has to be done?

There was a similar issue with bmw a fair few years ago where a handful of people managed to get there instrument clusters replaced free of charge due to dead pixels on the screens. From memory this was a £2000 job and all done at various dealers around uk. Yet others was fobbed off and told they had to pay.

Post #187191924th Oct 2017 5:02 pm
davehooook

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
hard brake / gurgle

Had a bad braking experience last night, slowed for traffic and the brake hardened in the last few meters getting very close to the car in front so I stomped on it. Assume I didnt damage the seat as a pressed like a MoFo. I had noticed gurgling noises a while ago and put this down to the heating system.

Car was recalled in 2010 by Marshall's in Bedford. No paper work on what they did.

Called Guy Salmon in Bristol this morning. Their technician got back to me quickly and asked to see it (asked if it could be recovered in !!). over the phone they verbally said they would investigate at their cost. When I dropped it off this evening the service reception tried to advise me it would be £156 for an investigation. Will see where we get to in the morning and update you all

Post #19331133rd Apr 2018 8:04 pm
wezzyt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Any news on how you got on mines just started very large brown stains when. Trying to stop on the motorway
 2005 Tdv6 s d3
1998 mx5
2003 Mini Cooper s
1994 disco v8 3.9 (gone but not forgotten) 

Post #19504623rd Jun 2018 6:06 pm
davehooook

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
hard brake issue

Where do I start...

Its been 2x months since I took the Discovery in to Guy Salmon Bristol with the hard brake issue and issue is still not resolved.

Dealership confirmed oil in the brake servo. New servo, vac pump and lines needed. Total cost £850. Dealership asked Landrover for financial assistance. After 2 weeks of firstly agreeing, Landrover turnaround and declined citing age and millage of vehicle (MY06, 115k).

During April I followed up with Landrover and questioned their commitment to Safety etc. The failure of the braking system and taking a considerably increased stopping distance - post recall, is in my book a safety issue. Landrover state they have done all they need to do (in a legal stance) and are committed to safety, however after 100k my understanding is that they dont appear to have any ethics in the safety department.

Landrover were unable to tell me what occurred in the 2010 recall, but tell me that it was completed. It has taken me 8 weeks to get a record of the work carried out on the recall in writing,eventually obtaining this from the original dealership who did the work. The pipes and servo were changed. No mention of vac pump, or vac pump modification.

To get my landrover fixed this time, the dealer requires the vacuum pump to be replaced and modified. I can find no record of the 'modification' in the original recall but thats what they say is needed.

I have since reported this to VOSA who tell me that Landrover have tried to close the case, but VOSA have requested more information. How this will pan out I am not sure. Its now been 6 weeks.

To conclude, I agreed to pay for the repair myself last week so repairs are underway. Its been 2 months without the discovery and needed its capabilities a number of times whilst its been collecting dust so now very eager to get it back - and safe.

I don't find it acceptable for an issue to be significant enough to be a safety recall in 2010 to no longer be a safety issue if it re-occurs 8 years later. Component life / wear & tear should not be a factor if the symptoms are the same. These Discovery's are safety time bombs if they are going to fail without warning.

My advise. Call VOSA 1st thing Monday morning and make them aware.

Post #19505113rd Jun 2018 8:09 pm
medmo

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hey Dave

Wondered how you got on with this in the end? Did they ever contribute?

Post #22396932nd Jul 2021 10:54 pm
Bracechenko

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Medmo,

Not sure if this is helpful but I have recently bought a 56 plate D3 with this issue. Called LR and had the brush off.....paid independently to get it resolved and it cost me £970.

A stinger but nice to report that I have brakes! I discovered my issue whilst trying to stop approaching a roundabout with a caravan on the back and my 5 year old son in the car.

Post #22446962nd Aug 2021 12:29 pm
FidoNick

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Johnny Oxford wrote:
same problem here

UPDATE

I just spoke to Land Rover customer service.

Due to vehicle age (10+ yrs), mileage (115000), the fact that I purchased it privately, and have not had it serviced at a dealership - it is "very unlikely" that they would offer any help.

I also spoke to another local highly respected (ex Land Rover and 30 yrs experience) Indie - and he also told me not to waste time or money with them, he has seen many similar.

What p!ssed me off most was that she mentioned "brand loyalty" as being a factor is their discretion to help, which means that it's OK for you to drive around in a potential death trap if you have chosen to use an independent mechanic rather than a main dealer for your servicing.

My only consolation is that I didn't let them fleece me of any cash for the privilege of telling me that I had to foot the bill myself.

I have a funny feeling that a lot of you are driving round with oil in your servo, you just don't know it, check if I were you - pull the pipe off the grommet and dip the servo with a long cable tie).

Hi Johnny - I think this is just the info I've been looking for to check the oil in booster status! Any chance you (or someone) could help with a couple of pics on how to check please? WIthout an IID, I'm reluctant to do anything which might involve bleeding or messing around with brake fluids. Adddto that, I'm rnowned for looking at the wrong thing Confused

Thanks!
Nick

Post #22942023rd Jun 2022 10:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >