Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

New rear prop shaft, vibes around 60mph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cleland72

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
New rear prop shaft, vibes around 60mph

Before our drive it Italy I replaced the rear prop shaft as the centre bearing rubber had split on the old one. New shaft is a GKN one from Island 4x4. Our local motorway is all 40mph limit at the moment, so I didn't get a chance to test it before we left. Once on the trip down though I noticed significant vibrations around 60mph, luckily they'd stopped by the time 70mph was reached, so it wasn't a big issue.

The only thing that has changed before and after the vibrations appearing is the prop shaft, so it would seem that's the cause. I know that when you remove and refit a prop shaft you mark up the flanges so the shaft is refitted in the same orientation as it came off but obviously you can't do that with a new shaft. It could be that the shaft is faulty - the CV joint at the front felt fairly stiff before I fitted it but I figured maybe that's the way CV joints are. Unfortunately removing the old shaft involved a fair bit of persuasion on the old CV joint, so I can't refit it to check. I'm thinking about rotating the rear flange by 180 degrees to see if that helps.

Any other ideas?

Post #19809195th Sep 2018 9:55 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Don't know about Discos but on performance drive lines for for track cars, when we have had problems we have split the coupling (flange) again and move it 90 degrees around. Does not always solve the issue (it did on a few) but often changes the 'nature' of the vibration. If it changes 'flavour' then you know you are on the right lines for further investigation.

Saves spending more money from the outset (until you are sure).

Just a thought Whistle
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #19809585th Sep 2018 11:26 am
cleland72

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Cheers, will give that a try. After summer holidays all for anything that doesn't cost!

Post #19809615th Sep 2018 11:30 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Are you sure all the flanges are home square?
Rotating the the prop in relation to the diff/g-box flanges shouldnt make any difference at all as the prop is balanced not the flanges.

If everyhting is good I rekcon its another prop time

Post #19810115th Sep 2018 2:09 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

When you say “the old cv took persuasion” do you mean you hit the joint with a hammer ? If so you’ve possibly damaged the flange and that’s why it’s throwing/vibrating. Just my thoughts on it
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #19810325th Sep 2018 3:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >