Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

New SE but what year?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
GJS

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
New SE but what year?

Ordered my new 2006 Discovery SE TDV6 on 18th Feb 2006.

Picked it up just over a week ago. Its got Xenon headlights as standard but none of the standard 2006 options (roof rails etc.) but the dealer assured me it would have a full size spare wheel which is OK and all this implies a 2005 car.

Found out when I got it home that it was built in September 2005 and also that it has a spacesaver NOT a full size wheel. Not much good for me if I am 200 miles from home late at night with a puncture. Hopefully the dealer will come good and replace the wheel........still waiting to hear a week after the first call.

Its a shame that Land Rover can't sort out their options lists more clearly on such an expensive car.....it would have helped to know what I was getting!

Post #4904221st Mar 2006 5:08 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Hi GJS. Firstly, don't loose heart. The earlier SE's had a better spec than the current ones. I would suggest the Bi Xenons are better to have than the roof rails and cooler cubby box. Besides, it is cheaper to add the 06 options than to replace the 05 options (£700+ for Xenons).

I am unsure if you will actually have a late 05MY or an early 06MY car - but there are actually two 06MY varients already with a build change in December 05. My SE was built in Dec 05 but it is a 1st generation 06MY. I have Xenons as standard (they were removed from the SE during December) plus I have the roof rails and cubby box etc. by adding the 'accessory pack'.

As for the spare wheel - go back to the dealer and complain that you have an older model than expected. Tell them you want a full size spare or you want a newer car. I expect that will have the required result. Laughing

Post #4904821st Mar 2006 6:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GJS

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks JMC. I am happy to have the xenons and agree that they are a better deal overall. Do wish that I had also ordered roof rails now. I was expecting Thule to have a solution and it seems difficult to get them fitted later.

Apart from that the car's great.
 TDV6 SE - Buckingham Blue with Alpaca  
Post #4905121st Mar 2006 6:26 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Retrofit roof rails is a DIY job.....or can be done by your dealer.

Your VIN will give you the model year, but it should be an 06 if it was built in September.

Post #4905221st Mar 2006 6:31 pm
SN

Winger wrote:
Your VIN will give you the model year, but it should be an 06 if it was built in September.
Has anyone got a list of which VIN ranges go with which model years? Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4905821st Mar 2006 7:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

GJS, mine is a Sep 05 SE, and the spec sounds the same as the standard then.
so the full-size spare, front PDC and other stuff was optional. it would be nice if the LR marketing dept would stop mucking about with the specs wouldn't it?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #4906021st Mar 2006 7:13 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

2005 model year end something like 5Axxxxxx

2006 model year end 6Axxxxxxx

and so on Smile

Goodness knows what they'll do for 2010 model year onwards Confused Shocked
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #4906221st Mar 2006 7:14 pm
SN

Doh! - any idea about the two MY06 variants?
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4906621st Mar 2006 7:24 pm
knightma

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had the opposite happen to me. Ordered an SE with metallic, roof rails and tow pack. The dealer located a car with the spec I wanted within the network thus allowing me to take delivery within 2 weeks. On delivery the dealer pointed out I'd struck lucky as the car had front PDC and a fridge which I'd not ordered. After a couple of weeks I noticed the car didn't have xenons. I phoned the dealer to be told the spec had changed in December 05 and I had a January 06 car but as I'd not asked for the Xenons specifically he'd not bothered to tell me. Absolute nonsense, I'd specifically ordered the SE which as far as I'd been lead to believe included xenons. They also didn't mention the roof rails I'd effectively paid for twice. He didn't have an excuse for that one. The xenons are important to me as I work in Germany and wanted the switchable lights that avoid the need for stickers.

I finally got the dealer to admit he'd made a mistake but as yet he's not agreed to do anything about it. I've said I want the xenons retrofitting but he initially said this was not technically possible. I've read on this site that it is and informed him, so he's gone away to re-check for himself. This was over a week ago, he's now avoiding my phone calls and won't return them. It's quite unbelievable that any prestige car dealer thinks he can behave like this. Such a pity the service from this dealer doesn't match the quality of the car. Not impressed at all.

Post #4908821st Mar 2006 8:13 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Do what I did when a dealer mucked me around once too often...

....go and park right across the entrance to the dealership so no one can get in or out, lock the car, go inside, calmly but loudly tell them it doesn't move until you get a result and take a seat

Did wonders for me, busier the dealership is the better Twisted Evil

Post #4909121st Mar 2006 8:35 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I should also add if you're lucky things will move to the stage when you can spend a good 15 minutes or so giving the oink that's been mucking you around a really good dressing down right in front of his manager Twisted Evil Razz

Post #4909321st Mar 2006 8:42 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

When I collected my car from the dealer I said
"If it goes wrong and I'm not happy with the service I will return it through the showroom window"
So far I have been extremely happy with the car and the dealer. Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #4909421st Mar 2006 8:44 pm
chippypip

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

JMC wrote:
My SE was built in Dec 05 but it is a 1st generation 06MY.

If it was built in Dec '05, I must be in some kind of time warp! We sat in a Cairns Blue SE with the same spec and in exactly the same parking spot in Nov.

Could be an exact same spec mind.....

Post #4910421st Mar 2006 9:21 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Quote:
We sat in a Cairns Blue SE with the same spec and in exactly the same parking spot in Nov.

To be fair to Ryan at Lakeland (I know you are reading this Ryan!!), he told me mine was just before the build change in December. Perhaps that could have meant November... Embarassed If you were to tell me that you were sat in it a year earlier I'd be MUCH more worried Twisted Evil

Anyway, Chippypip, I now feel like the daddy bear in the Goldielocks story...... WHO'S been sitting in MY chair..... Laughing

I'd love to say I'm saddened to find someone who has 'been there' before me, but I'm quite an obliging soul, so I trust you enjoyed the hospitality of my car before I did. 8)

If I ever find a fault with the seats in future, I'll know where to come knocking Exclamation It worried me slightly at first, the fact that my car had been 'demo'd' in the showroom, but then I got to thinking - at least it was kept warm and cosy over the winter, rather than being unloved in a holding park somewhere.

Post #4913821st Mar 2006 10:44 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

err...... picked mine up in September as an 06MY (as verified by the 6A in the chassis number) and it was full '06 spec...

Post #4914221st Mar 2006 10:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >