Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

New tailgate handle assembly: connector doesn't match
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DVD

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
New tailgate handle assembly: connector doesn't match

Anybody run into this? My tailgate microswitch broke, so I went the route of replacing the entire tailgate handle assembly rather than trying to swap in a RR switch.

Quick and easy job to remove and replace the assembly, but when I got the last part -attaching the electrical connector - I found that the new connector doesn't fit. See photo.

None of the vendor sites made mention of model-year specific tailgate assemblies, so how to explain the literal disconnect??? I'm getting tired of giving the vehicle the 2-finger salute (lock+unlock) to open the upper rear hatch. I have a 2005 MY, but it's not super early.

Comparison of the new plug on the new assembly (left side, wider plug) and old plug (right side, narrower plug).

Post #200269421st Nov 2018 5:40 pm
DISCO3HSE2018

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I came across this recently as I changed my plastic D3 handle out for a colour coded D4 one. I just took the loom/wiring out of the old one!

Post #200269921st Nov 2018 5:52 pm
DISCO3HSE2018

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If I recall you should be able to do that also wirh your new micro switch but might mean a bit of cutting of wires.

Post #200270021st Nov 2018 5:54 pm
thorgal

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

You have purchased a LR4 handle instead of LR3.Common misleading description on Amazon vendors. I have purchased a microswitch assembly from one with false advertisement only to fine out that it came with that beefier connector. You can modify or look for direct fit. Lucky 8 sells a direct replacement for ?LR3. Good luck.

Post #200276621st Nov 2018 8:50 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have read on this forum that the connector pins can be taken out of the connector shell see https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/two-problems-174781.html so you transfer the pins to the original connector shell.

Post #200323423rd Nov 2018 12:59 pm
DVD

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

All's well that ends well.
I think the issue is that the new assembly is wired for a reverse camera (extra pins available) while the older MY vehicles connectors do not have the same configuration.
Here are the part numbers I searched for for the assembly: CXB000456PVJ and LR073594.
BTW, I did purchase from a major UK vendor. (They were approx the same price as cheapest US vendor and shipping is faster!)

I was a bit miffed because I went the more expensive route of buying the entire assembly rather than making do with the RR switch only, which requires some wiring work, because I wanted to plug and play and be on my way.

I ended up re-using the harness from my old assembly. The tailgate microswitch is hardwired into the assembly (no connector), so I had to snip the wires for the tailgate switch on the new assembly and then crimp/connect the 2 wires to the old assembly. Definitely less time and probably less effort than returning the entire assembly and trying to find an older version with 4-pin connector. See below for photo of the new assembly with old harness re-fitted. Installed and everything works fine!

Post #200333823rd Nov 2018 8:53 pm
Motty

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Afternoon, If you use a little flat blade screw driver, unlatch and pull out the white anti back out in the connector then you can unlatch each terminal one at a time and move it to the old connector you have already de pined.

Post #200461529th Nov 2018 2:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >