DISCO3.CO.UK > General

New tyres imminent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
New tyres imminent

Crying or Very sad I got home from Lowestoft this evening, with car not feeling right, and pulling to the right. Guess what? another puncture ,in the front RH tyre.

The rain stopped for just long enough for me to change the wheel, but the tread is very low on the punctured tyre. I think the tyre repair company may not want to fix it, because the inside edge is down really low.

Car has done 28000 now, I expected more to be honest. The rears are not far behind.

I have been in dispute with the dealer, because they want to charge me 135 pounds to check the alignment of the wheels, I reckon they should check it for nowt.

The old tyre has 4mm at the outside edge, 3mm in the middle, and 1 mm at the inside edge. A new tyre has about 9mm. As the legal limit is 1.6 mm, I think a new tyre will be needed.

Post #262174th Nov 2005 12:38 am
BN

England 
Re: New tyres imminent

Gareth wrote:
Crying or Very sad I got home from Lowestoft this evening, with car not feeling right, and pulling to the right. Guess what? another puncture ,in the front RH tyre.

The rain stopped for just long enough for me to change the wheel, but the tread is very low on the punctured tyre. I think the tyre repair company may not want to fix it, because the inside edge is down really low.

Car has done 28000 now, I expected more to be honest. The rears are not far behind.

I have been in dispute with the dealer, because they want to charge me 135 pounds to check the alignment of the wheels, I reckon they should check it for nowt.

The old tyre has 4mm at the outside edge, 3mm in the middle, and 1 mm at the inside edge. A new tyre has about 9mm. As the legal limit is 1.6 mm, I think a new tyre will be needed.

That is not a good mileage Gareth. Not that it helps, but I think the dealer should carry out the check under warranty and not charge.

Must say a journey from Chester to Lowestoft has to be one of the bum trips going Sad

Post #262594th Nov 2005 2:42 am
Pelyma

England 

About 10,000 more than my Freelander used to do Crying or Very sad
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #262614th Nov 2005 9:02 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: New tyres imminent

BN wrote:
Must say a journey from Chester to Lowestoft has to be one of the bum trips going Sad

Its not pleasant Crying or Very sad Stockport to Lowestoft, the sat nav gave me two basic options, Quickest was shown as Stockport - Chesterfield - Newark - Kings Lynn - Norwich - Lowestoft. 175 miles, 5 1/2 hrs. Normal was 250 miles, Stockport - M6 - M6 Toll - A 14 - Bury St Edmunds A143 - then I cant remember the rest as it was soooo dull.

I took the normal route even though it is 70 miles further, it is far quicker than the bl**dy A17 Wink

Post #262634th Nov 2005 9:07 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Gareth, all 4 tyres on our Dico 3 are also in need of replacement (showing exactly the same wear pattern as yours at only 23k miles). But what to buy to replace them. Ours are 18" and I guess yours will be 19" so we may have different options. We live in a very rural area (deepest Northumberland) at the top of a hill and the roads don't get treated around here for snow and ice for several days. So we are looking for a set of tyres which can give a bit more grip than the Wranglers but not to the extent that dry road performance is significantly compromised.

Have you yet researched the options ? I recall you mentioned Synchro's a while back which are unknown to me - what have they got going for them and what else have you considered ?

Thanks
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #262684th Nov 2005 9:24 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Smarticus wrote:
Gareth, all 4 tyres on our Dico 3 are also in need of replacement (showing exactly the same wear pattern as yours at only 23k miles). But what to buy to replace them. Ours are 18" and I guess yours will be 19" so we may have different options. We live in a very rural area (deepest Northumberland) at the top of a hill and the roads don't get treated around here for snow and ice for several days. So we are looking for a set of tyres which can give a bit more grip than the Wranglers but not to the extent that dry road performance is significantly compromised.

Have you yet researched the options ? I recall you mentioned Synchro's a while back which are unknown to me - what have they got going for them and what else have you considered ?

Thanks

I too will be very interested in the best rural tyres as mine will be nearly done soon at 27K

-s

Post #262714th Nov 2005 9:47 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well, you will all know next week, as I have ordered a set of 255/55/ 19" Michelin 4X4 Synchrone's. They will arrive late next week. The cost is £140 each + VAT and balancing at £6 per wheel.

Will keep you posted.

Post #263434th Nov 2005 9:10 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Good choice...........

Post #263464th Nov 2005 9:34 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had 17" Synchrones on my Freelander. Did 13000 miles and the tread was standing up well (approx 6mm left all round)
They were the standard tyres on the Freelander that I used on my LR Experience at Rockingham in deep mud this time last year and they did all that the Disco 2 and R Rover did.
Not sure about the noise factor though as the Freelander was very noisy, I know it is a different breed but tyre road noise was very noticable.
What make are the ones that are needing replacement? and are LR still using a mixture of Pirelli and Goodyear.
I have Pirelli on my 06 S

Post #263524th Nov 2005 9:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Looked them up, and they do seem to be a good balance between road use (which I know you do more than enought Gareth) but go some way towards off road as well. Should be OK for this year's Photo Shoot in the Snow to add to your last year's Gallery.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/auto/auto_produit_4x4_synchrone.jsp

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #263534th Nov 2005 9:46 pm
Ecosse

Michelins should be a good choice, they were running to over 40k miles on my TD5 Very Happy , although they were not as low profile as the D3 tyres Twisted Evil . There is however a wear rating code on the tyres, have you checked that to see ow it compares?

Post #263644th Nov 2005 10:30 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Coffeecup wrote:
Looked them up, and they do seem to be a good balance between road use (which I know you do more than enought Gareth) but go some way towards off road as well. Should be OK for this year's Photo Shoot in the Snow to add to your last year's Gallery.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/auto/auto_produit_4x4_synchrone.jsp

"Bring it on" Razz I can't wait to let you know if they are any good in the snow!

I had them on my D2, and they were good.

I currently have the 19" Goodyears, and they were great in the snow when they were new. They managed OK Wales last week, but I did get a lot of sideways slip on the slopes.

My main concern with the Goodyears is that they have gone very noisy in the last 5000 miles. There is a considerable angular step pattern worn into the edges of the tread, and this produces a droning sensation on smooth roads at low speeds.

Having had chance to inspect a tyre off the car yesterday, the tyre fitter (not Land Rover) and myself agreed that the uneven wear was not due to alignment faults, as there was very little scrubbing on the tyre. The uneven wear looks worse than it actually is. The fitter did point out that 255 is a very wide tyre, and a small difference in wear pattern looks a lot worse than it is. When you place the new spare next to the worn tyre it puts it into perspective. He also reckoned 28000 miles was not to bad for a heavy 4x4.

Post #263915th Nov 2005 8:57 am
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Shame that they don't appear to do them for 18" wheels

Post #264105th Nov 2005 6:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >