Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

New Van and need some advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mike_Hammond

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
New Van and need some advice

Picked up my 1st caravan today, it's a 2005 Elddis Avante 556, 6 berth single axle, 24ft long, very clean and just over 1100kgs unladen. The Disco towed it really easily and it sat very stable on the motorway so really happy with it, although the fuel gauge took a hit even on the short trip home Smile

I need to find some tow mirrors that'll fit, we're off to Stowford Farm in north devon next Thursday to christen it. I tried the elastic strap on things but straps were too short ! Is there a recommended one out there that suits the disco best ?

Also any general tips for storing and looking after a van in general, I've got the use of an open sided hay barn to store it so intend to buy a cover, take off the wheels and put it up on blocks over winter but any other things I should consider ?

Cheers, Mike

Post #114401014th Aug 2013 10:19 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: New Van and need some advice

Mike_Hammond wrote:

I need to find some tow mirrors that'll fit, we're off to Stowford Farm in north devon next Thursday to christen it. I tried the elastic strap on things but straps were too short ! Is there a recommended one out there that suits the disco best ?

Milenco grand aero Thumbs Up

Mike_Hammond wrote:

Also any general tips for storing and looking after a van in general, I've got the use of an open sided hay barn to store it so intend to buy a cover, take off the wheels and put it up on blocks over winter but any other things I should consider ?

Cheers, Mike

I don't take the wheels off.
Obviously make sure anything containing water is emptied and dried before winter.
Give the water tank a thorough cleaning before storing.
Oh and keep the nose weight over 100 kg when towing.

Happy camping!

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #114401614th Aug 2013 10:35 pm
Washwipe

England 

Milenco Grand Aero's, nothing else comes close. Also fit the Milenco V Pads and remove any polish on the mirror backs Thumbs Up ,

Check your insurance if you do take the wheels off, they usually insist on a wheel lock.
You could remove one wheel and fit a JSB Hublock, it has not been known to have one removed by unauthorised persons.

Last edited by Washwipe on 14th Aug 2013 10:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #114401814th Aug 2013 10:40 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I also use Milenco grand aeros, they do the job just fine.

Post #114401914th Aug 2013 10:41 pm
Mike_Hammond

Grand Aeros seems to be the winner then. Thanks gents, I'll get shopping Wink

Post #114402114th Aug 2013 10:44 pm
Washwipe

England 

Just be careful of putting to much weight on the nose, you've got a 100kg limit on that hitch.

Post #114402214th Aug 2013 10:46 pm
Mike_Hammond

Washwipe wrote:
Check your insurance if you do take the wheels off, they usually insist on a wheel lock. You could remove one wheel and fit a JSB Hublock, it has not been known to have one removed by unauthorised persons.

I was more thinking of keeping the tyres in good nick rather than security although removing them would make life more difficult for an opportunist ! Wink

Post #114402914th Aug 2013 11:04 pm
Beretta

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

but with removing the wheels the thief hasn't got the wheel clamp to worry about, my trailer insurance says that a wheel clamp must always be fitted (when left un-attended)

Post #114419215th Aug 2013 11:33 am
Mike_Hammond

I think the JSB hub lock linked to earlier in the thread would sort that out but I know what you're getting at.

I've not got the insurance sorted yet, that's next on the list ! more money to spend Sad

Post #114419515th Aug 2013 11:47 am
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I always jack up the caravan for the winter. ALKO used to recommend doing so as it "rested" the suspension. Insurance companies can be sticklers and mine still insists on wheel locks (mine fits on the brake drum and other security devices. I also deflate the tyres and store them in the dark. You have to consider any risks that might mean that the caravan needs to be moved. No wheels = no movement. Having said that some years ago a twin wheeler with all wheels removed was stolen about 10 miles from me.

Post #114426115th Aug 2013 3:04 pm
discoteca

Something else worth considering (particularly on a 2005 van) is the actual age of the tyres. Because most vans do not do many miles you will see vans with tyres that have loads of tread and look in good condition but are actually 10 years old or more. Caravan Club recommend changing tyres at 7 years old latest I think, regardless of how much tread or how good condition they look in (or how they have been stored).

All tyres should have a date of manufacture code on them. It will be a 4 digit number usually in an small embossed oval on the sidewall e.g. 2408 which means they were manufactured in week 24 of 2008.

I have just changed both tyres on my van even though they had 5mm tread and looked fine because the date code was 4806 (week 48 2006). They were the original tyres and had obviously been in stock somewhere for a while because the van was manufactured mid 2007. I.e. they were already over 6 months old when I purchased the van new. Shocked

Annoyingly the date code on mine was on the inside rim of the tyre not the outside so had to get under the van with a torch to find it.

I got new tyres for about £65 each. Very small price to pay in my opinion to minimise the risk of a van blow out at speed on the motorway - not something I would wish on any tintenter.

Post #114426815th Aug 2013 3:35 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I thought the recommendation was to change tyres every 5 years and never let them go over 7.

I recall hearing/reading somewhere that the 5 year rule for ALL tyres was to become law soon.

Perhaps AJS4x4 or someone with insider tyre knowledge can confirm ?
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #114427015th Aug 2013 3:53 pm
discoteca

Not sure whether it is 5 or 7 Dunc, but one thing I am sure of is that there are a lot of vans out there with tyres on that will be much older. Some peeps just don't think that it is important Shocked

Post #114427115th Aug 2013 4:00 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Washwipe wrote:
Milenco Grand Aero's, nothing else comes close. Also fit the Milenco V Pads and remove any polish on the mirror backs Thumbs Up ,

Do the V Pads make a difference? I've used the standard fastenings on the Grand Aeros for a few years now without a problem, but if they can be improved............. What do they do?

Post #114427515th Aug 2013 4:10 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

discoteca wrote:
Not sure whether it is 5 or 7 Dunc, but one thing I am sure of is that there are a lot of vans out there with tyres on that will be much older. Some peeps just don't think that it is important Shocked

If this is of interest: the German 'tempo 100' approval will allow you to drive 100 kph in Germany, but tyres must not exceed 5 years of age.

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #114435315th Aug 2013 8:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >