Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

New windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

The main difference is that the pilkington opticool glass is produced to reduce internal heat build up by upto 20% less than non oem glass on a bus as big as the disco especially the hse with glass roof this is a considerable reduction in the heat build up inside the car on a sunny day

Post #147600919th May 2015 6:18 pm
Adimac

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Autoglass - best avoided

Can I join in! About 6 weeks ago visiting new grandchild in London, noticed that windscreen had a T shaped crack about two feet long. Phoned aviva and was put in touch with autoglass...3 weeks. Pointed out this was a BIG crack and I had 800km return journey....got my insurance broker to lean on them (multiple discos involved) ...nothing. So back to the borders and a short two week wait. I phoned autoglass to ensure the pilkington screen at least...absolutely, that what we fit they said...they lied. Will make sure if it's in my control that we will avoid autoglass like the plague. Worst experience of any company on any topic.

Post #147609019th May 2015 8:08 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a non OEM screen fitted expertly by Autoglass on my drive. The service and fitting were excellent and so is the screen.

I spend most of the summer in the Dordogne were it is very hot. I have not noticed any difference between my non OEM screen and the OEM screen in my sister's HSE which I also drive in France.

Personally I wouldn't worry.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #147616519th May 2015 10:01 pm
Captain Slog

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Just to redress the balance - had the screen replaced by Autoglass at home about 6 months ago, very efficient, very pleasant and Optikool used (without my stipulating in advance) because 'it's what we always fit to these!' Thumbs Up
 2010 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand on GY DTs (was on GG ATs)  
Post #147626120th May 2015 7:38 am
P1DNC

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Agreeing with Moo and Captain Slog .....

I had the front screen replaced on my drive last October...Autoglass turned up as promised... did a great job , and gave me a 12 month warranty on the new screen...

Also had the A pillar cover's and brackets supplied and fiited free with the new screen

Excellent Job by Autoglass !!!! Thumbs Up

Post #147638320th May 2015 2:03 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I started trying to get the glass replaced on my 14my a month ago. Still not done! However Elephant were very quick to agree to LR glass, however Autoglass are being a pain to get it fitted. Now booked for June 6th.

The last glass (when I bought the car ex demo) was non land rover glass, and the rain sensors wouldnt work, and no humidity detector on the screen. Once glass replaced it all worked fine.

I actually dont hold out much faith that they will arrive with the correct glass. They were meant to do it last friday but didn't have the clips...
 TDV6 HSE Lux (2014MY)
TDV6 HSE (2006MY - owned for 9 years and 150,000! - now replaced)
Mini Cooper SD 5 door
TVR Chimaera 450
Series II 1960 Diesel 

Post #147664520th May 2015 11:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fisherman

Wales 

I spoke to Auto Glass who were meant to have called me last Tuesday to see what was happening and was told they had to get authority from the insurance company to supply a LR screen. He went on to say that I wasn't entitled to one if I checked the wording of my insurance policy. He also said that Allianz had taken 11 days to authorise the replacement with a LR screen. I did ask why if I wasn't entitled was I getting one anyway and he told me that Allianz didn't want confrontation with their customers. I now have to wait because Allianz didn't come through with the authority until Friday last week. I asked why I didn't get a call to tell me what was happening and he said we had nothing to tell you!
They just miss customer service by a mile bless em!
Suffice to say I'm told I'm getting a LR screen but have to wait for them to get it. I told them the local dealership has a 24 hr supply if required. I won't hold my breath.
Censored
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #14816441st Jun 2015 2:41 pm
fisherman

Wales 

So today was the day that Autoglass were to fit my LR branded screen.
Of course they arrived with a Chinese glass instead and were sent packing with a flea in their ear. Not the installers fault, I know and it wasn't his ear which got the flea. I'm now 5 weeks down the road and have no idea whats happening next. Autoglass have authorisation from my insurance company to supply factory glass yet still attempted to fit a FUJIAN YANHUA windscreen from China. That seems wrong doesn't it, or even fraudulent?
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!

Post #149167323rd Jun 2015 10:04 am
fisherman

Wales 

So having been Censored around by Autoglass for almost 6 weeks the straw that broke the camels back was that no one called me to sort anything out. I called them and they didn't know the number to their own head office Rolling Eyes (yeah right!). They gave me the number for customer services though (At head office???).
Then I received a call from the guy I'd just spoken to who said "if you look at the number I'm calling you from, you'll se it's my private mobile and I'm doing this because I respect you so much. I suggest you call your insurers and ask them to get another supplier to get your screen because it's going to be weeks and weeks before you get one from us". It was a very amateur attempt to get me to go elsewhere and not supply the correct screen. I spoke to my insurers and Autoglass who denied the guy had been put up to it. In the end I'm getting a screen from my local dealership for £466.35 + Vat and getting it fitted by a local independent company. The cost of which is being charged to Autoglass' account.
Nice one, should all be done by Monday. Thumbs Up

Post #149314026th Jun 2015 4:17 pm
D4commercialsdv6

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Auto glass non oem 5hrs onsite to fit is this a record?

Been reading the ongoing Autoglass saga with interest as after just shy of a month Autoglass fitted a new screen yesterday. Had hoped to be at home when they came but work dictated otherwise, swmbo was there and after a mere 5 hours the task was complete, seems to be a Chinese special just need to check it out now for auto wipers/lights functioning and that trims don't fly off at speed. Only need to reposition the smart witness which is now more or less in the line of sight, do these people know about discreet? They took it off so ought to know where it came from but then maybe 5 hours of brain fade or boredom, may even have known about watchdog report to come that evening. Hope not to have to use them again!
 Commercial SDV6 8 Speed 255
Audio upgrade
Bright pack
Convenience pack
Timed climate
Surround cameras
Xenon light Upgrade
Smart Witness Camera
Black grill & vents
Sidesteps 

Post #149334426th Jun 2015 9:56 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Finally just had Autoglass fit my windscreen. Taken since April to get it done, after four missed appointments, two damaged pieces of glass so appointments cancelled on the morning etc.

But the fitter turned up this morning with the right glass (LR branded), new trims for the side and has taken 1 hr 45 to swap it over. Have to say that he appears to have done a very good job, very professional.

Said the last screen was fitted by idiots with poor workmanship (see my thread http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic120948.html). That was the screen fitted by Marshalls LandRover in Leicester (or at least their fitters) after they put a non OEM screen in the demo car I purchased. The fitters had used mastic to stick the trim onto the A pillar as they broke the clips (noticed it was hanging off recently).

Anyway, apart from the delay, dont be afraid of a good Autoglass fitter on your driveway. Elephant also paid for the LandRover branded glass. Thumbs Up
 TDV6 HSE Lux (2014MY)
TDV6 HSE (2006MY - owned for 9 years and 150,000! - now replaced)
Mini Cooper SD 5 door
TVR Chimaera 450
Series II 1960 Diesel 

Post #14953551st Jul 2015 10:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FenRob

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

My screen was replaced this morning after cracking last week following a stone chip.

I was pleasantly surprised with Autoglass. Initially they were vague on the phone as to what glass would be supplied, but the guy turned up with OEM-spec Pilkington Optikool (with the Pilkington logo in place of the Land Rover logo, but otherwise identical). Was correct for MY14, and he also had new A-pillar trims and clips.

He took the best part of two hours to do the job, and was careful in the process.

All in all a good experience - despite my £125 excess!

Post #152007625th Aug 2015 7:26 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I picked my son up from the station last night and he pointed out that I had a foot long crack in front of the passenger in my windscreen. Called Admiral Insurance who put me straight through to Autoglas!!!!
I explained what had happened and was told they would despatch a windscreen asap. I did the non Chinese speech and they assured me it would be a Pilkington glass. I said I would accept a Pilkington glass but not a Chinese copy. I received a call today from Autoglas who said that Admiral had not authorised a OEM glass so it would be a Non Dealer windscreen. I hope you noticed the use of Non Dealer as opposed to Pilkington. I took the details of the person they had spoken to at Admiral and called them. I didn't get the same person but spoke to a nice young lady who said Autoglas had a contract in place to supply a Non Dealer screen to cars over three years old. I asked why they used the three year deadline for replacement. She couldn't tell me. What she did say was any parts fitted to my car would now be patent parts or recycled and not OEM! This isn't right surely???
I checked the online paperwork and no mention was made but did find a document referring to their car insurance guide. Once I found that tucked away on their website I found this paragraph to support their actions.

If your car is three years old or more, we may decide to repair it with recycled parts, or with parts which
have not been made by the car’s manufacturer, but are of a similar standard depending on availability.

I am raging that they can hide such a clause in the website, it wasn't information sent to me or in my list of paperwork.
So now I have a fight on my hands for the next god knows how long before my screen is replaced.

Post #17730722nd Feb 2017 5:32 pm
fisherman

Wales 

Update.
I get a call from the manager at Admiral after lodging a complaint and am told categorically that the screen will be a Pilkington glass. I'm asked to arrange the fitting. I call Autoglas and speak to a nice guy and I explain what has happened. He said I should hold so he can call the fitting depot to ensure they have the Pilkington glass. A few minutes later I get a him back saying they only supply Korean and Chinese glass. He was told they don't supply anything else. I told him I would speak to my insurance company. I did get the offer to pay the £75 excess and a further £518 for an OE glass, which they claim is the difference. My last Screen which I paid for and was then reimbursed for came to £563. Does this mean the screen they want to fit costs £65?
Anyhow, next step is back to the insurers.

Post #17743025th Feb 2017 8:38 am
Washwipe

England 

Tell Admiral that your having problems with Autoglass and can they arrange another supplier, they did with mine, National Windscreens came, at the second attempt with a Pilkington screen, but watch them, they did not fit the finishers correctly and they parted company a few days later.

Post #17743715th Feb 2017 11:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >