Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

New York. Travel Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
New York. Travel Advice

I'm Treating Mrs. Shrinky to a weekend away in a couple of weeks time without our kids. We have never been to New York so any advice anyone has on where to go sightseeing/eating etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Only problem is we are flying Air India Shocked
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #29020722nd Apr 2008 9:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

The joys of a dirty weekend in NY!!! Hopefully you'll not see much of the city. Whistle Whistle

Post #29021622nd Apr 2008 9:31 pm
Shrinky

Hopefully, but it would be good to see some of NY Very Happy
Post #29023322nd Apr 2008 9:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Going to NY in July for first time too so would also appreciate things to do (though it doesn't look like there'll be a shortage) Thumbs Up
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #29023722nd Apr 2008 9:56 pm
stevemac

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

This is what we've enjoyed ....

Top of the Rock (Rockerfeller Tower) and/or the Empire State - go up in daylight, stay till after dark. The rock is best if you only do one.

Battery Park, Staten Island Ferry (do this at night to get the view of Manhatten as you return) - and its free!
Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty - good traditional tourist. Get the audio guide, well worth it.

Times Square - go to the TKTS ticket booth to get half price theatre tickets for Broadway. Get there early. When you've got the tickets, go into Roxy's deli (you can't miss it, opposite the TKTS) for a pastrami on rye with dill pickle - awsome and enough for the whole day. If you follow it with New York cheesecake, that will do you for the trip!

For a real meal of steak try Smith & Wollensky steakhouse. Very traditional, great (huge) steak, not cheap though.

Breakfasts - try a selection of whats on offer in any of the hundreds of delis or bars, more than I could eat (and I can eat!).

For shopping try Century 21 (opposite Ground Zero) for discount designer clothes and shoes. About half price for named brands. Ground Zero is very moving, and if you're an emergency service worker you can get onto the site to the emergency services memorial.

Macy's is good for shopping, go to the visitor centre before you shop with a passport and get a 12% discount card. Bloomingdales is good to look, not cheap. Designer ships in 5th Ave etc are good value - Gant Double Decker jacket half UK price ISTR.

Central Park (Guggenheime near here if you're into Art, as is the Met) good for a stroll. Walking through Chinatown, Little Italy, the Village all great for the experience, and to find a restaurant - and you'll feel safer than you do in London walking around late.

Look out for the 'flatiron building', and if you're there on a Sunday morning join the 100's of other New Yorkers walking across the Brooklyn Bridge - on a sunny morning its a wonderefull way to get the feel of New York and meet real New Yorkers.

Cabs are cheap but the cab drivers haven't a clue where to go.

New York is an experience .... we go every couple of years and thoroughly enjoy it. If you work on it you'll be able to fit all of the above in on a three day trip

Have a good time.
 D3 HSE MY09, auto, Santorini Black, Black leather, Black windows ... black IS the colour ...
Golf Mk6 GT TSi, Red - supercharger and turbo - the pocket rocket!
Gone but not forgotten:-
D3 XS MY08, manual, Java Black, black leather
1999 TD5 XS auto Oxford blue
1994 300Tdi auto Niagra grey

Life is a voyage of Discovery ... now where did I put the map and compass! 

Post #29027422nd Apr 2008 10:32 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

We ordered tickets on line for the Circle Line Cruise... Didn't have to queue as long when we got there and the cruise was a relaxing way to find out New York stuff! Also, if you have the time, try to go up the Empire State both during the day and during the night. Both views are impressive. Smile

ps Please bring me back an 'I love NY mug'. I smashed mine a few weeks ago. Sad
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #29027722nd Apr 2008 10:34 pm
MacGuruTX

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

Nice list by Stevemac.

TKTS is definitely the place for decent broadway tickets, inventory changes daily.

What kind of things are you and Ms.Shrinky normally in to? Museums? Art? Shopping? etc??

New York is absolutely overwhelming with things to do. You can spend a week within walking distance of Broadway Ave/Times Square.

Post #29029222nd Apr 2008 10:49 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 
Re: New York. Travel Advice

Shrinky wrote:
I'm Treating Mrs. Shrinky to a weekend away in a couple of weeks time without our kids.

Is that your enforced penance for joining us for lunch a few weeks ago when you should have been with her at the hospital?

Shocked Laughing

Post #29029422nd Apr 2008 10:53 pm
Shrinky

Thanks everyone for all the great info. We are staying in Times Square and I think the main things as a first trip are sightseeing, eating out and for Mrs. Shrinky.....Shopping Big Cry I hate it.
Post #29029922nd Apr 2008 10:57 pm
Shrinky

Re: New York. Travel Advice

Guy wrote:
Shrinky wrote:
I'm Treating Mrs. Shrinky to a weekend away in a couple of weeks time without our kids.

Is that your enforced penance for joining us for lunch a few weeks ago when you should have been with her at the hospital?

Shocked Laughing

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Your not wrong. That is taking a lot of paying off Thumbs Up
Post #29030022nd Apr 2008 10:59 pm
MacGuruTX

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

Ahh yes, you'll be right in the middle of it.

Numbered streets run East West
Numbered Aves run North South.
So remember what intersection you're hotel is at, and you can always find your way back home.
Time Square is essentially 42nd St/7th Ave.

Head East to 5th ave, then turn Left.
This is where you want to take possesion of the Credit Cards, particularly if you're already in trouble!
All the high end shopping and the big department stores, most of the "official" brand stores as well.

Be prepared for lots of walking so bring comfortable shoes. You can find lots to do within walking distance of your hotel, so you don't need to use the subways if you don't want to.
I personally haven't had any problems with Cabs knowing where I want to go.

I highly recommend trying to see Blue Man Group if you have the opportunity. Their theatre isn't in the Broadway district but is farther south towards Wall Street. I"d take a cab from Times Square.

Time Square is pretty much alive 24hrs a day. Lots of people, lots of tourists.

Post #29035523rd Apr 2008 3:19 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Soo much to do, so little time.....

like most cities, dont try see everything or you'll be f Censored d gettin back on the plane.

Shopping in NYC can be manic - Macys is nice to see - and the tip about going to the reception to get the tax thingy is worth doing - but it can be hectic in there too so try and avoid the maddening crowds. Century21 is grand but in the states alot of the clothes in these bargain places are fairly s Censored te..........you get what you pay for!!!!

Personnally, places like Greenwich Village are better to stroll around, cafes/ arty shops/ cool clothes & great atmosphere...swmbo will dish out the brownie points if u bring here. ALso, stroll over to Vandam Street to see where Kinky Friedman lives Thumbs Up

If you're going to Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island get to Battery Park for 6am or else the queues are too long to be standing about - if you like waiting around then go for it!
Visit that little church besides the WTC site - well worth a visit - the scale of the whole incident really hits home when you go into this place - moving. When you come out of the front of the church, across the street to your right about 100 yards is an excellent deli - get place to fuel up.

The empire state has huge queues to get to the top unless you go very early or late in the day - Rockerfeller is the better option as less crowds and you get to see the empire state in all its glory - better view over central park too.

For the real shopper there is a place called Woodbury Common which is this huge mall outside of NYC - look it up - you can get shuttle buses and all sorts out to it - well worth a visit if you have a day & loads of cash to spare.

If you're intend bringing back pressies for the little ones then head to FAO Schwartz at the top of 5th Ave and Central Park - its where the big floor piano is from the movie BIG.....amazing store.

Newyorkers are cool people and always willing to help so ask around when you get there - and dont forget to tip atleast 10-15% in restaurants.........they tend not to be that nice if you dont!!!!!

Enjoy

Post #29046423rd Apr 2008 11:06 am
Shrinky

Thanks to everyone for the advice Thumbs Up I think we did all that we could in 3 days.

stevemac.....some great advice there. We ate in Smith and Wollensky one night and it was 8) I know you said it was expensive but $600 for 4 Shocked (we met 2 New Yorker friends and I paid the bill) but it was excellent.

I think we probably went everywhere you all said to go.........so thanks again Thumbs Up

AVE.....Enjoy the mug Thumbs Up
Post #29983216th May 2008 10:45 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

<<<<<<<< thanks Thumbs Up
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #29983716th May 2008 10:55 pm
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

If that's your Mrs. sat in front of your D3, I'm surprised you got to the airport Shocked
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #29984116th May 2008 11:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >