DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Newbie retro-fit question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

No worries rockpaperscissors, happy to help Thumbs Up

When you do the cutting out in your bumper skin, you will see the two little extra notches are required to be cut which key / orient the Bezel in. I used a hole cutter and then a small round chain saw sharpening type file to do mine.

Click image to enlarge

Be sure to get the right bezel in the right location first time as they also orient the sensors and are a sod to get back out and also to get the sensors out of the bezel without breaking them.

Also note that the two inner ones are color coded to the body, while the two outer ones are left Matt black. well they were on mine anyway. Check several times and assemble once Whistle

I actually put a 3 inch square of thin clear plastic over the hole on the outside with a matching cut out and a slit to aid later removal, before inserting the bezel. Thus later after everything was fitted and tested, i only had to mask to the plastic and got a nice clean edge on the painted bezel when it was removed. The design of the bezels barb, means it automatically takes up the thickness of the plastic.

D3 Bev
Cutting the holes for the Fog lights was a bit more challenging, as you can't use files most of the time due to the second layer inside the outer skin which supports the Fog lamps overhanging where you need to cut to.

Click image to enlarge

Ideally you need to tool up with some form of die grinder with a cutting burr on it. Thumbs Up
Its also hard working from the side which does not have the cut to lines shown, in the end, after cutting out the main bit, when dressing back to the line, i used a small mirror to help.

Also note that there is an orientation notch for these too.

Naturally in all cutting exercises, i used a few layers of thick masking tape on the outside so as to not damage the paint job of the bumper if i happened to slip.

Best of luck guys Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #79880720th May 2011 5:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bev

Scotland 

thanks for the picturs BBS SPY. Did not realise there were cutting guides inside the bumper.Certainly made the job a bit easier today. No problems getting the bumper off and I bought a dremmel type tool of eaby for £20 during the week and it made short work of the holes.

Just cross drilled the main area and ground it back to the cut lines. Plugged it all in and it worked straight away. I now have a spare harness for the parking sensors as well thanks to me needing the full loom for the lights...

Had the car three weeks and so far fitted steering wheel switches, bluetooth parrott kit and fog lights.

Whats next !!! just need to find a set of intsructions on here and we are off again....

Post #79904121st May 2011 7:38 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

No worries D3 Bev

Happy to be of some help, Thumbs Up

Yea, once you get into it and cutting away, the jobs done before you know it Laughing

Congratulations on your achievements thus far and i commend you on your "whats next" approach

But don't let the mod bug bite you too hard, as it can get really serious.

Follow my previous link and those it links to, as examples of how bad it can get Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #79927122nd May 2011 7:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rockpaperscissors

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
fogs

Good skills D3 Bev, you certainly dont hang about Smile

I havnt managed to purchase my parts yet. Ive had a nightmare of a weekend with a house renovation so just couldnt find the time, I have been in contact with TLO though and will try and get around to ordering them on my next set of rest days.

Mods to come are:

Steering controls
Window Tints
BiiiiiiiiG wheels
folding mirrors
headrest TV's

All at once would be lovely but my pockets dont go that deep Big Cry

Post #79971324th May 2011 12:19 am
Bev

Scotland 

window tints next for me - got the car booked in for monday Thumbs Up the folding mirrors would be nice - anyone know what parts I need to enable that? Also the auto headlight switch was supplied by Nick to get the fogs to work. Anyone know what effort / parts are required to enable this function?

Other that these the list is pretty much the same as yours RPS....

Post #79985324th May 2011 3:28 pm
GSLRO

England 

Auto headlights: you need the sensor that is part of the interior mirror (also includes rain sensor for wipers) if I'm not mistaken. To much of a job for the flick of a switch IMHO!
 Club N.E.R.D.s  
Post #79991324th May 2011 7:12 pm
Rockpaperscissors

fogs

Ds Bev what percentage of tint u going for, I was thinking limo black on the 3 rear windows, 60% on the 2 rear passenger ones and a very slight tint on the front. I want it fairly dark in the back so the sunlight doesnt glare on the headrest tvs.

The folding mirror switch was on ebay eBay Item No. 160502524600 £14 if I remember correctly if that helps? im assuming you would have to buy the mirrors with the folding motors in them but the electric is already there so it might be a case of plug n play...if anybody has knowledge of this correct me if im wrong.... Thumbs Up

Ill have to start getting some pics up soon of IMHO the best vehicle on the road Mr. Green Thumbs Up

NJG

Post #79997124th May 2011 9:02 pm
Bev

Scotland 

Going for the same tint grade from the B pillar back. Either limo or dark tint as I want to keep in legal. The guy is bringing some samples so I can see it in place. Will post up some pictures once its done on Monday.

Will ask TLO about prices for power mirrors and auto lights.

Post #79998224th May 2011 9:22 pm
Rockpaperscissors

tints

I can see this mod list becoming endless Laughing

Post #80002924th May 2011 10:41 pm
magnatizerr

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

daveyd wrote:
Before you go buying the loom, make sure you have the connectors for the fogs - I have a 08 Disco3 and made the schoolboy error of buying the loom and then finding out that post 08 D3s either come factory fitted or not at all Rolling Eyes

Thankfully, my local Indy (Adigorn on the forum here) fitted them and wired the all up bespoke style, and you honestly wouldn't know he was near the Disco, have the new switch in the cabin for the fogs and everything - top job altogether Thumbs Up

Hi daveyd

I've gone and done the same schoolboy error!! - bought fogs etc before i checked that i had a connector behind headlamp! I've got a 57 reg GS so thought I would be ok.

Can you let me know how much of a job was it to knit the new fogs into the cars electrics? - I doubt I'll be doing it myself, but just wanted some sort of bench mark for my local indy(ish). (Guava - guildford)

cheers

Post #80211731st May 2011 4:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >