Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Newspaper article
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Having worked in 'the Green place' quite extensively in the past I agree our roads are blooming brilliant compared with yours! Still a wonderful country though and the roads just help to justify the need for a 4x4 Very Happy

Post #4927322nd Mar 2006 11:47 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Pete C wrote:
Just typical of the loony left yogurt knitting, pipe smoking, sandal & corduroy trouser wearing PC brigade !!!!

Oy! Leave off the corduroys and sandals! Very comfortable indeed, especially in a D3.

[Disclaimer - I've not tried yoghurt knitting so cannot comment. Sounds like one to try after a few bevvies]
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #4928922nd Mar 2006 12:33 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

blue meanie wrote:
why don't they jusy scrap the VED and just stick it on fuel anyway? that way they would catch all the scroats that don't buy car tax?

Same reason as why they don't scrap income tax and stick it on VAT.

1. we'd go and buy stuff abroad (alright more difficult to do with fuel, although there was an article in Sunday Times about motorists getting canisters of diesel off foreign lorry drivers)
2. they can't be ar@sed
3. they would be automatically accused of putting up taxes
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #4929122nd Mar 2006 12:37 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

from http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jsp...0322115025

Purchase tax of £5k on 4 x 4s. 95% of this money to be diverted to special programmes to counteract emissions, the other 5% to re-education programmes for 4 x 4 drivers to teach them that if they drove better in the first place they wouldn't need a big car to feel safe in. Farmers and those in extreme rural situations to be exempt.

Becky Wears"

What special programmes are those then eh? Rolling Eyes gas - grovel - slow? Laughing Laughing
wonder if she's heard of the Oregon Petition? probably not...

Post #4929322nd Mar 2006 12:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

from the same source....
Even the 4x4 haters are seeing sense Shocked

"I detest 4x4 vehicles because of the type of people that drive them, but I find myself supporting them as they're becoming an environmental scapegoat. The impact of transport is negligable. It's scaremongery used as reasons to tax. Having a "gas guzzing tax" is ridiculous as many use more fuel which is already taxed. Plus, £40 a year for tax on a vehicle which cost £40k+ is laughable, a cynical ploy by the government to keep the greens happy whilst increasing revenue, they don't care that loads of people drive 4x4s and neither should any of us. FYI, I don't drive a 4x4, I drive a 2 seater & a motorcycle and the 4x4 thing makes me think what is the next scapegoat?

David Hogg, Hemel Hempstead"

Post #4930122nd Mar 2006 1:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

and dont forget we are actually taxed twice on everything we buy including fuel, firstly by income tax on the money we earn, then VAT & fuel duty.
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #4930522nd Mar 2006 1:17 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Forget Astons, Ferrari's etc. Since my HSV was written off in Dec.05 I've been mainly driving our Saab 9-5 Aero estate. Now this car comes across as the type of vehicle that would not infuriate the "Greens". Indeed, never has anyone commented about the enviromental impact of driving the Saab. It seems to have a very "neutral" image all round.
Our Saab is an 04 model, not the lastest chrome eyed model. I have just checked the Saab UK website, the current model is 4841mm long.
Having not been on a long motorway journey for a while, the current average fuel consumption of our Saab is 25.1mpg.
According to the L/R website the D3 is 4835mm in length, therefore 6mm shorter than the 9-5 estate!
Of course the D3 is higher (so what!) & wider, but has similar or even better mpg than the Saab.
When mentioning that I intend to buy a D3, I've had several negative comments, including "oh, one of those killing machines"!!!!!
Idiots, a great many cars not just large ones either,a friend struggles to average 22mpg in his Mini Cooper S Works, are as bad or worse as the average new breed of Diesel 4x4's when it comes to fuel consumption. It would appear that much of the data the anti's use is from US SUV's, which is of course not relevant in the U.K market.
Another example of fools not understanding (or wanting to understand) the whole issue & demanding a ban. Look how effective banning the use of hand guns etc. has been on gun related crime in the U.K.
More foxes have been killed since hunting was banned.
When will they learn?

Post #4931122nd Mar 2006 1:28 pm
nobbyclark

I pointed out to my missus recently that our D3 gets better MPG than our MCS, especially as the latter is used mostly around town.

Instead of ranting on this board, good though it is for your spleens, send a letter to The Times. Get YOUR opinions published to counter those of the very vocal minority who are good at making their ill-founded opinions heard.

Just because an article is printed in a paper, it doesn't make it true or the law...unless the government think they can win a few votes out of it.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #4939022nd Mar 2006 5:39 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have emailed the Alliance Against Urban 4X4's & BRAKE, no reply from either! Should mail The Times though you are right.

Post #4939622nd Mar 2006 6:05 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I agree, our Mini CS is averaging 21mpg, but will not be in the higher tax bracket Confused How do they work that out! My D3 is doing 24, and is rated at 275, Mini Cooper S is 202

Post #4949922nd Mar 2006 11:41 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

He commits a few individuals to spend about £35 more a year, raises sweet FA in terms of tax revenue, fascinates the papers for a couple of days and draws attention away from not a lot - clever man
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #4950622nd Mar 2006 11:48 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

adam wrote:
He commits a few individuals to spend about £35 more a year, raises sweet FA in terms of tax revenue, fascinates the papers for a couple of days and draws attention away from not a lot - clever man

Well draws them away from all the undisclosed loans dilemma for a start Wink

And yeah... so its CO2 they are targeting not MPG... should be a combination of both. I think 30MPG is very good especially when compared to many petrol exec saloons.

Sorry G not digging at your mini Wink

Post #4951723rd Mar 2006 12:19 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Don't worry! dig away, its an environmental disaster Wink

But it is slightly amusing when you put your foot down!

Post #4952223rd Mar 2006 12:34 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The supercharger is highly addictive - shame mine hasn't got one Crying or Very sad
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #4952623rd Mar 2006 12:40 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Its going to the dealer next week, for a new instument cluster, Thanks again Martin Wink Font of all knowledge.

Post #4952923rd Mar 2006 12:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >