Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

NFU
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
soundsolutions

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
NFU

After my 3rd year at requesting a quote, & not receiving any form of contact with the NFU, I decided to leave them an email of complaint.
Surprisingly, I received a phone call around lunch time from the area manager in Telford. He was very apologetic & promised to get my local branch, Macclesfield, to phone me straight back.
Three or so hours later, I received a very dodgy (Crackly & fading, a bit like an early radio phone) phone call from the Macclesfield branch.
After about the third or fourth time of asking for the conversation to be repeated, due to breaking up, fading, talking like a dalek etc, I was told they had never received any of my quote requests, even though I read back the email response from their office.
The lady was very apologetic, & said she valued my business, now what was it I wanted?
Car insurance please.
“We don’t cover your area!”
How do you mean? I’m in Stockport, SK postcode, Your in Macclesfield, SK postcode, explain.
“We don’t have any business there, so don’t want yours!”

To which I politely explained, that judging on the way they had handled my insurance so far, I wouldn’t be going with them anyway, as should I ever need to claim, it would be easier to raise the Titanic than get any action or cooperation out of the NFU!

My next call was back to the “Area manager”, who didn’t actually seem phased by the response, or indeed that my business would be going elsewhere!

I know a lot of you have NFU insurance, & have raved about it, hence why I have tried to get a quote for the last 3 years. It may just be down to my postcode, but then, why have an office in an area you won’t insure? It could just be a one off, & a very bad agent, but then again, the manager wasn’t much more help! Just beware should you need to claim!

This on top of my own insurance wanting to add £134 to my premium due to a SP30, not Drink Driving, A mere SP30! Big Cry
 The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.  
Post #7561323rd Feb 2011 6:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

If you live in Stockport itself, they won't cover you, because bad things happen in them there cities, at least that's why they won't do London.

It is a farming mutual after all...

Post #7561343rd Feb 2011 6:34 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Have you called the NFU Direct number rather than going via a local branch?

I always use this route and have found their customer service to be about the best in the business, which is one of the reasons I insure my 2 Disco's with them.

NFU Direct 0800 072 0168
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #7561473rd Feb 2011 7:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Erm I beg to differ Confused

I live in SK7, and am insured through the Macclesfield office. I have been for 5 years now. There is a woman there who is certainly difficult to deal with. I speak with Michelle O'Shea, who I have found helpful.

Post #7562653rd Feb 2011 11:26 pm
icestationzebra

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You may not want to have a quote from NFU, I have just had a renewal quote after 3 years with them and small incremental rises each year which I thought was OK given the level of service they were/are supposed to provide if anything does go wrong. This years quote was £230 more than last year with no changes or claims on the policy, when I rang up to ask why I was told 'they have a new software package' for the premium calculations.

I have tried 3 other providers online and they all come out cheaper than LAST years premium, I know I will have to probably change every year now but when you are talking this kind of increase then its a no brainer.

Post #7562904th Feb 2011 12:09 am
soundsolutions

ZacSmith wrote:

It is a farming mutual after all...

icestationzebra wrote:
'they have a new software package' for the premium calculations.

Ah, now it all adds up, as eventually I was told they had a new computer system that would only insure rural area's!
 The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.  
Post #7563334th Feb 2011 10:16 am
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

P

Well perhaps the "Sound Solution" would be to use an Insurance Broker !!

Could say "I told you so"

How about back to plan B and make that call to Mr Bell with your "best alternative quote"?

B

Post #7564214th Feb 2011 2:01 pm
nelly13

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have just had the same problem as Icestationzebra- I have just had my renewal through after four years with NFU and have found they have put up my policy by £460 Shocked
I have had no claims or changes to the policy in all this time and suddenly it shoots up, when I rang them, they said it was due to a rise in the insurance tax! Question
Not really very happy, But as I use it for my business and have two trailers on the policy, I can't find anyone else who is alot cheaper Big Cry
On the other hand, I have always had great service from them and they paid up for a stolen trailer and it didn't affect my no claims discount or policy price! Very Happy

Post #7566114th Feb 2011 7:00 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

They dropped mine back down when they asked if they could quote for house insurance...
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #7566474th Feb 2011 7:43 pm
Pelyma

England 

They have my buildings and contents, trailer and horse insurance and still wanted £881 for full no claims and clean licence Big Cry
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #7566534th Feb 2011 7:48 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Paul,
I feel equally violated - £775 for D3 & horse trailer, up almost 20%. Suffice to say, drop expectations of insurers' service levels and the meerkats are saying £350 for the D3 alone.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #7566604th Feb 2011 7:55 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

NFU dropped their initial renewal pitch to me last November, I phoned and told them I would go elsewhere, they then reduced it by a substantial amount. Still paying over 600 though.

Post #7566714th Feb 2011 8:10 pm
Bogblaster

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I pay £481 for fully comp on my D4 HSE I'm 43 and the wife is 35. They were initially alot more but I pointed out that LR insurance were quoting me £481 and they matched it.

All their offices are basically franchises, they refer to them as Group Secrataries, get a good one and you're sorted.

BB
 D4 HSE Luxury SDV6,
Cameras, tow assist
Defender 90 Adventure
A4 Avant 3.0l TDI Twisted Evil
CLUB MTR
CLUB BLACK ALLOY
CLUB FFRR RIMS
CLUB VREDESTEIN WINTRAC 4 EXTREME 

Post #7567054th Feb 2011 8:46 pm
soundsolutions

Brian,

Thanks for all your advise the other day, Thumbs Up
"Plan B" is in the bag, just giving them a couple of days to think about it. I've got til next Sunday after all.

Phil
Post #7568275th Feb 2011 9:38 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just clled NFU to get them to send my proof of No Claims years. They said one of the reasons why the insurance has gone up so much, is that they have dropped the 4x4 discount, hence the seemingly huge increases.
There are still the other issues that all insurers are having, which increased the price further of course.....

They're going to give me a call next year to see if they can offer a better price then.....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #7579217th Feb 2011 3:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >