Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

No longer considering, its in the driveway
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ontheridge

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
No longer considering, its in the driveway

A big thanks to those who helped me decide and eveyone who posts here making it a fantastic forum full on information.

Today I took delivery on a new TDV6 SE in Zambesi Silver, no extras yet, just floor carpet mats, so now I have alot to learn about the ins and outs of the Disco3.

But for those of you who read my initial post 'considering a disco3' you may have read the we were expecting our first born when I started looking at the discovery, well the little fella arrive 3 weeks early, very healthy and without any complications, so not only did I pick-up the Disco, I went from the dealer to the hospital and collected my wife and new son, wow what a day, what a week.

So the first thing to do is make the needed mods so I can use my MP3 player on the AUX input of the standard audio system, I have looked around the forum but can't find any clear instructions, any help will be great.

Also, is there a checklist for new disco3 owner to ensure everything in OK.

I'm off to read the owners manuals, pitty the new son didn't come with one!

Last edited by ontheridge on 12th Nov 2005 12:03 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2760212th Nov 2005 10:04 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Congrats on your new arrivals Smile

And good luck with the human... will be far more stressful than anything read on the forum so far Wink

-s

Post #2760312th Nov 2005 10:13 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

8) Very Happy

The End  
Post #2766612th Nov 2005 10:19 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: No longer considering, its in the driveway

ontheridge wrote:
A big thanks to those who helped me decide and eveyone who posts here making it a fantastic forum full on information.

Today I took delivery on a new TDV6 SE in Zambesi Silver, no extras yet, just floor carpet mats, so now I have alot to learn about the ins and outs of the Disco3.

But for those of you who read my initial post 'considering a disco3' you may have read the we were expecting our first born when I started looking at the discovery, well the little fella arrive 3 weeks early, very healthy and without any complications, so not only did I pick-up the Disco, I went from the dealer to the hospital and collected my wife and new son, wow what a day, what a week.

So the first thing to do is make the needed mods so I can use my MP3 player on the AUX input of the standard audio system, I have looked around the forum but can't find any clear instructions, any help will be great.

Also, is there a checklist for new disco3 owner to ensure everything in OK.

I'm off to read the owners manuals, pitty the new son didn't come with one!

Wow, new Disco, new son, does not get better than that. Lets hope they both live up to expectations.

Post #2767213th Nov 2005 12:10 am
ontheridge

So you guys were all correct in saying how great the Disco is to drive and own, at least so far the 600km we have done around Adelaide, the hills and a bit of forest driving have been a dream.

I have done my first mod, this was to make the connection between athe AUX input on the back of the radio to my MP3 player, very easy, considering i'm a electrician and electronics technician.

Next is tinted windows(privacy glass) tomorrow then its time to install my Garmin MAP60C gps and a new UHF radio.

Has anyway bought one of the cargo area protection mats, any comments would be great + what about a roof rack, is the expidition rack good value.

Thanks again
Shaun

Post #2924823rd Nov 2005 10:40 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

ontheridge wrote:

I have done my first mod, this was to make the connection between athe AUX input on the back of the radio to my MP3 player, very easy, considering i'm a electrician and electronics technician.

Did you solder or manage to find the right connector? If so, do you have any details? I'm loathe to solder into my stereo but haven't yet found the right connector to fit in the aux slot of my base stereo
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #2925223rd Nov 2005 11:02 am
ontheridge

KL - I did tap into existing wiring and solder my wires to the three needed, the plug and connector a very small and I haven't seen anything similar in my time with electronics, it really was remarkably easy to get the dash apart and radio out.

Having a MP3 player connected with over 350 songs available is way better than any 6 disc CD player.

Cheers
Shaun
 D4 TDV6 MY13' - 2 weeks away!
RRS S/C MY10' - muchly loved and just gone
D3 TDV6 SE MY06' - loved and gone 

Post #2925923rd Nov 2005 11:35 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

ontheridge wrote:
KL - I did tap into existing wiring and solder my wires to the three needed, the plug and connector a very small and I haven't seen anything similar in my time with electronics, it really was remarkably easy to get the dash apart and radio out.

Having a MP3 player connected with over 350 songs available is way better than any 6 disc CD player.

Cheers
Shaun

Thanks Shaun. I guess with 350 songs you have a 1gb mp3 player. I'm looking forward to connecting my 30gb Creative player to the car and getting the 10,000+ songs on!
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #2937623rd Nov 2005 9:26 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

ontheridge wrote:
So you guys were all correct in saying how great the Disco is to drive and own, at least so far the 600km we have done around Adelaide, the hills and a bit of forest driving have been a dream.

Next is tinted windows(privacy glass) tomorrow then its time to install my Garmin MAP60C gps and a new UHF radio.

Has anyway bought one of the cargo area protection mats, any comments would be great + what about a roof rack, is the expidition rack good value.

Thanks again
Shaun

Shaun, great stuff. If you're after hints on UHF aerial mounting ask me and I'll find a link to a post I did awhile ago on my set up.

If you are after a good strong roof rack have a look at Tradesman Engineering. They have a number of variants for the D3 made in their "Oval" tubing in Steel or Aluminium. I use the rack for my Roof Top tent.

Give them a call on:

TRADESMAN ENGINEERING
..Roof Rack Mfrs 23- 25 Burgess Rd Bayswater 3153 (03) 9761 7466

Tell them Chris told you to call them. I was their second customer and they did a great job.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #2961024th Nov 2005 7:50 am
ontheridge

The tinted windows done and make a huge difference as the days start to heat up + looks fantastic.

Chris - I think I've seen some previous posts regarding aerial mounts at the front coming from the grill on a custom bracket from 'anthill', any help from yourself will be appreciated.

Thanks for roof rack details, I'll do some more home-work.

Cheers

Post #2962424th Nov 2005 11:04 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

ontheridge wrote:
The tinted windows done and make a huge difference as the days start to heat up + looks fantastic.

Chris - I think I've seen some previous posts regarding aerial mounts at the front coming from the grill on a custom bracket from 'anthill', any help from yourself will be appreciated.

Thanks for roof rack details, I'll do some more home-work.

Cheers

Plenty of pics to work out how I made the bracket.

http://lrchroniclepub.proboards29.com/inde...amp;page=6

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #2962524th Nov 2005 11:28 am
ontheridge

Thanks Chris, the photos will make it easy, I have a decent workshop at home and in my office so I should be able to produce the bracket easy, I even has access to a mate to get it galvanised.

I will do my GPS mount and wiring tomorrow, I will take some photos when I'm done.

Shaun

Post #2980925th Nov 2005 10:58 am
brian

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Nice one, it VERY hard to resist such a car isn't it !
Congrats to you and your wife on the other little arrival.
 Brian
TDV6 SE 

Post #3001928th Nov 2005 11:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >