DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Nokia 6230i
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Nokia 6230i

Hi all

I am waiting to get a cradle for the above phone to connect to my factory fitted PTI kit, I phoned LR 3 weeks ago and was told they expected one in November sometime. I went to check at my local dealers yesterday and none in stock so I thought I would phone LR again to see what the state of play is I was informed "that it wouldnt be a new cradle but a software upgrade for the system" anyone got any idea on what this will be?

Post #2807815th Nov 2005 6:33 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

No idea, but would be interested to find out.

I had to reverse an upgrade back down to a 6230 to make the thing work.

Post #2808215th Nov 2005 6:49 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

i was told by my dealer that the 6230i is not compatable so i had to have a 6230 phone instead

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2808315th Nov 2005 6:59 pm
photothames

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I guessing the problem is related to the same issue Nokia have with the 6230i and there own brand car kit in that sometimes after the phone has been fitted to the car kit the phone will crash while while the display states somthink about being used as a storage device! From what I have heard a simlar message comes up in the display of the phone and it crashes when you fit it in the Discovery / RRSport car kit.

I also believe that the car kit may be Nokia sourced so a software update of the car kit module may be in order or even an update to the 6230i phone software may also be required.
 Andy - 2006 HSE TDV6  
Post #2810415th Nov 2005 9:01 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

That's it, exactly. The pop-port connection is right, the 6230i charges, etc. but won't connect to the car - the IHU report no phone being connected. In addition, it does do all sorts of weird things when you take it out of the cradle.

I understand that the 6230i is now operating with the Nokia car kits, but I don't have a recent 6230i to retry in the car. Early software versions (phone, that is) were not compatible.

Post #2810615th Nov 2005 9:11 pm
photothames

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I ask the question to the fitter we use for fitting car kits to our company cars only last week if Nokia had solved the problem with there own car kits, and the answer was not completely. The phone will work in the the cradle put you still some times get the message about using the phone as a storage device and instead of the phone crashing it now switches it self off and back on again Confused . I think the call that a work around Rolling Eyes
 Andy - 2006 HSE TDV6  
Post #2810915th Nov 2005 9:20 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Nokia provides the factory fit PTI for Land Rover see http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,74550,00.html 6230 is listed as being compatible from both cradle and Bluetooth. However, 6230i is only listed for Bluetooth.

Land Rover list can be found at http://www.landrover.com/assets/gb/en/Vehi...edures.pdf which also gives details of compatible software issues for the phones and how to determine the software issue.

Post #2811315th Nov 2005 9:37 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

photothames wrote:
I ask the question to the fitter we use for fitting car kits to our company cars only last week if Nokia had solved the problem with there own car kits, and the answer was not completely. The phone will work in the the cradle put you still some times get the message about using the phone as a storage device and instead of the phone crashing it now switches it self off and back on again Confused . I think the call that a work around Rolling Eyes

I guess you have to call that progress of a sort...........so it looks like it is still a phone issue. 3.50 is the latest software version; 3.62 is due end of the month. 3.50 claims to have resolved some "car kit" issues, but I know no more.

Mr. Zig, the information on the Nokia site is pretty dinosauric, and we all know what to think about anything that our pals in Lode Lane might have to volunteer.

Post #2811815th Nov 2005 9:46 pm
djheaton321

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have just got the 6230i and it only works with bluetooth, not with the cradle. I spoke to LR customer services who told me they were working on it and hoped to have the 6230i working in the next couple of months as they had received a lot of complaints about this phone not working in the cradle. Fingers crossed....
 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
Defender 90 XS - now with a Webasto FBH that works! 

Post #2816215th Nov 2005 11:32 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

What? LRCS admitting that more than one person has complained about the same thing Shocked
 The End  
Post #2816415th Nov 2005 11:33 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

The 6230i is dire. I have the Nokia car kit in three cars and it only works fine in the kit which is 2.5 years old. In the other cars, you have to take the handset out of the cradle very slowly to avoid the 'data storage mode' crash and the phone often refuses to recognise the names of the profiles I have defined.

I have taken the handset back to Carphone Warehouse but they deny that there is a problem. My wife has an older Nokia phone which fits the cradle fine and does'nt have any problems. My confidence in Nokia produicts is severely dented.

Post #2827916th Nov 2005 11:27 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Dog wrote:
The 6230i is dire. I have the Nokia car kit in three cars and it only works fine in the kit which is 2.5 years old. In the other cars, you have to take the handset out of the cradle very slowly to avoid the 'data storage mode' crash and the phone often refuses to recognise the names of the profiles I have defined.

I have taken the handset back to Carphone Warehouse but they deny that there is a problem. My wife has an older Nokia phone which fits the cradle fine and does'nt have any problems. My confidence in Nokia produicts is severely dented.
.... which is why i've stuck with Ericsson since the late 1980's Wink unfortunately, LR haven't Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  
Post #2828116th Nov 2005 11:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Winger wrote:
photothames wrote:

I guess you have to call that progress of a sort...........so it looks like it is still a phone issue. 3.50 is the latest software version; 3.62 is due end of the month. 3.50 claims to have resolved some "car kit" issues, but I know no more.

Mr. Zig, the information on the Nokia site is pretty dinosauric, and we all know what to think about anything that our pals in Lode Lane might have to volunteer.

I had my new 6230i upgraded to the 3.50 version to see if would make any difference but it does not, (works 100% BT but not in the cradle) is now sitting in a drawer awaiting Nokia/LR to sort while I use the 6230 which works fine! I emailed Nokia support just for a bit of comedy value, here's a
snippet for entertainment!

Thank you for contacting Nokia Helpline.

First off, the RX-1M is not a Nokia part but a Land Rover part and updating the software on you're phone will not affect it's compatibility with other products.

***(so why does the RX-1M have a Nokia Declaration of conformity, p129 nav/phone handbook?)***

Nokia does not manufacture a car kit cradle that will enable your 6230i to be compatible with this Land Rover car kit.

Please contact Land Rover for possible solutions to this.

If you should have further questions or suggestions please feel free to contact us anytime.

With best regards,

Your Nokia Helpline

this was after this very helpfull helpline denied they even made the kit...

so I sent them the link:

http://www.europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,74550,00.html

Laughing

I don't think it's worth getting bent out of shape about it as I'm sure they are going to fix it.. it's just a case of when I would imagine!
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #2830317th Nov 2005 10:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

Well, they aren't really lying. They are a supplier to Land Rover and they do not support the product directly. Land Rover owns all the painful customer support. Smile

Post #2830417th Nov 2005 10:42 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

yes I know, very precise :

"Nokia does not manufacture a car kit cradle that will enable your 6230i to be compatible with this Land Rover car kit. "

is the bit!
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #2830517th Nov 2005 10:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >