Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Nokia 9300 and PTI Cradle.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Nokia 9300 and PTI Cradle.

I've just got my hands on a CR-3 cradle for the PTI kit (thank you Doctor Diesel) and have ordered the Nokia CR-5 generic car kit cradle for the 9300 from ebay for the enormous sum of £12. My plan is to "Borg" the two cradles to create some kind of hybrid cradle that physically accepts the 9300 while still connecting to the PTI. Even if the only thing that works is the aerial connection it's a bonus, but would be well chuffed if I get SIM access too 8) I won't be beating the CR-3 with a hammer, so can always revert to plan B and get a 6300, but wondered if anyone else has tried this approach? Or am I the only nutter here Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1284407th Feb 2007 10:12 pm
White Disco

Australia 

I have a 9500 and just leave it in My breifcase or pocket and connect with BT. Did not see a reason for Me to have a cradle for the phone. (esp as I bought only 7th 9500 to come to Australia, & no accessories were avail. Then only Nokia Orig at inflated price).
Cheers,
David.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #1284467th Feb 2007 10:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

The bluetooth connectivity is fine, it's just that I would like to be able to access the phonebook and take advantage of the external antennae.

I figure it's worth trying to match up the various pop-port pins on the Nokia CR-5 cradle with the connections on the CR-3. The antennae connection is done via an induction loop, and this can be easily placed against the rear of the 9300 to get an improved reception (quite a few blackspots where I live that can be improved with better antenna).

Just wondered if anyone else had tried this? Do I have too much time on my hands? Confused
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1284507th Feb 2007 10:34 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I did this with the sony ericsson LR cradle for the T610, and the SE cradle for the K608i, and it worked. Quality wasn't the best, but the T610 wasn't either, so it was nothing to do with the mods I'd made.

I tried a N70 (or 72, can't remember exactly) with the Nokia cradle taken apart, but it didn't work. However, that was before I got the PTI software upgraded to make the 6230i work, so I've always suspected that upgrade probably lets other newer Nokias work too, but have never tested it. I've been perfectly happy with a pay as you go 6230i in the cradle and have my 'proper' mobile which is a K800i divert to it.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #1284728th Feb 2007 12:00 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I considered a PAYG 6230 but it's more for the outbound calls and access to the phone book that I want the physical PTI connection. I can copy the phone book to the PAYG sim, but I really want to use my main 'phone account for outbound. Not a bad idea though.

The other idea was a second SIM, but Vodafone simply see this as a licence to print money and charge the earth for the SIM before hitting you again for call charges, not including them in the main account package.

Option 3, which I've only just thought of (and prompted by your PAYG suggestion) is to add a 6230i to my account when the next upgrades are due in March. I can share the minutes across the 9300 and the 6230 for outbound calls and leave the 9300 (or it's replacement) on divert to the 6230 when in the car. I'm pretty sure Vodafone will go with that as I have a business account with them with 3 handsets already.

Hmmmmm ::strokes chin thoughtfully::
Post #1285518th Feb 2007 9:15 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I use 6230i in the cradle (& BT when i forget to put it in) and find it pretty good, esp in lowish signal areas. Only problem I have is the extra exercise going back to get the phone as I've left it in the cradle when I've left the car. Rolling Eyes

Post #1285578th Feb 2007 9:24 am
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

When I used Nodo$h 's cradle, my 6230i performed flawlessly, I just didn't like the phone hence I sold the cradle......Now using a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 .........Now THAT is a really great device tho nae chance anyone will make a LR/RR cradle for it to integrate properly

http://www.discoverblackberry.com/en_UK/index.jsp
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #1285638th Feb 2007 9:34 am
rsk21

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Does anyone have a view or inight as to whether LR are actively engaged in looking into providing cradles for newer models ?

At the risk of sounding horribly elitist I would have thought that many LR owners are the type of people who would use some of the more high end phones and mobile devices. Given that I understand that the LR kit is manufactured by Nokia it seems odd that there is no current or seemingly planned support for the "N series" phones for example. Anybody got any insider knowledge on this ?

RSK

Post #12905910th Feb 2007 10:02 am
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I use the 6230i which works great in the PTI cradle. Signal is always brilliant and I have only had to charge the phone from the mains twice in a year as it is always being charged in the car.

I am about to order another 6230i through a scheme at my place of work so that when mine eventually breaks I'll have a new one. My thinking is that in a few years time, Nokia's range would have moved on but LR will still only be compatible with it's currrent list and the feature will be useless...

Luckily for me, I'm not a phone freak and can manage with simple devices....

Post #12906510th Feb 2007 10:45 am
blaiseh

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

was at my local dealer last Friday and asked them about LR supporting other (nokia) phones - it was big fat no and LR were expecting everyone to use bluetooth - Anyone know who makes the pti system for LR?
 2007 TDV6 XS Cairns Blue  
Post #13012615th Feb 2007 11:49 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Nokia! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #13012915th Feb 2007 12:03 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Oddly enough it's made by.....

Nokia.

I've given up on butchering the cradle and will probably just get a 6*** series phone with a new number added to my call bundle. TBH, with a bit of effort to add numbers to the onboard directory I think the BT functionality is 99% of what I need.
Post #13013015th Feb 2007 12:05 pm
Pelyma

England 

I have an E50 which I divert to a 6230i in the car, this is on a shared talk plan with 02 and costs £5pm (long story) but I think should be £12. This works very well but I'm not sure if the divert costs?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #13016115th Feb 2007 1:16 pm
blaiseh

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

you've probably seen this:
http://europe.nokia.com/acc_html_car_integration_landrover
 2007 TDV6 XS Cairns Blue  
Post #13044616th Feb 2007 10:44 am
Post Reply Back to top