Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

none opening rear boot lid
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nospis

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
none opening rear boot lid

Hi, anyone experienced problems with rear tailgate, recently out with dogs in the back when tailgate failed to open, tried the emergency open on the dashboard holding for three secs, this opened it slightly but it remained stuck on the catch. Ten minutes followed trying to take the dog guard out and rescue the confused hounds.
I have oredered a catch but still cannot get the bootlid open to attempt to change it, any ideas.
P.s also wondering if the rear release switch has also failed as cannot feel anything when pressing it.

P.P.s someone mentioned a download for adjusting parking brake can you point me in the right directions.

Thanks

Post #45206410th Apr 2009 9:02 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Very well known issue, try doing a site search for +rear +tailgate +failure, there are a number of threads a bit this, one of them is sure to have some answers that will be useful to you Thumbs Up

Oh, and welcome to the site as well Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45206710th Apr 2009 9:06 am
MARKW

United Kingdom 

I thought I had the same problem. Nick (TLO) ordered in the usual parts for the job. When they had it in the workshop it turned out to be the handle on the back door. Some corrosion inside the handle. They sorted it out and were ordering new parts to fix it completely. Just waiting now for the parts to come in for tat job and my failing seat and creased fabric on both front seats. Then it's off back to Yeovil to get it all sorted.
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #45207610th Apr 2009 9:44 am
catweasel

Re: none opening rear boot lid

nospis wrote:
tried the emergency open on the dashboard holding for three secs, this opened it slightly but it remained stuck on the catch.
get someone to operate the emergency release while you pull on the upper tailgate and see if it opens. if it does then it is probably as MARKW says and the contacts on the switch are probably corroded. if you can operate the switch in the upper tailgate and hear the familiar solenoid sound trying to pull the catch wire then it is probably a broken lower catch. the end of the wire (crappy L shaped solder typre design) breaks and the wire has nothing to pull against and you need to open the upper tailgate from within the boot area. a pain to do but gets easier with practice Whistle .
try opening with assistance first and see how you go.

Post #45220710th Apr 2009 2:38 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

As stated ^^^^ you can operate the dash switch and it just un latches but still won't open. You need to operate the switch and get someone to lift the tailgate. Or slam the boot shut, this then allows the latch to drop into place and then openable as per normal.

If you have the same as me you can pull the rubber boot off that the fingers come into contact with and free it all up. Not sure what they did at Yeovil to temp cure my latch but 3 weeks on it still works everytime. So when the new bits get fitted I'll have total piece of mind
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #45222310th Apr 2009 3:18 pm
nospis

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
tailgate fault

Thanks for the tips, boot lid switch completely coroded under the rubber cover, will need to order when one the dealers re-open on Tuesday.
Had a practice at removing the tailgate lock, yes it's a pain but next time when it's replaced should be straight forward.

Post #45262611th Apr 2009 10:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >