Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Not again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mwillems

2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Not again!

I just started my LR3 which had been sitting at Toronto airport for the day, in a covered but cold garage.

All the warning lights came on red or flashing. The handbrake applied by itself (I do not use it when it is cold). The gearing went to LOW all by itself. The display said "HDC Fault - System Not Available". Chaos!

It took me two restarts (key out) to get it all working again. So.. intermittent electrical faults haunt my LR3.

I am not worried if they are solved, and LR have been very good in solving the issues. But by now I am starting to think "replacement car" may soon be in order. What say you all?

Post #138911th Mar 2005 1:29 am
FamilyMan

It is a fault, it registers and records as a fault and if they can't fix it you have the right to change. Nobody can tell you if the replacement wouldn't have the same problems but this website does go someway to helping you anticipate that given all the similar problems here. At least you'd have a fresh car. Really it's down to you whether given the odds your prepared to gamble with your time/energy/patience. If it's not too much inconvienance to challenge them...go for it.
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #139511th Mar 2005 9:50 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think you have some justification. What does your dealer say to this latest failure?

Post #140811th Mar 2005 4:14 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Sounds like the same thing I have just posted on "Start up probelms" and the route cause is the effect of a heavily loaded battery on a cold day giving a low voltage output that causes the electric systems to trip over themselves. I suggest Landrover should be asked to put forward a permanent fix for this issue, and it may be as simple as fitting a better battery (or possibly higher output alternator).
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #142513th Mar 2005 12:42 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If low volts is the cause, then bigger batteries or alternators are not going solve the problem.

The alternator regulates the voltage on the vehicle. It will regulate volts regardless of battery state, and has more than enough capacity to cope with all the electrics and more. The problem is volatge stability.

If you carefuly look at the lcd display in the dash, with the lights on, and rev the engine, you will notice that it dims momentarily when the revs drop. This is because the built in regulator has to compensate for the dropping revs. All alternators do this, and most cars will demonstrate this phenomenon.

Maybe the problem is that the ecu's can't cope with the fluctuation. Do you remember the early days of computing, when we all had to use filtered sockets etc. or the computer would do its nut, and the supplier always blamed " well sir, you must have had a spike on the mains or something" Modern computers have much more robust power supplies now, and voltage stability is no longer an issue with most pc's.

Well I reckon LR may have this problem with the ecu's. The only solution may be additional voltage stabilisers, or replacement ecu's, but don't hold your breath!

Post #142613th Mar 2005 12:54 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Gareth, you clearly know a whole lot more about electricity than me (hell I am a humble bean counter - aka accountant). However I do know that on my Defender, the volt meter that I have on the dash, will read low (down to 10v) on a cold morning start up whereas it will read up to 14v on a warm start up.

Batteries don't enjoy the cold (I have just returned from a skiing trip in Austria where it was minus 25 degrees c some days and the battery on my Nokia read zero, but warm it up and the power came back) and a car battery cranking cold oil whilst powering lots of accessories, will surely take the voltage output down. In the defender if I am running both winches simultaneously I used to have to fit a very high CC rated battery (cold cranking) & still rev the nuts out of the engine to keep the voltage up to snuff. Now the winches run on a seperate 24volt system and nowts the bother.....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #142713th Mar 2005 1:07 am
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

My TDV6 has been to Poland and Austria skiing and never had a problem with the cold and I collected my car 11th November!
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #142913th Mar 2005 9:39 am
Keith Walshe

Disco 2 has a similar problem. There is no reson that it cannot be fixed. All LR has to do is insert a small buck / boost DC - DC converter between the battery and the supply rail to the ECU etc. This will ensure a stable DC rail irrespective of normal battery terminal voltage variations.
Even easier would be for the ecu to ignore all these warnings untill the battery voltas come up after starting. It might need a bit more complicated logic ie not displaying a range of warnings for x seconds after engine start.

Post #144314th Mar 2005 5:08 am
mwillems

2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

And not just warnings: my car actually went into low gear AND applied the handbrake all by itself. That is clearly not acceptable.

Post #144414th Mar 2005 9:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >