Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Not happy with your D4?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
JR

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Not happy with your D4?

I'm on the verge of replacing my D3 with a D4 3.0 V6 SE and would like to hear from those of you who think you've made a mistake upgrading from a diesel D3 to a diesel D4.

Cheers

JR

Post #60740721st Feb 2010 5:12 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

and if anybody IS unhappy with the D4 i'd be more than happy top swap you for my D3.... Whistle
 one wife.......livid  
Post #60741121st Feb 2010 5:19 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Laughing you ain't gettin' my D4 Ad

Absolutely stunning motor. Thumbs Up

Post #60746721st Feb 2010 7:20 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes.

I'm unhappy that I didn't have the option of the 5.0l petrol engine in the UK.

Still recon I would have bought the 3.0l diesel though!

Post #60747421st Feb 2010 7:25 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I wasn't happy (damned annoyed TBH, having spent big money to get air supension) with the stiffness of the front anti-roll bar because it made the body follow the wheels into dips and up over bumps even on the open road. This killed the ability of the front of the vehicle to float over bumps and generally made it ride like a sports car on rougher roads. It even hit the bump stops on rougher road due to no increased clearance when a wheel dropped into a dip then there wasn't enough clearance for the sudden upward movement after the dip.

But its all fixed now, having replaced the ARB with one from a D3 and the improvement was much more than I expected. I didn't own a D3, only having gone for an extended test drive in one to test the ride. The D4's ride now is what I was wanting and also needing for my wife's injured back.

Its quite easy to R&R the bar from the left side of the vehicle, and the bars have identical shape and dimensions. I have no intention of replacing the rear ARB as I'm currently happy with the overall ride and handling.

Finding 18" rims is next on my agenda.

Post #60756721st Feb 2010 9:13 pm
mowog

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

I am "not" unhappy...

I came from a Ford Territory to a D4 SE 3.0TDV6 I have heard people complain about the ride of the D4 I find it very good indeed. The Ford Territory had better turn in and sharper handling but the D4 is miles ahead on refinement and ride. And that 3.0 Diesel is a killer compared to the 4.0 I6 that is in the Territory.

The D4 is well made its fit and finish is better than my Territory the interior is bloody nice.

I would like some 18" wheel for a trip I am planning as well. It seems to me people are hell bent on having alloy wheels. Has anyone looked at a steel wheel option? The rim could be thinner and this would improve the calliper to wheel clearance.
 Discovery 4 SE Long range fuel tank Kaymar Rear Bar.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood
Mini JCW Clubman
Lotus Trooper Off Road Caravan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/ 

Post #60760721st Feb 2010 9:54 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I was told last week that a well-known Oz steel wheel manufacturer (I can't remember which one) was putting the finishing touches on their 18" D4 3.0 wheel.

Post #60772622nd Feb 2010 4:01 am
mowog

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

I would be very interested in a set of steel 18's for the D4...
 Discovery 4 SE Long range fuel tank Kaymar Rear Bar.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood
Mini JCW Clubman
Lotus Trooper Off Road Caravan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/ 

Post #60773922nd Feb 2010 8:10 am
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Keep posting info about those 18" wheels Thumbs Up

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #60775522nd Feb 2010 9:31 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

18" info for me too please. Steel even better. Thumbs Up

Post #60777622nd Feb 2010 10:38 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

On snow and ice (despite it being 39C in Perth today Very Happy , I grew up in serious snow country) any 2WD or 4WD vehicle like the D4 still has only 4 tyres and 4 brakes. D4's won't/can't stop better than 2WD's but should accelerate better than a 2WD. The frustrating thing is that to make the fuel efficiency look good, vehicle manufacturers put on low-friction highway tyres. It's the first thing many of us change here. I suspect even if the Scorpion Zero/Goodyear HP on our D4's has a snow symbol on the side (which they do in Oz!), it's not worth depending on. I recall back in the mountains of Colorado (birthplace) my old sedan car would do better in snow <4 inches deep than Texans in 4WD's with road tyres, because of my car having excellent snow tyres and technique (eg, if about to stop, first reverse about 2m, then go forward 1m, so when the tyres sit and melt the snow around them there are clear tracks ahead and behind the tyres).
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #60914024th Feb 2010 3:40 am
COMMANDO

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
D4 problem

Looks like the D4 is as bad for build quality as the D3.

Post #60919524th Feb 2010 9:54 am
SGK

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

love it way more than my D3 - about 2000km so far.
Problem is the new 3 liter diesel engine could make you drive less responsibly - although of course this would never happen to me Whistle
Smile
sgk
 Prado Grande --> D3 --> D4 ... its getting better all the time Smile  
Post #60993625th Feb 2010 9:50 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Re: D4 problem

COMMANDO wrote:
Looks like the D4 is as bad for build quality as the D3.

Maybe vehicles vary, but mine is no comparison even to the 2009MY D3, and light years away from the early D3s.

Post #60995225th Feb 2010 10:13 am
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I sat in one and played about for nearly an hour last Friday while waiting for something, I could not for the sake of me understand where the extra cost for the D4 came from, they are trying to make it more luxurious 'looking' but that is facade, underneath it is pretty much the same car except of course the engine in the 3ltr models. My only concluson was that it is a smoke and mirrors excercise to get more funds into the dwindling warranty box, If I calculated the amount of time and parts it has taken to get my new car as it should have been straight from the production line, then they must be selling at a loss.

I have had 5 Mercedes e Class, mix of saloons and estate cars ver the last 10yrs and guess what, not one of them has had anything go wrong, not once. Now we are being expected to buy extended warranties, IF we are mug enough to keep the vehicle after it is out of warranty. There is also a market for fault finding machines, only beacuase the cars are totally unreliable, you never know what will go wrong next and apparently these machines are the only thing to keep you going if in the middle of knowhere, utter, utter madness, and if this was not true why buy these machines.

I have grown to love the car but it has taken a year, I don't know why but the idea seems sound, a multi functional car, just a shame that the build quality and parts quality takes you through a miriad of emotions through seemingly endless faults from knew that knock your confidence. Will I keep it when the warranty runs out, NO CHANCE, some other mug can have the stress and worry of whether it will get them to their destination, and when I say destination Iam not talking about Timbuktoo, I am talking about Tesco's! a simple journey that can end up with Limp mode, a recovery to the dealer, inconvenience and grey hair.

This forum is the only thing that has stopped me chucking the thing back, I have seen and heard of love stories on here with these vehicles, they are like annoying children that never seem to grow up (cars not forum members Razz ). Will I fall further in love with her and keep her? I have invested a lot in accessories to try and please her, she has behaved since the last MAP sensor being fitted, so let's just take a day at a time. Buy a D4, no way ho say, enough trouble with the older sister, what horrors has the younger bastardised sister still to reveal Shocked

The above is all in MY opinion, so don't get the hump, I have just said what I feel and given MY view.

Post #60996325th Feb 2010 10:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >