Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Notebook Computer Detector?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Notebook Computer Detector?

Within a space of 3 months my brother has had 2 notebook computers stolen from his car. In both instances, they were in the boot of his truck and under cover away from prying eyes. In both instances, the exact rear quarter window was broken and the portable computer pilfered, all other items (or junk) in his truck was untouched. All other cars around his were untouched, only his was targetted. The computer was already in the boot when he parked.

It seems that these Censored are able to see through a translucent material and know where a compter is located. He is forming an opinion, that those low-life have a "detector" able to sniff out portable computers. Thinking logically, is it possible that most portable computers have RFI tags left in them that may have been used for tracking during production?
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #11991315th Jan 2007 9:07 pm
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Atom,

I like the idea but RFID tags are not frequently used in consumer products today, although tomorrow is another story. Even if they had an RFID reader it's likely that it would only provide garbled data that they wouldn't understand, unless they had product codes etc. Is it just bad luck and the fact that thieves today use the numbers game ? When in the UK we had around 10-15 stolen from a fleet of 35 cars in 1 year. All sales reps busting for a pee at the supermarket toilets. In the end they spent more than a penny as we imposed a "if you get it stolen then you pay to replace it scheme" funny we never lost any more.
 Mrs Jones ? We've come for your Liver  
Post #11991615th Jan 2007 9:15 pm
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think you may be miss informed RFID is used in more than you may think, I had a notebook stolen from a boot and I think the fact you are suited and booted and go from you car without a laptop or case is enough to make you more than a 50% prospect for something good in the boot. Those Fxxxers have brains you know. "if you get it stolen you pay" is taking the Censored why should somebody who hapens to drive a nice car wear a decent suit, have to pay for the scum who cant be arsed to find a job and rob people who they think can afford it
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #11992015th Jan 2007 9:24 pm
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I agree that the problem is with the nice people that borrow these laptops but it's difficult to stop them. However it's amazing that we never had 1 stolen since we employed this policy. It's a tough policy but it works. I estimated it costs up to £10k per laptop that gets stolen if you calulate the real cost (not just the fixed asset).

Basically if you carry you Laptop with you it's a fact. it can't get stolen from your car ! Sad but true.
 Mrs Jones ? We've come for your Liver  
Post #11993315th Jan 2007 9:37 pm
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I disagree, how many laptops have been pinched from bars, restaurants, trains, loos etc. taking a Censored with a laptop is a hazard. I would never venture onto the underground with one in a normal case. I always use a rucksack or a briefcase.

I agree that the capital cost is only a small proportion, but why Tax the innocent in this loosing you DATA is bad enough, I know the pain it caused me.

Its the low life who need sorting out. If you leave it on your front seat then you have everything coming to you. But locking it away in the boot shouls be deemed safe enough.
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #11995415th Jan 2007 9:49 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

We have had a number of laptops stolen from car boots.

There are devices which can detect the laptops which are in standby mode, ie they havnt been fully shut down. Also, its easier to steal from the boot than from inside the car.

Always "shutdown" the laptop. I cant guarentee it wont be stolen but it makes it less detectable !
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #11996115th Jan 2007 9:51 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

These Censored are so desparate that they even stole a laptop which was Kingston locked to the car boot by destroying the laptop chassis to get it free from the cable.

This happened to one of our techs at work.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #12004416th Jan 2007 12:23 am
DiscoAtom

Able to detect a portable in "standby" mode - must be using a sensitive electromagnetic wave detector to pick up the tiny EMF radiation when it is running. Just like what I read in a spy book sometime ago when the Russians were able to pickup what was being typed in a targetted US Emabassy computer by detecting the EMF radiation of the CRT computer screen.

Nigel - with my brother loosing two company portables, I sure his superior will be doing something to minimise his loss. I'll find out when I catch with my brother next.

Chris - I'm interested to know how they knew there was a portable in the boot of your teckkies car...unless they saw him putting it in.
Post #12004916th Jan 2007 12:58 am
SN

My laptop lives in a rucksack (not a laptop bag) - I use the underground every week with no issue
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #12006016th Jan 2007 1:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DiscoAtom wrote:

Chris - I'm interested to know how they knew there was a portable in the boot of your teckkies car...unless they saw him putting it in.

Actually the boot was a wagon but everything was covered under the load space cover however prying eyes think load space cover pulled close equals valuable goods to hide. They got lucky when they smashed a window and broke in on a busy highway.

Therefore no high tech gadgets used just a bit of observation used.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #12006916th Jan 2007 2:54 am
Jamo

Australia 

Where was the car when they were stolen.

Often thieves will re-target if they have been successful before, because most people don't change their habits.

The first time may have been luck. The second time may have been a punt that your brother had a replacement laptop and would put it in the same location.

And, I know it's not common, but I knew a bloke who had consecutive break-ins. In his case it turned out to be a 'mate' who he had been bragging to!!!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #12010616th Jan 2007 9:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

Some laptops with built in wireless lan are setup to "wake up from lan " from standby. If you are technical enough it would not be hard to get these laptops to do that but how you would then tell exactly where it was is another matter.
Usually this is a driver setting on your wireless Lan adapters. Also BlueTooth is used to identify active devices at short range. This gives a better indication of location as the range is much shorter.

Post #12011616th Jan 2007 9:35 am
DiscoAtom

They were stolen when he was parked in one of those large multi-storey car-parks deep in Sydney metro.
I guess he should have taken heed of old advice; Do Not Leave Your Valuables In Your Car!!
Post #12059717th Jan 2007 3:07 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

There was a similar story in our local papaer last week about theives being able to detect the presence of sat-nav units (eg. TomTom) even when in the glovebox etc. Claimed this was possible although I suspected it was bullsh*t personally.

And no it wasn't by looking at the docking unit stuck on the glass or the mark left by the suction cup, these were fully removed apparantly Shocked
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #12067917th Jan 2007 12:01 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

We are all forgetting blue tooth has made laptops 'discoverable' simply by using a mobile phone Sad

Post #12068417th Jan 2007 12:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >