Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Now I know why I bought a Discovery 3!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
oliver77

Wales 

I think we are confusing road safety initiatives between countries here. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau have some good initiatives under way to reduce road deaths but you still saw an increase in deaths during 2005 over 2004 I'm not sure of the exact figures but I think they rose by around 50 deaths.

We tend to get into an ever decreasing circle on this issue, I think there are so many risks out there that I buy a safe car to drive around in. Those who don't have that safe understanding of risk don't even consider that they may be involved in a collision.

Many drivers don't consider whether their car is safe or not safe, they just feel safe as they are surrounded by metal. Human factors play the major part in all of this and we're not going to change humans in our lifetime so you just have to ensure that you drive responsibly and keep you and yours safe.

If anyone can't get to sleep tonight and really wants someone to bore them on the subject of road safety for hours and hours until they fall into a coma please feel free to PM me with any questions!! Very Happy

Post #6756730th Jun 2006 4:00 pm
catweasel

I would be 100% right in saying your roads are far more congested than ours (where I am anyway) and if people didnt make poor decisions (attitude) crashes would rarely occur except for unforseen mechanical failure to the car or road. I totally agree with respect to putting my bum in a safe car due to those certain muppets out there and as for the fact that they feel safe they also dont take into account the limitations of their car or their abilities or lack of, but from Discovery343 original post it's nice to know the D3 proved its worth and apart from its off and onroad abilities this was one reason why I chose to purchase it.

Post #6757030th Jun 2006 4:16 pm
paul

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The total number of road casualties of all severities fell by 3 per cent between 2003 and 2004 to approximately 281,000. This compares with an annual average of approximately 320,000 for the years 1994-98 and 324,000 in 1984.

The decline in the casualty rate, which takes into account the volume of traffic on the roads, has been much steeper. In 1964 there were 240 casualties per 100 million vehicle kilometres. By 2004 this had declined to 56 per 100 million vehicle kilometres.

The United Kingdom has a very good record for road safety compared with most other EU countries. In 2003 it had one of the lowest road death rates in the EU, at 6.14 per 100,000 population. The UK rate was also lower than the rates for other industrialised nations such as Japan (6.96 per 100,000 population), and substantially lower than that of Australia (8.15) and the United States (14.66).

Source: National Statistics

This is talking about all injuries including minor which is whiplash etc. With our new claims culture over the last few years there is a substantial increase in minor injury accidents so people can make the claim. Still the figures are reducing!
 2006 TDV6 S Auto, Buckingham Blue, for the wife and kids.
2013 BMW 535d M sport touring. 

Post #6757230th Jun 2006 4:28 pm
catweasel

and do you think that is due to safer cars or the turning of peoples attitude as Im pretty sure the majority would have old cars without alot of the new safety bits IMHO

Post #6757430th Jun 2006 4:32 pm
oliver77

Wales 

Fortunately, the figures are taken from Stats.19 forms completed by the police at the scene of an injury rtc. They don't take the figures from a week later when someone is convinced that they have whiplash in order to make a personal injury claim.

Casualties are reducing in part thanks to much safer cars on the road but they are not reducing as dramatically as they could. Forcing people out of cars onto bikes is not going to solve anything.

Post #6757630th Jun 2006 4:34 pm
catweasel

I have no doubt that injuries are reduced by safer cars as you say "in part" but from my experience people are tending not todrink and drive or if they are tired they catch a cab etc whereas a few years back going home Censored would not have raised an eyebrow. I think these sorts of things tend to reduce the casualties more
Paul casualties may have dropped but I didnt see any statistics for crashes that didnt cause any injury. I bet they've dropped significantly too

Post #6757730th Jun 2006 4:43 pm
catweasel

JMC wrote:
Quote:
It's good to get an informed perspective on things

Makes a pleasant change from people posting nonsense at every opportunity to catch BN / TFC

Not that I'm suggesting TFC posts nonsense - quite the reverse Bow down Just those trying to catch him..... Wink

what nonsense! trying to catch BN/TFC eh.

Post #6757830th Jun 2006 4:46 pm
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

We had a head on collision in a Renault Scenic it looked after us pretty well!
Head on collision with a Nissan Terrano he lost control came over the central reservation & ended coming at us sideways!
We hit him in the back wheel arch & spun him around so he then hit my drivers side, I walked away having a air bag wife had broken solder coursed by the seat belt, but it did save her life!
My wife's new car was trashed but it did its gob (was only 2 weeks old!) the bonnet taking lots of energy out of the collision & the interior staying relatively in tacked.

Front end

The culprits car.

Wife's side

My side

Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #676111st Jul 2006 4:30 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Damn !

Nick I'm glad to hear your all OK !!

Post #676121st Jul 2006 6:24 pm
SN

glad you're ok - you don't seem to have much luck with car crashes... Sad
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #676151st Jul 2006 9:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Embarassed
Sorry should have said this was nearly eight years ago!
But was very similar to the one this year! Evil or Very Mad
Nick
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #676191st Jul 2006 10:10 pm
Discovery343

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Now I know why I bought a Discovery 3!

I have put photos of the rear of Disco3 after the crash in my Gallery. Sorry about the angles but it was right up against the bodyworks wall. I have no idea how long it will take to fix as the insurance company is still awaiting quotes. The repairers are having trouble with prices and availability of parts from Land Rover, apparently.
 05 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Chawton White with roof rails, driving lights, steel side protection rails. Rego: DISCO3  
Post #676983rd Jul 2006 3:03 am
Jamo

Australia 

Hopefully, you won't have to wait to long to get her fixed. Glad to see everyones OK now, except for the pigeon-toed D3.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #676993rd Jul 2006 3:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

oliver77 wrote:

We tend to get into an ever decreasing circle on this issue, I think there are so many risks out there that I buy a safe car to drive around in. Those who don't have that safe understanding of risk don't even consider that they may be involved in a collision......

......Many drivers don't consider whether their car is safe or not safe, they just feel safe as they are surrounded by metal.

I've been away at a certain disco3.co.uk event for the last few days and have caught up with this thread today.

It is interesting to read about the 'insider' view and thanks for sharing that Oliver. As usual it sheds a slightly different light on the subject than organisations would want the general public to be aware of.

It seems to me (as a layman) that the issue of risk perception poses one of the greatest challenges....and as a result are 'safer' vehicles now producing greater risk takers on the road in everyday driving? Afterall the death rate for car drivers & occupants has remained fairly static in the UK , hovering around the 1 per 100,000 million Km mark, in the 10 year period to 2004. And yet vehicles are supposedly getting safer Confused So, does better safety = more risk taking = same amount of deaths ?

Studies of RTC injuries collated over time give the designers the leader on where improvements can be made in design, but it's a shame that they cannot collate information relating to driver brain function....or in many cases....the lack of it ! Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #677853rd Jul 2006 9:04 pm
SN

dickgriff wrote:
I've been away at a certain disco3.co.uk event for the last few days
...and this is why you bought your D3, yes? Because stuff like the Peaks event was exactly why I bought mine! Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #678584th Jul 2006 12:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >