Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Now I'm really angry........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Now I'm really angry........

Picked my D3 up yesterday after 11 days in the dealers stinking Freelander.

I gave them a list of items that I was having problems with. Mostly electronic, but also including a clonk from the front suspension when going over potholes on road. They diagnosed this as bottom ball joint and ordered on VOR. Took two days to arrive. Then it took two days to cahnge as the dealer didn't have the special tooling and were having to "make do".

They also cahnged the coolant reservoir due to the common fault of a pourous float giving incorrect low coolant warnings.

At the same time they downloaded the latest software to cure an ongoing lack of power at low engine RPM.

When I arrived to pick the car up I started it up to warm it up and the engine was idling erratically. I could hear the irregular firing so I opened the bonnet to listen more carefully only to discover that the radiator grille hadn't been refitted properly and that the A bar wasn't re-secured. On top of this the whole under bonnet area was covered in coolant and it was starting to warm up and smell.

Service guys response was that I could leave the car and drive their Freelander home or bring it back on Monday. I was not amused and proceeded to let him know in no uncertain terms.

Drove home only to dicover that the Dash display was flashng up: "onnet Open"and my auxiliary light don't work.

One of the other items on my list was that the auto lights were on during the day. They reported that no fault had been found. Sure enough on the way home: bright sunshine (I was wearing sunglasses) and the lights were on.

Main dealers eh? One day I will find one that gives a rat's ass about either me or my £43.000 car........

Name 'em and shame 'em Guy Salmon Startford on Avon!!!!
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #3988929th Jan 2006 11:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 
Re: Now I'm really angry........

mwestcrew wrote:

Name 'em and shame 'em Guy Salmon Startford on Avon!!!!

And change them!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3992730th Jan 2006 10:25 am
Malcolm

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

mwestcrew
When it comes to parts I have yet to find my dealer have anything more than a spark plug in store. Due to cash-flow control they order everything via overnight courier, even when it's booked in a week in advance and they know what for they still order when they have the vehicle in their workshop and not before. Thus anything is a two day job. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
 Alive and kicking..who's round is it anyway ?? 

Last edited by Malcolm on 5th Feb 2006 9:05 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #3996830th Jan 2006 12:08 pm
MJ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Your'e right about dealer parts stock - in fact I believe Land Rover actually discourage them from stocking too much. A guy I know (who owns an LR dealership) told me that several years ago, Land Rover instructed dealers to dispence with ALL parts stock. They began delivering parts from regional parts depots to the dealer 3 times a day in a fleet of vans. Needless to say this was a complete failure.
I'm in the farm machinery business, and whilst we are not perfect, we do insist that if a dealer is going to sell a particular machine, they must have a minimum stock of parts for that machine, specified by us. From what I see of things, I doubt Land Rover do anything like this.
In the end there really is no substitute for a well stocked stores an a good storeman who knows what you are asking for, and where to find it!!

Post #4012330th Jan 2006 9:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steveho

United Kingdom 

medium size dealers can carry in excess of £200 k worth of stock

dealers carry parts for:-

def 90/110,200/300tdi/td5
disco 200/300tdi/td5
freelander k,l series,v6,td4
classic,range rover,new range rover
disco 3
rr sport

also the accessories for these as well

you can only stock as much as the bank manager will allow Sad

then there's the problem of 'back orders' which the dealer has no control of

Post #409934th Feb 2006 7:54 pm
lew

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

We all know that holding large stocks of parts for vehicles can be costly, and main dealers know that too.
The problem is that when you speak to the dealer about parts, you are talking to a person who doesn't own a Land rover or possibly even their own car, is used to jumping in to what ever is availible at the end of the day to get home and will probably be working at Renault or Mitsubishi next month.
Urgency to get you back on the road is not their priority, and having a company like Land rover to quote/blame is convenient to say the least.
We deal with them everyday and use the part number system to order parts and still they cock up.
Just remember, most land rover owners know more than most main dealer service managers. Wink
 There's no I in team and no F in bonus  
Post #410014th Feb 2006 9:12 pm
Discovery343

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Now I'm really angry.............

I've been waiting for about a month for my spare wheel winch to arrive from the UK. No spare part in Australia. I'm a bit sick of carrying the spare wheel in the back!
 05 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Chawton White with roof rails, driving lights, steel side protection rails. Rego: DISCO3  
Post #410044th Feb 2006 9:40 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

lew wrote:
We all know that holding large stocks of parts for vehicles can be costly, and main dealers know that too.
The problem is that when you speak to the dealer about parts, you are talking to a person who doesn't own a Land rover or possibly even their own car, is used to jumping in to what ever is availible at the end of the day to get home and will probably be working at Renault or Mitsubishi next month.
Urgency to get you back on the road is not their priority, and having a company like Land rover to quote/blame is convenient to say the least.
We deal with them everyday and use the part number system to order parts and still they cock up.
Just remember, most land rover owners know more than most main dealer service managers. Wink
dont forget the indpendent backstreet con artists Exclamation  
Post #410184th Feb 2006 11:45 pm
lew

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

If you have had trouble with dealers and back street independents, perhaps you may look here.
www.4x4network.co.uk
 There's no I in team and no F in bonus  
Post #411095th Feb 2006 9:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >