Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

AND NOW PLEASE....HELP with my summer travel to IRELAND!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Simple

BLFarrar wrote:
Anti clockwise....
Stay in Rosslaire at least a while to watch the ferries....that's all there is there
Drive & explore the coast up the Wiclklow mountains...
Plan to stop explore Dublin at least 3 days....enjoy yourself drink plenty stout & visit the brewery.
Then drive to & stop in Drogheda....See Newgrage, Battle of the Boyle area.
Drive north & from Dundalk into the Mourne area....stay in Newcastle ....maybe climb a mountain or two.
Drive to Belfast through Castlewellan route (not the main road) Co Down at its very best.
Belfast at least two whole days....Titanic museum a must....sample the night life
Carrickfergus next to get to the coastal road...around Antrim. Aim for Busmills & the Giants Causeway visit both. Sample some real Whiskey.
Drive through Derry....1/2 day see the city walls
Drive to Letterkenny....plan a drive around the county...drive the Atlantic Drive....
When you get to Donegal town explore the triangular square.
Next Sligo .....drive around Ben Bulbben....a unique shaped hill.g

Next Galway....the gem of the west coast.
Plan your route to drive the coast....cliffs of mother, the Burren
Plan to stay in Limerick to venture west to drive the ring of Kerry

If you've time to look west Cork....Mizzen Head, Skibbereen, Barley Cove......place for a beach holiday.

Drive east to Cork....stay at least 1 night...it has atmosphere...

From there your a short drive to Rosslaire...
At any point you could stay longer.
At any point you are no more than 5-6 hours away from Rosslaire

All Ireland is safe, very freindly, realistic cost, low stress, fantastic scenery.

Jeezz I live in Ireland and haven't been to half those places. If you get all the above seen you'll be sorted. There are plenty of Irish members on here so don't be afraid to ask for anything while your here. Enjoy.

Post #18110133rd May 2017 9:26 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thank you very much!
....But do you think the route is too ambitious by the distances or the time necessary? Maybe the roads are too slow and too distant? I'm worried a little something like that happened to me many years ago in the highlands of scotland I was not very realistic about the map and the reality surprised me in that sense ... I still enjoy that trip a lot ... it's already over 20 years ago. What you think about this?
 lost in translation!  
Post #18110223rd May 2017 10:05 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the itinery BLFarrar, although i have never been to Ireland, after seeing that i may be planning an excursion.................... Very Happy

Post #18110353rd May 2017 11:21 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
It's compact..

Not a massive place..
ruben wrote:
Thank you very much!
....But do you think the route is too ambitious by the distances or the time necessary? Maybe the roads are too slow and too distant? I'm worried a little something like that happened to me many years ago in the highlands of scotland I was not very realistic about the map and the reality surprised me in that sense ... I still enjoy that trip a lot ... it's already over 20 years ago. What you think about this?

Ireland as a whole is easy to drive about. Now has good fast roads....maybe the odd narrow bits.
Maybe 1 hour 40mins between Dublin & Belfast - as a guide. Go back 18 years ago it was a 3 hour run as the roads then were chronically bad & you drove through every village. Except for Northern Ireland where roads around / across province were & still are really good.

We drive from Hillsborough (our home village) to Longford in less than 3 hours....via Dublin M50.
Both bits have motorways that give you rapid A to B times. (Low cost tolls in the south)
Excepting some odd routes that get a bit of commuter traffic at peak time - Rare to get log-jammed.

If it's touring holiday you haven't got massive distances to swallow up.
Plus get off the main roads & explore a bit - lots of alternate place to see - Ireland is all about village life really - it an agricultural place. A big farm.

We "emigrated" to there in 79 - & we have used the free time we had & still have to explore.
But the "anti-clockwise" suggestion with lots of alternatives / extras from others show possibilities. Lots

You could easily "do" the driving bit I've suggested in 1/4 the time.
Ireland as a whole has a charm & character like no where else - it's people make that that happen.
Worth doing - Yes.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #18110414th May 2017 2:02 am
Snowman

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Lots of good advise.

The Atlantic way is worth looking out, easy to follow and you can easy drop sections and pick it up again.

The West is the jewel in the crown Co Kerry,Clare,Limerick and Galway been very beautiful.

The Dingle peninsula is supposed to be fantastic, best travel in the same direction as the coaches , due to the narrow roads.

The one thing I would suggest to a visitor is a good night out in Galway Town around Quay street. Loads of bars trad music and bands don't need to go out too early.

Fantastic place have a great time.

Imo Ireland is not that Cheap, fuel been the exception.
 Andy.

Series 3 SWB Wagon OEC614Y sold
Discovery 1 50th Anniversary Edition S882 BMA sold
Freelander TD4 ES Y615 YEC sold
Freelander TD4 Kalahari NX53 EVH sold
D2 TD5 XS 2003 YF03 WVW sold
D3 TDV6 2008 SE 

Post #18110604th May 2017 7:06 am
Madrilleno

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

One thing you might want to catch if you're in the right place at the right time, is one of the many country fairs which are run all over Ireland during the summer. Unlike the English versions which tend to consist of fairgrounds, overpriced 'craft' stalls, overpriced tack (the horsey type I mean) and horrid food, the Irish versions are a genuine joy to visit, for example, there is a great one near Swords, north of Dublin. It's difficult to find details on the Internet, but keep an eye out as you travel. http://www.irishshows.org/

If you're around Tara on Midsummers Eve, there is an interesting gathering at the Hill of Tara. Previous one here: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/iri...-1.2257511

Also, Newgrange is fascinating - http://www.newgrange.com/

One to miss - the Butter Museum in Cork - a building comprising two floors about Irish butter.
 There are two rules for success,
1. Never tell everything you know.

RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Guard
Narpy Style RRS Grille from Beanie
Discostick 3rd button FBH controller
IID BT
EGRs Blanked
Geoff Gearbox Flush
Prospeed sliders & compressor guard 

Post #18110814th May 2017 7:52 am
gardendisco

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Lots of good suggestions already, I did a similar trip a number of years ago although I think I only spent a week, so you should have loads of time. I have a few suggestions/highlights of mine. In no particular order;

- Cliffs of Moher; if you're ok with heights there is a well walked path along the edge of the cliffs, just past one of the boundaries.

- The Burren; I find it unbelievable the lengths generations of farmers had to go to in order to farm the land, when you see it you'll understand my meaning. The west coast is generally spectacular.

- The Ring of Kerry; everyone advises driving this bit anti-clockwise, I drove clockwise and boy was I glad I did, the queue of traffic the other way would have driven me mad. Up to you though as there are lots of narrow bits and even more buses. Although everyone drives sedately to take in the fantastic views.

-The Coastal Road from Belfast to the North Coast (2/3 hours) all types of scenery and if you have more time driving up and down some of the Glens (of Antrim) can be worth a look.

-Blarney Castle; near Cork, kissing the Blarney Stone is on many bucket lists.

-Trinity College; right in the center of Dublin yet when you go through the arch you cant hear the city at all, the squares at the front are so peaceful and the buildings incredible. The Long Room, I think its slightly overpriced as it never looks as good as the pictures on google but it is a pretty impressive old library if that's your thing.

-Hurling; if you can when in Dublin or the West Coast try and get to a hurling game. Its the fastest field sport in the world and its an incredible thing to watch, its kind of like an aerial version of hockey which often involves slightly raised tensions. It puts footballers to shame, occasionally you see a hurl (not dissimilar to a hockey stick crossed with a wooden spoon) being broken over someones leg and they just play on. The players are made of hard stuff and have plenty of skill to go with it.

-Road Racing; Not sure if its your thing but motorcycles racing on public roads is another sport for serious men and women, you said the end of June so way after the NW200 and the TT on the Isle of Man should be over by then so there will be Irish road racing, it can be a long day some may feel but the atmosphere is class, the biking community is so friendly as they get together to watch the races. The smell and the sound of the bikes is incredible.

-Star Wars; how could I not mention this on "May the 4th". If you're a big fan loads is filmed in Donegal but also the Skellig Islands off the South West coast are breathtaking, there are boat trips that book out reasonably quickly and I'm not sure whether due to an increased number of visitors whether you can get out onto them but you certainly used to be able to.

If you get the weather Ireland can rival anywhere in the world, its just getting the weather. Good luck and enjoy it.

Post #18111464th May 2017 10:33 am
ruben
D3 Decade 

Many thanks, in each intervention I find a new learning, which after going through google translator goes to my block of notes .... and of course, YES I like motorcycles on race!!

Thanks, I'll try... and will see that SWMBO will to say about Embarassed Laughing
 lost in translation!  
Post #18111664th May 2017 11:16 am
ruben
D3 Decade 

I have already returned from my trip to Ireland. I have practically followed all his advice and the truth is that I have really enjoyed this wonderful country. After crossing France (sorry to say that it is the worst part of the trip with much, fed up with its abusive tolls and other nonsense ...... very French) and arrive at Rosslare aboard ferrie Oscar Wilde ... several days in Dublin And Belfast, travel a lot of the great north coast of Ulster, following for many miles the Wild Atlantic Way, we have followed this road countless times and say that it has been spectacular and highly recommended and a great success, visit Derry after Donegal where I could Enjoy music and traditional dances in small local pubs, go through part of Glenveagh park, get off to Galway (too many tourists for my taste) .... then Kinvara and Ballyclery, ending at the Dingle peninsula (it is of overwhelming beauty) And the touristy, but no less wonderful Kerry ring housed in Beaufort and Killarney National Park (I will never forget the marvelous passage through Black Valley very close to our accommodation) and Limerick .... end of party and N Cork ... and back to the ship in Rosslare after eating some strawberry from the local marking .... in short a marvel of travel that I will never forget ... truly the Irish landscapes have struck me quite deeply....

....thanks to all !!
 lost in translation!  
Post #183699014th Jul 2017 11:09 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Ruben...

Just read all you've written - brilliant !
Glad you came, you liked, & were welcomed.

I'm not Irish - i "emigrated" there in 1979 following work where we set up home, had more family & made a life.
Ireland has been good to our family, providing work when we needed it, a solid place to raise our two girls, be in a place that is truly world class. Despite the troubles we've considered Co. Down our true home.

What we have done is have a fresh pair of eyes so we have motored around all we have seen has been a tourist trip - but in our case without time constraint, so we've dawdled around.

If any body else thinks an Irish holiday
Look for & buy this book.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Illustrated-Guid...Sw5cNYMarp

Don't normally do Riders Digest but this book takes the place into regions, does the geography, natural history, history, place to see. Stunning pictures, maps.
We've used our copy & lent it out. One of the best travel books I have.
Ireland very much worthy of a visit, this book worth getting

Glad you've enjoyed, next time you come back the tea pot is waiting in Hillsborough....or we do hand beer out.

Good Luck !
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 15th Jul 2017 1:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #183700415th Jul 2017 5:02 am
Erea

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to the Emerald Isles. Us locals take it for granted most of the time. I must get a copy of that book as we will be driving around Northern Ireland for a few days in September and I've never been up North yet.

Post #183701415th Jul 2017 5:37 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Nice to hear you had a good time. You are right, it's a marvellous place.

Post #183703415th Jul 2017 7:29 am
1967jester

Location: Usually in the North East though I have been known to travel

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Erea wrote:
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to the Emerald Isles. Us locals take it for granted most of the time. I must get a copy of that book as we will be driving around Northern Ireland for a few days in September and I've never been up North yet.

We stayed at the Pyjama Factory In Bushmills a few years ago, it was a great base for our stay
 Paul.

06 Java Black HSE - gone
12 Baltic Blue HSE - gone
15 Fuji HSE Lux
Club Biscuits, mmmm nice!
Traxide/Luna hybrid & Yellow top
Some Prospeed bits
+ some other stuff
Club N.E.R.D.s. 

Post #183704315th Jul 2017 7:48 am
Erea

Thanks I'll keep the Pyjama factory in mind. Sorry I didn't mean to intrude on your post Rubin, glad you enjoyed Ireland

Post #183707215th Jul 2017 9:06 am
ruben
D3 Decade 

Re: Ruben...

BLFarrar wrote:

Glad you've enjoyed, next time you come back the tea pot is waiting in Hillsborough....or we do hand beer out.
!
..I had not read this, really a pity .... I stayed 4 nights at 180 Dungannon Rd, Portadown, Craigavon BT62 1UR, UK. is a B&B called Cherryville House, The Birches....it's a very good place.... close of you I think, If I not mistake.
..many thanks!!
 lost in translation!  
Post #184915019th Aug 2017 11:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >