Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Nulon Replacement For Lifeguard 6 ATF - Australia
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
WillyEckerslike

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I used just over 16 litres all up doing my flush (with just under a full 4.34litre bottle left out of the five I bought). That was when I could see that the fluid was coming back out as clear and clean as it was going in, so I made sure as best I could that there was as little mixed fluid in there as possible.

I've given it the best chance I can, in my opinion, and you can disagree if you wish.

Post #163025424th Mar 2016 6:53 am
garrycol

Australia 

For sure - we have to make our own decisions and examine the risks and as I said if you are happy with it then go for it.

The dry fill capacity of the gearbox is 9.5litres so if you put 16 litres through it and it was coming out clean I think you replaced just about all of the fluid that was already in there.

One suggestion - if it were me I would take a sample of the gearbox oil, say every 2 second engine service and get it tested - this will tell you how the oil is going.

My local Auto Transmission guy does not support changing the oil at regular intervals but testing it and letting the results determine when it is time to change the oil.

Good luck with it and please keep us informed on how you go.

Garry

Post #163025624th Mar 2016 7:04 am
WillyEckerslike

May be a while till the next service Garry, as it's sitting idle with a suspected snapped crank. Laughing

Post #163026424th Mar 2016 7:59 am
garrycol

Australia 

Ouch Shocked - so what oil you been using in the engine Sad I assume it was caused by a spun big end bearing Sad

I guess with engine issues like that the last of of your concerns is gearbox oil.

Good luck with it - I hope all goes well.

Garry

Post #163026724th Mar 2016 8:09 am
WillyEckerslike

It's had only the recommended Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A5 in it since I bought it back in early 2012.

It was probably the mains that killed it, in the couple of weeks before it went, all of a sudden I had leaks from front and rear seals. So I'm guessing that was evidence of some movement in the crank. Then going up a steep hill, kicked down halfway up, and she went bang.

Timing belt is intact, but there's nothing spinning on flicking the starter.

Territory engine going in soon. Thumbs Up

Post #163029124th Mar 2016 9:14 am
Plane Fixer

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had Nulon put in after a service and the box was so unhappy. It flared sometimes and the changes were very harsh, in fact the way it felt I was sure I was up for a new box.
It was changed back to the genuine ZF fluid and is now silky smooth again.
I will never use substitutes again.
 Fuji White D4 2012. Reversing camera, E-diff, Hi-line sound, Xenon lights, ARB bullbar with Lightforce xenon lights and cargo barrier
Grey nomad and yarn master. 

Post #166069428th May 2016 8:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garrycol

Australia 

That doesn't surprise me - I don't think the risk is worth it.

Repco had a 35-45% off oils sale last Sunday so making Life guard about $26 per litre - I knew about the sale but still forgot to go down and place my order. Sad

Garry

Post #166076929th May 2016 12:52 am
Rich84

Australia 

Plane Fixer wrote:
I had Nulon put in after a service and the box was so unhappy. It flared sometimes and the changes were very harsh, in fact the way it felt I was sure I was up for a new box.
It was changed back to the genuine ZF fluid and is now silky smooth again.
I will never use substitutes again.

Similar experience to me, except my shifts were quite smooth. I was getting a lot of different noise like squawks on gearchanges. I changed the oil out with LG6 and it has been much better, although the noise is not completely cured and I still get some random harmonics coming from somewhere (I suspect the torque converter). I suspect it'll remain until I change the converter. Since I'm the only one who notices them I'm happy to leave the converter till it dies a natural, shuddery death.
 2008 RRS TDV6 - Chawton White/Black/Lined Oak - 20's, h/k, sunroof - 350K KM.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T S-Line - Phamtom Black/exclusive 2-tone valcona 184K
2000 Audi A4 avant 1.8t Q Sport - Phantom Black/black 385K KM
1990 Nissan Pintara TRX - red - lots of mods - 439K KM 

Post #166176031st May 2016 11:27 pm
WillyEckerslike

Rich, that's very interesting, as since I did my engine change, and had to do a fluid top up, I have been getting random harmonics as well.

Not regular, but maybe every 6th or 7th start, and sometimes goes away when warmed up, but sometimes doesn't.

Post #166176431st May 2016 11:50 pm
Rich84

Australia 

Yep, mine are only on takeoff too, I'm assuming when the TCC is partially engaged.

Sounds sort of like a middle frequency squawky noise, I liken it a sound you might get pushing a table over lino, or abrubtly pushing back ones seat... It only happens for a split second and has definitely been doing it since I flushed the trans (and after subsequent flushes) but since the first thing I did to the car when I got it was flush the trans, it might've been doing it before and I just didn't notice it... That was over 100,000km ago! Another time I hear it is when the drivetrain is under load at very low speeds <5km/h. For instance backing up a steep driveway I can hear and feel it in time with something in the drivetrain, or driving down a steep driveway where the drivetrain is braking the car. This leads me to think it could be something else in the drivetrain like the front diff. It does seem to be coming from ahead of the driver.

What fluid did you use to top up?

This noise is my number one gripe with the car.

Post #16617761st Jun 2016 1:53 am
WillyEckerslike

I used the Fuchs Titan 4134 that I used to flush and fill with back in February.

I had no noise at all after the flush, it has only been since the engine change with the subsequent top up.

Post #16617771st Jun 2016 2:06 am
garrycol

Australia 

Rich - give it a dose of Dr Tranny - I think 2 tubes. I have not used it but heard it works well. Will not fix an almost dead TC but if it is just starting to play up can work wonders and stop the issues.

Garry

Post #16617801st Jun 2016 3:58 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

so how does Dr Tranny work when you add that, surely that changes some of the oil properties; so how is that different to using oil that meet the spec's but not supported by ZF Confused
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #16617811st Jun 2016 4:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rich84

Australia 

garrycol wrote:
Rich - give it a dose of Dr Tranny - I think 2 tubes. I have not used it but heard it works well. Will not fix an almost dead TC but if it is just starting to play up can work wonders and stop the issues.

Garry

Yeah to be honest I did have 1 tube of Dr Tranny in there since 170ish k because I was mistaking the growl at 1500-1800rpm that a lot of RRS seem to have (Characteristic Resonance as LR calls it!) as the shudder everyone was going on about. At 230ish K I noticed a bit of shudder if I take off moderately from an intersection, then really boot it. Apparently this is where it starts, before you get the shudder under all loads and fluctuating revs etc.

So, next service I have to do a few other things like the mechatronic sleeve, so I'll add some more Dr Tranny and see if it fixes it for a bit longer. If not, at the first signs of shudder under other loads I'll be replacing the TC, and hoping it that fixes my other wierd harmonics at the same time!

Post #16617821st Jun 2016 5:04 am
garrycol

Australia 

Popelka - Go to the Dr Tranny site to find what it does in detail.

Basically it is not a oil replacement but an additive that is a friction modifier. Most shuddering is caused by wear in the TC causing it is bind/stick when it should be either slipping or locked - Dr Tranny ensures bits in the gearbox stick when they should and slip when they should with little or no binding. Same applies to gearbox clutch plates.

Personally I would only use it where the correct oil is being used and issues first start to show. May stop or at least postpone an expensive transmission/TC rebuild.

Garry

Post #16617831st Jun 2016 5:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >