Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Number Plate Removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Number Plate Removal

I'm trying to fit new number plates and am having difficulty removing the old ones. A good heave brought off the front one - along with the top layer of plastic from the "bumper". Argh!

The old plates appear to have been fitted using a double sided tape, black in colour, but not made of foam. It is proving impervious to everything I try on it to remove it, although it yields very slowly to meths and a thumbnail. I now have the prospect of the rear plate, which is completely covered with this stuff. Can anyone give me a suggestion for removing it as I am running out of thumbnails.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #62726925th Mar 2010 5:48 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Hairdryer to soften the glue??

Post #62727325th Mar 2010 5:55 pm
Navigator

Thumbs Up

Tried that on the front one. Hope that isn't why the surface came away from the bumper. [these things used to be GALVANISED!]
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #62727425th Mar 2010 5:58 pm
al cope

England 

can you not get a sharp long bladed kitchen knife gently down the back of the plate. This is what I used on mine.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #62728425th Mar 2010 6:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chrisc

England 

I'm presuming you've tried ub40 how about a spot of petrol? sounds dangerous but it might work,

Post #62728725th Mar 2010 6:14 pm
Navigator

I've got the rear plate off by using heat and sacrificing the plate. There are eight strips of this stuff, so I'll try each suggestion on a different strip and find the most effective.
Post #62729025th Mar 2010 6:17 pm
neil

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hairdryer, then run a length of dental floss behind like a cheese cutter to cut through the adhesive. Its hard enough to cut but soft enought to save the paint Thumbs Up

Post #62729325th Mar 2010 6:18 pm
Chris B.

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I agree with Neil on this, I tried hot water, WD40, sticky label remover, but in the end just got some dental floss behind it and sawed, easy. Then just rub your fingers over the glue thats left.

Post #62736225th Mar 2010 7:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Darryl

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Just stick new sticky tabs in a different place on the new plate ,leave old ones on stick over top job done Thumbs Up

Post #62737625th Mar 2010 8:19 pm
Walmsleys

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I stuck mine on top of the old one only for TFC to say, "why have you got two plates on the back?" when I met him on the Bison Bushcraft trip! I felt about 2' tall ( and as I'm 6'5" that's not easy)
 2013 D4 HSE Luxe in Indus Silver

(previously 2015 Defender Urban Truck 90XS in Havana)
(previously 2013 D4 XS in Fuji White)
(previously 2011 D4 XS in Stornaway Grey, auto, black leather, reversing camera and removable tow bar)
(previously 2011 Freelander 2, blue (Mrs B's)
(previously 2007 TDV6 D3 SE Zermatt Silver, auto, black leather, an Uncle Ray plate and AT2s)
(previously 2001 Freelander One, blue)
(previously 1967 Series 2, Green) 

Post #62740525th Mar 2010 8:48 pm
SN

chrisc wrote:
I'm presuming you've tried ub40 ..... sounds dangerous but it might work,

So HOW exactly is playing yer old Red Red Wine CD on the stereo gonna help? or be dangerous? Rolling with laughter Wink
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #62745925th Mar 2010 10:03 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

When I put my private plate on I used a pressure washer to remove the stickers left behind by the old plate and it worked a treat.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #62746625th Mar 2010 10:11 pm
Navigator

Well folks, I now have a result! Job done (almost) thanks to all the suggestions.

Looks like the heat from the hair-dryer did in the adhesion of the plastic coating on the front bumper. Beware! The stuff just kept pealing off. Left it to completely cool and it's not doing it now. [new plate JUST covers the damage]

Got the back plate off by flexing the plastic and poking behind with a plastic knitting needle. Al's long knife idea is similar but I reckoned knitting needle was less likely to damage paintwork. I'd got it off before I saw Neil's idea of dental floss - looks a good one. Will try that next time. That left a square of this black tape stuff.

I tried various things to budge the remains of the black tape. Nothing worked, but the label remover did react with the tape and made it bubbly. Then it began to succumb to petrol as suggested by Chrisc. I think the tape must be a form of rubber as it all became a huge gooey mess. Much petrol and scraping with an old credit card eventually got it all off.

Never encountered this black rubber adhesive tape before, and never want to again. Thanks again to all of you for suggestions. This is where the forum pays off!
Post #62752425th Mar 2010 11:45 pm
Darryl

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

No dont leave old ones on i meant pull back plate off but put sticky tabs where there is space inbetween the old stickers then put new one on not put one plate on top of the other Whistle

Post #62753026th Mar 2010 12:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >