OBD tuning, performance improvement and fuel efficiency
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Y_Man

Belgium 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
OBD tuning, performance improvement and fuel efficiency

Hi,

This is a long post so bear with me.

I have bought a new LR Discovery 4 2.7 HSE MY2010.

I recently (2 weeks ago) went for a trip down to northen Spain from Brussels Belgium.

My route was Brussels -> Paris -> Bordeaux -> San Sebastian (via Biarritz).

My driving style is fairly relaxed trying to keep the speed to 130 km/h (81 mph) on the highways.

I followed all the toll roads, high charge for the roads but great roads in France on the toll roads, smooth and new.

The performance figures I achieved were approximately 750 km (468 miles) on a single tank of 70 litres.

That translates to approximately 30 mpg which I thought was not too bad for a large heavy vehicle.

I am thinking of doing some OBD tuning on my Discovery 4.

My questions are :

1. Anybody know any out of the box OBD tuning kits which I can plug into the OBD port and do the remap?
2. Has any body noticed an improvement in mpg after remapping?
3. Has anybody noticed a performance improvement?
4. I noticed on my Disco there is a large (approiximately 15 kg) ballast weight on the rear bumper. Unscrew the cover over the tow hitch and look inside and you will find a large ballast weight hanging loose, why is it there? What does it do other than weight down the rear of the vehicle?

Thanks

Post #8243529th Aug 2011 11:57 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Get in touch with Pete Bell, site sponsor. Remap is the way to go, with pete you get a box that can download/upload map to the ecu. Best way to go as many more parameters can be tuned than just fuel pressure over fueling.

The weights are to reduce resonances in the frame. There's 2, one each side at the rear. If they get blocked up with mud and cant hang freely you might notice some resonant noises.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #82472110th Aug 2011 11:13 pm
Y_Man

Belgium 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Thanks Dick,

All roads seems to lead to Pete, the resident expert on discoveries.

I will ping Pete about remapping.

And for the weights, so they are to dampen resonant frequencies, sounds like a fairly low tech but effective solution.

Wouldn't rubber dampers on the rear suspension setting have been a better way to go? I just think it adds a lot of additional weight to an already heavy vehicle and without the weight there would have been a slight reduction in fuel consumption.

Thanks for the input.

Y Man

Post #82473811th Aug 2011 12:02 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Y-man,
I am interested in OBD tuning of the D4 2.7 too.

AFAIK, the only place that openly advertises they can do it, are Superchips via their Bluefin interface. When I asked them about it however, they said it is the same engine as the D3 and it will work. As there is a different ECU in the D4 to the D3 - and BAS/Alive/anyone else can't program via the OBD port!

I started this thread on this topic:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic68416.html

Let us know if you hear any different. Thanks.

Cheers,
Rob

PS. I asked the local agent about a full refund - if it doesn't work and am waiting for a response. Thumbs Up

Post #82519212th Aug 2011 2:22 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I understood thst the D4 uses 32 bit comms and the D3 only 16 bit comms. Maybe bluefin does both?

Superchips told me when I asked them that they were working on the D4 2.7 map. Shortly after that it appeared on the bluefin wed site.
Superchips do a map for the 3.0L but it has to be intalled by a techie. At the time to nearest one was NZ Shocked but they said he regularly visits Oz.

Rob, did you order a bluefin?

Edit:
Rob, why did you go through the local agent? The bluefin is available over the web and they have a good refund policy. eg if you do not get better fuel consumption they will refund.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #82536313th Aug 2011 12:01 am
colin6307

United Kingdom 
chip

I ask myself why does not the manufacturer fit these units
Regards

Post #82539313th Aug 2011 8:22 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Manufacturers have to tune the car for all sorts of fuel grades and environments (i.e temperature, altitude etc). So the standard tune copes with all these, which is a compromise.

Post #82539413th Aug 2011 8:27 am
colin6307

United Kingdom 
chips

Sir, you make good sense, but somehow i would feel uneasy fitting one.
Would you fit one?
Warranty straight out the window
Cheers

Post #82539713th Aug 2011 9:03 am
caverD3

With the plug in ones you can remove the map and put the old one back on when you go to the dealers.

Also the fault has to be actually caused by an aftermarket device for them to refuse warranty.

OEM tune is designed to get the best fuel economy on the officially cycles. Fuel economy in th real world is often better with a re-map.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #82540313th Aug 2011 9:23 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Re: chips

colin6307 wrote:
Sir, you make good sense, but somehow i would feel uneasy fitting one.
Would you fit one?
Warranty straight out the window
Cheers

If you have a D3 I would get a BAS box as you can just remove it when you wish. You should tell the insurance company though. If you have a D4 then I am not 100% on whether it is easy to remove or not.

But I have the BAS box and my insurance didn't raise the premium. Also got better fuel economy and a much smoother power delivery Thumbs Up

Post #82540413th Aug 2011 9:34 am
colin6307

United Kingdom 
chips

I have a D4, with all the computer stuff on the vehicle, is there not a memory somwhere, to what one has done.
As to warranty, if the dealer finds out through the memory, and declines to carry out warranty, what then.
Fight a battle ship with a peashooter
Regards

Post #82542213th Aug 2011 10:43 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
I understood thst the D4 uses 32 bit comms and the D3 only 16 bit comms.

I do not know what brand of jamacian woodbines you are smoking, but i would be happy to buy some if this is the effect they have. Laughing

The Can bus systems in use by Land Rover follows only the standard or extended addressing prototocols that are clearly defined as either 11 or 29 bits long.

It always struck me as ridiculous that Ford Vehicles were 11 Bit, as were the Freelander 2 and Defender, while the Disco 3, Sport and FFRange Rover were still 29 bit. It therefore came as no surprise to me that in the 2010 revamp these latter 3 were also made 11 bit

Post #82551813th Aug 2011 8:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Thanks for correcting. So what is the problem with the BAS unit not working on the D4 2.7 ?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #82557213th Aug 2011 11:28 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi in this instasnce i cant help remotly. as above the D4 uses 11bit can where the D3 uses 29bit can, my BAS box has only got 29bit discoverys on it at the moment so will not support the D4 as yet.

We can tune the D4 here in our workshops but currently dont have a remote option.

Pete

Post #82566114th Aug 2011 12:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

So I was right it is a bit rate issue just got the figures wrong.
Seems strange they have gone from a higher to lower bit rate as I thought the higher bit rate would be faster? Unless it was as Colin says to be compatable with Ford.
Interesting that my Bluefin unit identifies the ECU as 'Ford' on the D3.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #82566814th Aug 2011 1:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >